I just got a Playbook and within 24 hours, I bricked it. I set it up without any problem. However, I messed up my Wi-Fi file Sharing ID and could not remove the Password. Since I did a Backup with the Desk Manger, I performed a Restore. Restore did not remove the Wi-Fi Password. So I did a Security Wipe thinking that would bring me back to original.
    The Security Wipe put my Playbook in a Loop with just the Boot Up screen. So I use the Desk Manager to connect the Playbook and reinstall the OS and updating at the same time. I was able to load and update new OS on the Playbook but this time around my Playbook could not be set up. I am getting a 2012 error message, stating that my Playbook cannot be authorized.
    I tried the 3 finger Power on but I just could not do that with my Playbook. Not sure if it was me or the Power Button is not working correctly.
    I must have reloaded the OS 4-5 times with the Desk Manager but each time; I am getting the same error 2012.
    Contacted Blackberry Help and the Customer Support told me to get the Playbook out and in of range or reconnect to a different Wi-Fi. Both of these I did and still getting 2012 error message.
    I am now waiting for the Customer Support to email me. I even ordered a Piel Frama iMagnum case for my BlackBerry Playbook right after I got my Playbook.
    I sure hope I can get my Playbook working again. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by EWY; 12-17-11 at 02:04 AM.
    12-17-11 01:48 AM
    Let us know if they offer you a replacement or offer a refund if BB think it is not fixable... I'd love a full refund.

I'd love to help you otherwise. Hopefully you'll get it fixed.
    12-17-11 01:54 AM
    I just got a Playbook and within 24 hours, I bricked it. I set it up without any problem. However, I messed up my Wi-Fi file Sharing ID and could not remove the Password. Since I did a Backup with the Desk Manger, I performed a Restore. Restore did not remove the Wi-Fi Password. So I did a Security Wipe thinking that would bring me back to original.
    The Security Wipe put my Playbook in a Loop with just the Boot Up screen. So I use the Desk Manager to connect the Playbook and reinstall the OS and updating at the same time. I was able to load and update new OS on the Playbook but this time around my Playbook could not be set up. I am getting a 2012 error message, stating that my Playbook cannot be authorized.
    I tried the 3 finger Power on but I just could not do that with my Playbook. Not sure if it was me or the Power Button is no working correctly.
    I must have reloaded the OS 4-5 times with the Desk Manager but each time; I am getting the same error 2012.
    Contacted Blackberry Help and the Customer Support told me to get the Playbook out and in of range or reconnect to a different Wi-Fi. Both of these I did and still getting 2012 error message.
    I am now waiting for the Customer Support to email me. I even ordered a Piel Frama iMagnum case for my BlackBerry Playbook right after I got my Playbook.
    I sure hope I can get my Playbook working again. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
    Call them, in your case do not email. Have a life person to deal with.

If you want to try to register yourself with the OS 2.0 beta and see if that gives you some luck. But it seems like your playbook seems to think it is stolen or something.

You said you got it within 24 hours. I'd try exchanging it.

Good luck either way.
    12-17-11 02:04 AM

You said you got it within 24 hours. I'd try exchanging it.

Good luck either way.
    I agree with menaknow, since you bought it within 24 hours, try to do an exchange or return/refund, and if you still like the PB, re-purchase a new one
    12-17-11 03:29 AM
    I would call Blackberry tech support those guys know what they are doing. You can also check our IRC chat those guys may be able to help you also. #dingleberry IrCQ-Net chat room on IRC
    12-17-11 08:31 AM
    :::

Is this a wide problem or just yours a special case...?

12-17-11 08:43 AM

Is this a wide problem or just yours a special case...?

This is the first I have ever heard of this problem. I just read a post about a security swipe improving battery life, but certainly not bricking your PB.
    12-17-11 10:52 AM
    This is the first I have ever heard of this problem. I just read a post about a security swipe improving battery life, but certainly not bricking your PB.
    if three button power down works, he should be able to fix it by connecting DM to powered off PB through USB, but...
    12-17-11 11:10 AM
    If I am in the OP's shoes and have the opportunity to return/exchange the brand new few days old PB, I would grab that chance to get a new one.

Who knows... if OP managed to fix this now but what if the same brick problem resurfaced after a year later after the warranty... then OP will be left holding the bag....

after 3 months of free tech support, RIM would not touch it unless they charge $30 per incident. If the PB bricked after a year warranty expired , game over.... unless OP bought RIM's 2 year extended warranty for $129
    Last edited by Ric01; 12-17-11 at 11:51 AM.
    12-17-11 11:48 AM
    if three button power down works, he should be able to fix it by connecting DM to powered off PB through USB, but...
    yes its not bricked u just have to do this above. You should have read the beginners guide here on crackberry before you started. I discovered this bug on day 1
    12-17-11 11:58 AM
    sounds to me like the power down and plug in trick would work. i say let it keep going till its battery dies. then start desktop manager on your computer, then plug in playbook. click fix or repair when u see the prompt. other than that im not sure except to sqy it is definatly an error from not being able to connect to the activation server. can it do the update through the desktop manager? maybe signing up for the beta is a good sugestion, worth a try.
    12-17-11 12:09 PM
    Thanks for all the responses. I got tired of waiting for email and called Blackberry Playbook Support this morning. I was put on hold for about 30 minutes while someone on the other end was trying to do something to allow my unit to connect to the upgrade server. I really have no idea what the other end was doing and I was not told to do anything. Later the Customer Service told me that my unit would need to be sent in to be fixed or replaced.

I was redirected to the Return Department. I was given a choice to send my unit in to be fixed (if it could not be fixed, I would get a replacement) or have them send me a new one (Blackberry will charge my credit card). When I get my new Playbook, I need to return it within 10 days and get my charges reversed.

Since my Playbook has a very low recessed Power Button, I took a chance and opt to get a new one. The Return Department Service Rep did tell me that she could put a note for the Service folks to look at the Power Button but there is no guarantee that it will work better.

I think I made the Right choice as if I send my unit back; I have to wait for Blackberry to send me an empty FedEx book and return my Playbook. The turnaround is about 10 days to get my Playbook back. If I opt for a new unit, I get it in 2-3 days. There is also an extra benefit that I did not realized until after I made the decision. I was told to return the Playbook only without any of the original accessories. Assuming that I would get a new retail unit, I would have scored an extra set of accessories. That means I could have an extra charger to use in the office.

The total phone call told me about 45 minutes but I am a happy camper now.

Thanks again for all those responded.
    12-17-11 03:20 PM
    You wiped from Os 2 or 1.0.8?
    12-17-11 06:12 PM
    i have wiped downgraded upgraded rooted you name it never had problem i dont know what u guys do to brick a berry . 1.08 1.07 20. never an isue
    12-17-11 06:53 PM
    I wiped from a Stock OS. It was updated to the latest when I set it up the first time. I did a Restore from my Desk Manager but it did not reset my WiFi File Share Password. That is when I tried the Security Wipe. For reasons unknown, the Playbook stuck in a loop. I let it ran for 2 hours before I powered it down. This happened on a brand new 64Gb unit.

The method that Blackberry Playbook uses to Setup is unusual. This requires a WiFi connection and an upgrade server to authorize.

It seems, it would be better to allow the Playbook to boot into the OS first and then let the user manually checked the update.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    12-17-11 08:49 PM
    I bought one for my sister, and to make her Xmas morning a little easier I updated the SW to the latest (360+MB download), then wiped it to remove my BB ID. I then repeated the process to ensure that the huge SW update stuck (it did), but it still demanded another 87MB download. So I wiped it one last time to remove my BB ID again and get it back to the start-up screen, powered it off, gift wrapped it up and mailed it to her.

So three wipes that all went smoothly.
    12-18-11 01:05 PM
    I did a Security Wipe about two weeks ago. I have not been able to do any kind of backup (neither Full nor Custom would do anything) using Desktop Manager (DM) so after weeks of stalling I finally made sure that all of my pics, docs, music, etc was copied MANUALLY to my computer.

Used the internal Security Wipe on the pb using options/security.

While the restoration of tons of data and a slew of apps takes time, I have been able to do a backup and I've now done about 6 over the two week period.

So Security Wipe worked fine for me.
    12-18-11 02:11 PM
    I did a Security Wipe about two weeks ago. I have not been able to do any kind of backup (neither Full nor Custom would do anything) using Desktop Manager (DM) so after weeks of stalling I finally made sure that all of my pics, docs, music, etc was copied MANUALLY to my computer.

Used the internal Security Wipe on the pb using options/security.

While the restoration of tons of data and a slew of apps takes time, I have been able to do a backup and I've now done about 6 over the two week period.

So Security Wipe worked fine for me.
    can I ask - What, if anything, did not come back to your PB after the security wipe but prior to your restore?

If I understand the other posts I've read, the stock/demo video and some preloaded apps do not re-appear after a security wipe?

Sorry for the thread jack, I have not yet, had to to any kind of security wipe and I am wondering what benefits or downsides to doing one would be.

I'd hate to be in the same situation as the OP...

Thanks for any help!
    12-18-11 10:56 PM
    The Demo Video (affectionately known at the Turtle film) did not come back. And I'm sorry, somewhere there is or was a link to a copy to download.

Someone mentioned the wallpapers that are included and those did come back. I'm not aware of losing any of the apps that were installed. That may be different if you are outside of the US/Canada/???? Maybe some apps don't come back but I can't say.

For me, the benefits are being able to do a backup of my apps and settings. I have always kept copies of most other files manually backed up to my computer - files such as videos, pics, docs, pdfs, music.

I also went through as many of the OPTIONS screens as possible to copy (typing the info) manually my various settings for ip addresses, security, screen, etc settings.

Downside - it was tedious restoring 20 gigs of data. For some reason drag/drop/copy did not completely copy files and I had to do some manual checking to figure out what was missing.

And since I did not have a backup of my apps, I have had to download those again which can also be time consuming. I also lost one or two apps that changed price from free (special offers) to a price if I did not want the upgrade.

I really have not heard of many (or other than the OP) winding up with a really bricked pb. Folks have restored using the DEBRICK procedure - just make sure you have access to wifi - actually, you need that for the Security Wipe, too.
    Serkle K likes this.
    12-19-11 01:31 AM
    12-19-11 04:42 AM
    I had a doctor appointment this morning and did not go to work. Upon returning from my appointment I just saw the FedEx delivery man was ready to leave. What Luck! I stopped him and got my replacement Playbook. This replacement unit is not in retail package. It was in a brown box by itself. There is no accessory that came with it. No wonder the Customer Service lady told me just to return my defective unit without any accessories. I was hoping that I would get another set of accessories.
    The replacement set up just like the first one without any issue. I notice that this replacement playbook seems to sit flatter than the original one. It is not like that the original one has a noticeable bulge. I only noticed that when I put them side by side. I am happy to say that the replacement Playbook has a beautiful screen with no pixel issue just like the original one. The Power Button is just as recessed as before but it seems to be easier to press.
    I hope this new Playbook would allow me to Security Wipe when I need to. So far so good, if I can get on another big discount Sale on the Playbook, I might pick up another one for my son.
    By the way, the return process is quick easy. Just place the return unit in the same box that came in and place it in the new return plastic FedEx Envelop. Take it to the FedEx Store or call FedEx to pick up. That is it
    12-20-11 05:23 PM
    how do u do a security wipe???
    12-21-11 01:49 PM
    Gear, security, security wipe.
    12-21-11 02:00 PM
    Do not do a security wipe unless you also have wifi access. It will be necessary to complete the reinstallation of the OS.
    12-21-11 03:38 PM
    The 'NFS Underground' and 'Tetris' games will disappear with security wipe. They can be downloaded again.
    12-21-11 09:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD