This is huge news folks...BB bridge is going to offer some amazing capabilities in the future!

RIM with QNX in general is going to have some wickedly powerful and very advanced sdk's and API's in the near future...

Just imagine the software capabilities...Apple who?

BlackBerry PlayBook Bridge to be Opened Up to Developers! - BerryReview
    05-06-11 08:05 AM
    remember the last word...FUTURE..heheh
    FUTURE...IMAGINE..what we need is basically now. life's too short for promises. a month is maximum to get the bridge optimised. next month hp touchpad will come...another competition
    05-06-11 08:12 AM
    This is a great announcement for folks without a tethering plan. However, performance must be addressed for true value to be recognized.
    05-06-11 08:14 AM
    right now my pb on bridge is just a bigger screen for emails. can't even read news. there's nothing professional about it hehe.
    my ipad can do magazine subscriptions. something to read while not connected. rim need to get zinio or something.
    if the bridge allow me to see and read news apps on my pb, that's good enough for me.
    05-06-11 08:18 AM
    I am as berry-centric as the rest of the people on here, but I place as much stock in what the OP said as any negative rumour about the Playbook.

As much as I love talking about all things berry, I eventually(read: right now) want to see these features working. I love my Playbook and I am not trading it for anything. I want to hear less "Oh wait untils" and talk in general and start seeing some of the wonders this book is capable of.

It's all great that

"BB bridge is going to offer some amazing capabilities in the future!"

It doesn't even have a File Manager. I can live without native calender/mail/gps(Mine actually works so I can't gripe, but if it did not, then I still would not mind) and they can phase all that stuff over time (In the near future perhaps?) I am getting tired of the /// thing just to see what I have on here.

Just typing...
    05-06-11 08:25 AM
    same feeling as me.
    so much for promises..can only do so much promises.
    second day with pb, only good thing is music player. the rest is mediocre.
    bridge is so-so. bbm is not critical for professional grade tablet. for teens perhaps. a solid email, news experience is. and reliability as we experience and expect from our bold, onyx or torches.
    05-06-11 08:39 AM
    same feeling as me.
    so much for promises..can only do so much promises.
    second day with pb, only good thing is music player. the rest is mediocre.
    bridge is so-so. bbm is not critical for professional grade tablet. for teens perhaps. a solid email, news experience is. and reliability as we experience and expect from our bold, onyx or torches.
    I would disagree with you. BBM, in my field of work (manufacturing) has changed how we do business for the better. So having the BBM working is a plus in order to make the tablet useful in the workplace. Secondly, the SAP application to be launched in the summer will also allow me to do a lot of my work on the go around the plant, vs. being tied down to my desk.

As far as news, I quite like the NEWS360 app currently available, as well as the GeeReader app that syncs your Google Reader RSS to the PB.
    05-06-11 08:46 AM
    I am luckier than most I suppose, in that I live and work in downtown Toronto. I literally have WiFi access 24/7, so I def use my PB a lot. I stream media from my computer at home. I have two berries, so it's kind of cool that I can keep one of them hidden away and not have to interact with it. I haven't had any of the major problems like hardware defects, loss of various signals. This is my first tablet purchase and I am pretty happy with it.

Again with the "in the summer" (smh)

Can you use it now?
    05-06-11 08:49 AM
    when summer comes, 4G version will come out, and will we be forgotten?
    gaius : bbm is indeed used very widely. but takes too long to type on touchscreen, any touchscreen.
    05-06-11 08:54 AM
    No, RIM has a history of back support...lol

They'd better cause it looks like their plans are getting ahead of the tech.

bbm in portrait mode. It's thumbtastic!!!!
    05-06-11 08:56 AM
    The capability of pairing an app between the PB and BB has already been done by Poynt:

Poynt introduces pairing for BlackBerry PlayBook - Connects BlackBerry Smartphones to BlackBerry Tablet (video) | CrackBerry.com

All opening up Bridge to 3rd parties will do is make it less cumbersome for apps to pair with the PB and BB. I see this as being very near future.
    05-06-11 08:58 AM
    when summer comes, 4G version will come out, and will we be forgotten?
    gaius : bbm is indeed used very widely. but takes too long to type on touchscreen, any touchscreen.
    I don't think you'll be forgotten. The only difference will be the 4g one has a radio in it. It will have the same OS and parts beside the 4g radio.
    05-06-11 08:59 AM
    I don't think you'll be forgotten. The only difference will be the 4g one has a radio in it. It will have the same OS and parts beside the 4g radio.
    You think that the PB will all be running the same OS when the carriers get ahold of them? ROFL
    Don't forget the carrier content...wakka wakka
    05-06-11 09:01 AM
    well if we have radio we don't have to worry about bridge or stairs. direct to BIS or BES as our blackberries.
    05-06-11 09:03 AM
    You think that the PB will all be running the same OS when the carriers get ahold of them? ROFL
    Don't forget the carrier content...wakka wakka
    So, 3G iPads and Xooms don't run the same OS as their wifi only siblings? Remember we are talking about tablets here, not smartphones.
    05-06-11 09:05 AM
    I am luckier than most I suppose, in that I live and work in downtown Toronto. I literally have WiFi access 24/7, so I def use my PB a lot. I stream media from my computer at home. I have two berries, so it's kind of cool that I can keep one of them hidden away and not have to interact with it. I haven't had any of the major problems like hardware defects, loss of various signals. This is my first tablet purchase and I am pretty happy with it.

Again with the "in the summer" (smh)

Can you use it now?
    I'm on the same boat. I have the PB on the whole time and it works great for me. My specific comment was about BBM being used only for tweens and not in a professional environment.

Also, currently SAP isn't available on any tablet and it's something that wasn't even announced until this week. The only reason I mentioned is to illustrate the fact that comments saying that current or future functionality are non-existent for the workplace are wrong.

Lastly, SAP is being developed by SAP, not RIM. Their name is on the line and with numerous rollouts throughout their history, this should be just another one for them.
    05-06-11 09:05 AM
    So, 3G iPads and Xooms don't run the same OS as their wifi only siblings? Remember we are talking about tablets here, not smartphones.
    I may be a little cynical cause everything that uses data, costs money here. WiFi remains free(you know what I mean)

All I know is, once a carrier has a hold of a device, they see what they can get out of it.
    05-06-11 09:08 AM
    I'm on the same boat. I have the PB on the whole time and it works great for me. My specific comment was about BBM being used only for tweens and not in a professional environment.

Also, currently SAP isn't available on any tablet and it's something that wasn't even announced until this week. The only reason I mentioned is to illustrate the fact that comments saying that current or future functionality are non-existent for the workplace are wrong.

Lastly, SAP is being developed by SAP, not RIM. Their name is on the line and with numerous rollouts throughout their history, this should be just another one for them.
    So....uhmmmmmmmmmm, that's a No? Right? LoL

Seriously though, I wasn't saying that there wasn't anything in the works, but I am just getting tired of it being all I hear. I am patient though, so no worries.
    05-06-11 09:10 AM
    if we all have patience, this forum will be empty.
    05-06-11 09:17 AM
    All I want is for the apps that now demand wifi to work with the bridge; AppWorld, Weather, YouTube, etc.
    05-06-11 09:28 AM
    All I want is for the apps that now demand wifi to work with the bridge; AppWorld, Weather, YouTube, etc.
    That's a tether, not a bridge. You need to tether your phone and then they will work. Youtube should work if you use the Bridge Browser though.
    05-06-11 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD