Was playing with the playbook at a futureshop and i loaded one of my textbooks (i am a science student and i have almost all my textbooks in .pdf form) and (i think this directly correlates with the ibooks app on ipad).... theres no bookmarks! My biology book had bookmarks for every chapter and on the playbook you cant use them... you simply can just scroll quickly throughout the .pdf

in a book with 1500 pages simply scrolling from page to page or scrolling quickly throughout the book doesnt help.

Now i know in iBooks you can create bookmarks but they wont appear when you transfer the file back to your pc....

just my $0.02
    04-23-11 10:58 AM
    I am in the same boat as you - I teach and most of my textbooks are available in a pdf form with bookmarks. The current Adobe app is horribly limited and does not have any features aside from viewing the document - no highlighting, no notes ability, and so forth. To be blunt, if you are using it to look at a large document such as a textbook, it is horrible.

Hopefully an updated version of a pdf reader will come out with a little more functionality.
    04-23-11 11:16 AM
    does that mean youd go for something like the ipad 2 then?

Do you use flash a lot? outside of for school i dont need it but it was a big selling point for the pb in my opinion
    Jifffer likes this.
    04-23-11 02:50 PM
    I tried to open up the PlayBook warranty document from RIM today and all I got was three blank pages.
    04-23-11 04:09 PM
    The Adobe Reader on the PlayBook is limited and sluggish. I hope RIM comes out with a new pdf reader that's comparable in quality and functionality to iBooks.
    04-23-11 04:23 PM
    School books come in pdf form now? Yikes, l'm obviously getting old.
    jamesuc likes this.
    04-23-11 04:26 PM
    I keep tons of books on pdf's. I'm very disappointed with the pdf support. I hope that soon some 3rd party pdf readers will hit the market.
    04-23-11 04:56 PM
    The fact you can't delete pdf's or word doc's is not a good thing. I can't even find some loaded pdf manuals I put on my PB. I'm discouraged!
    04-23-11 05:21 PM
    The lack of proper pdf support, and the fact there is only one ebook reader: Kobo, which does not even have a dictionary functionality (maybe I missed it), is a huge red flag for anyone considering this as a reading device.
    04-23-11 06:10 PM
    i must agree on this issue. i have tons of PDF's organized in differnt folders. not having a good reader and the ability to contain them in my folders is a big let down so far.. i know were early in the game and after a few days the glammer is wearing off and im ready to put this thing to work.... i hope something is in the works although the PB has been billed by rim from day one as the 1st "Proffesional Tablet" other then the bridge i dont see alot of actuall work to be done on it so far. im crossing my fingers and waiting for updates and "usable" work apps
    dosto and screamlordbyron like this.
    04-23-11 06:49 PM
    I actually asked whether GoodReader will have a playbook version or not. GoodReader is a top PDF reader in iDevices. But unfortunately they don't have plan on Playbook yet.
    04-23-11 07:12 PM
    I thought Adobe and Rim were such great working partners and going to team up to make PB this great tablet experience. Flash is only thing I see that's been decent on release!
    04-23-11 07:53 PM
    As a lawyer, downloading, reviewing, and organizing PDFs is critical. I bought the Playbook instead of the iPad b/c I love my BB (9700), and the PB browser is awesome. i'm willing to give RIM time to work out the kinks, but i truly hope full Dropbox and PDF functionality are in the works.
    screamlordbyron and wallyrulz like this.
    04-23-11 09:45 PM
    As a lawyer, downloading, reviewing, and organizing PDFs is critical. I bought the Playbook instead of the iPad b/c I love my BB (9700), and the PB browser is awesome. i'm willing to give RIM time to work out the kinks, but i truly hope full Dropbox and PDF functionality are in the works.
    As a lawyer too, I'm 100% in agreement.
    04-23-11 10:24 PM
    i must agree on this issue. i have tons of PDF's organized in differnt folders. not having a good reader and the ability to contain them in my folders is a big let down so far.. i know were early in the game and after a few days the glammer is wearing off and im ready to put this thing to work.... i hope something is in the works although the PB has been billed by rim from day one as the 1st "Proffesional Tablet" other then the bridge i dont see alot of actuall work to be done on it so far. im crossing my fingers and waiting for updates and "usable" work apps
    You are absolutely correct - viewing pdf documents, particularly large ones, is hardly profesional on the Playbook as it currently is. And given the close relationship, as someone posted above, that RIM and Adobe have, it's quite funny and disappointing that the official Adobe Reader is so lacking in features and in the ability to handle file management for pdf documents.

I'm forced to agree with one of the other posters above - if your buying this product for a personal e-reader for pdf documents, I would hold off until we either see an update for the Adobe reader or a good third party program is introduced.
    04-23-11 10:35 PM
    and i think the size of playbook was great for those who didnt want an Ipad (bigger than a book sometimes) but this is a real let down though.

Im surprised this wasnt brought up as much before, i find that a lot of people rely on .pdf`s heavily these days...
    04-24-11 01:21 AM
    Doesnt the Kobo book reader allow you to use bookmarks though? It does on my ebook reader
    04-24-11 01:22 AM
    i think this point needs to be really addressed soon. to me it is my biggest issue to date and really goes against the reasons i waited for 6 months to buy this like the rest of u.. i really need the "professional" side of this. didnt really need a $700 version of need for speed... i need to put this thing to work.... come on folks lets drive this point home quickly...PDF' are major here.and i think the bad remarks could actually hurt the sales sooner than later which would be a shame. i really wana see this platform blossom my self
    04-24-11 09:35 AM
    I'm a little confused by the folder placement question. If I have PDFs in specific folders on my BB MicroSD card, they do not get 'moved' when I open them (Bridged) on the PB right? Or is it that I can only open them by opening the Adobe app and searching for them through that App?

I don't mind that, but I don't want my files being yanked around out of my folders.
    04-24-11 09:46 AM
    i wont yank them out of ur folders but..... i will not display them in folders on the playbook. it just gives a list of all of them whisch is usless if u have many like i do
    04-24-11 10:59 AM
    Ok cool, thanks.

I can live with that, until a software improvement or better PDF apps come around.
    04-24-11 11:03 AM
    This is typical for Adobe....make a product with only the most basic (or less) of features, then wait to see what the competition brings out. Afterall, why put any more effort into creating or implementing unwanted or unused features until absolutely necessary. And what better way to find that out than to see what your competition comes up with....sheesh!
    04-24-11 11:38 AM
    I actually asked whether GoodReader will have a playbook version or not. GoodReader is a top PDF reader in iDevices. But unfortunately they don't have plan on Playbook yet.
    You just made me very very sad.

I'm currenlty using a IPAD2, but was planning to move to the 10 inch PB. I hope GR comes to PB it is such a fantastic tool.
    05-12-11 08:08 AM
    tried to use the pb to give a presentation and the pdf just kept freezing. super frustrating
    05-13-11 10:23 PM
    i wrote to customer support today because i couldn't open password protected pdf's and they said that maybe in upcoming updates we will have some more features... not much but hopefully we'll get some more features...
    05-13-11 10:33 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD