I will take a serious look at any 7"-8" tablets that run Windows 8 Pro. Unfortunately, such devices don't exist yet.
    I'm waiting for the same device... probably a replacement for my forgotten and abandoned dearly PlayBook... I may sound bitter... but I'm not... really...

Posted via Z10
    05-20-13 09:16 PM
    Rooted nook color Cheap, but works.

*i should clarify though... It's not "better" by any stretch of the imagination
    Last edited by SlcCorrado; 05-21-13 at 09:19 AM.
    05-20-13 09:17 PM
    Sorry for getting back so late. Anyway, I always need a good browser that can run well, and smoothly. App selection needs to be decent. All I am asking for, is that the main key apps run smoothly and are quick, the OS to look nice an have lots of good stock apps that I will actually use. Now, I know that's a long list, but as last long as the company actually cares about the customer and their tablet, I'll be fine.
    If you use a lot of Google services, then an Android tablet makes sense. The mobile version of the Chrome browser is great. I own a Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone and it makes up for most of my PlayBook's deficiencies as far as apps are concerned. Android tablets are also good for customizing. Go for a Nexus device if you want a "pure" Android experience. Nexus devices are also very easy to flash with custom ROMs if you want to try other Android variants out there.

iOS is not a bad platform. It has the best selection of apps of any mobile platform out there. If apps are what you really want, then you can't go wrong with an iPad. The hardware is, perhaps, the best of any tablet out there. The OS itself dated and tired looking (in my opinion), but it's still very efficient and gets the job done. The notification capabilities in iOS were clearly an afterthought and are a joke compared to Android and BlackBerry devices, though. I also personally don't like the "one port fits all" approach and having to use various adapters depending on what you want to do. The external speaker is also a joke.

If price is a concern, and you've already ruled out the PlayBook, then the Nexus 7 is probably your best bet.

If you want to pay a little more and get the best apps, go with an iPad Mini.

If you don't care so much about apps and want the best combination of hardware, OS, storage, and bang for your buck, then get a 64 GB PlayBook like I just did.
    05-20-13 09:35 PM
    Sorry for getting back so late. Anyway, I always need a good browser that can run well, and smoothly
    Yeah, the PlayBook browser doesn't cut it. It can 'get by', but pretty glitchy and crash prone. I use this more and more.

BlackBerry World - Fast Browser

. App selection needs to be decent.
    What specific apps?

All I am asking for, is that the main key apps run smoothly and are quick
    Here's where I think BlackBerry 10 on the PlayBook would help it a lot. That AIR platform was so sluggish. Could never quite reconcile why the PlayBook would pull off games like MODERN COMBAT and DEAD SPACE, yet simple AIR apps like Black or the browser would be so sluggish. Native Cascades would probably do wonders for the experience.

the OS to look nice an have lots of good stock apps that I will actually use. Now, I know that's a long list, but as last long as the company actually cares about the customer and their tablet, I'll be fine.
    If it were me, I'd go for the iPad Mini or the Nexus 7. They're cheap, slick and have lots of apps. I'd probably go for the Mini first.
    05-20-13 10:14 PM
    The OP question is fair but largely moot...

No 2 likely-minded users of the same device, even if they are twins, will find their experiences identical. There is always a feature or a set of key features for which - we think to ourselves and tell others - we like our gadgets. But in reality, we are simply attached to our toys and, lets face it, it is an irrational thing even if the gadget is mighty capable.

i admit, i am as guilty of the trap as anyone, BUT my present tablet - a PB of course - was the result of a diligent search into myself first, and only then, the tablet. Once I understood what I want, it became obvious pretty soon that at least 5 or 6 different tablets could do the job splendidly but for one reason or another I found faults with all but the PB because at the end of the day it was a question of, yes, a bang for a buck.. That's how I am wired, and I have a sneaking suspicion there are many 'brothers and sisters' out there

That said, and having taken an oath of never becoming a victim to Apple's mass hysteria, I am open to Androids if and when BB abandons the tablet business.

My rationale? Lots of potential is there due to open source nature of their OS. Openness, in addition to being democratic and a driver for progress, offers a savvy customer an advantage - a choice of tablets from competing hardware vendors but all speaking the same android language.

A hint. If sporting the latest and greatest super-sexy Galaxy isn't your thing, some outdated Android OS tablets are not only solid performers but also priced well. Then again, once you go that way, there is still no tablet that can top the overall value of a Playbook bought on sale. None !
    05-20-13 11:07 PM
    If I were you I would get either a nexus 10 or a nexus 7 depending on your size preference. If your into 7in form factors wait until the nexus 7 refresh. Nexus devices have stock Android which by their nature runs way better than custom manufacturer overlays. These also tend to be dollar/pound for dollar/pound the best devices available in their respective categories. You get premium hardware, androids rich ecosystem, and stable always updated software straight from Google at a very cost friendly price. Can't beat it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    erichobo likes this.
    05-21-13 12:17 AM
    Basically, OP, you're asking a bunch of PlayBook users, and dare I say fans, which tablet is better than their PlayBooks. While you can (and have) get (gotten) unbiased advice on this, might it be a better place were you to ask others, in other devices' forums, what would be their recommendation.

For me, there is none better than PlayBook, which is why I have two...the second in the event that the first one dies, as a hedge, apparently well-considered, that BlackBerry wouldn't have the sort of success with this tablet as I had hoped. Just the same, rumours abound and the potential of BB10 may vindicate my decision.
    05-21-13 06:03 AM
    Laptops replaced PC home computers.

Tablets replaced Laptops.

Mobile Phone Devices have been around a lot longer then tablets, but in this day and age the mobile phones are replacing the tablet, soon tablets will be no more as many people will use a mobile phone device for all their needs.

I for one still like a tablet for carrying around instead if my 17" widescreen laptop. The 7 " playbook is all I need nice size screen and fits into my inner coat jacket.

My Z10 is awesome does more then they playbook can do at the present moment, but that will change in the next few months is Playbook does get 10.0 or 10.1 OS and then it will be same stuff as the Z10 can do, just on a bigger device is all.
    05-21-13 07:11 AM
    Check what's coming to a Walmart near you in two days for $149, (I'd skip the $99 version personally since it doesn't have GPS, mini HDMI out or the higher resolution screen like the Pro model does.)

Hisense Sero 7 tablets available for $99 and up (at some Walmart stores) - Liliputing

Hisense Sero 7 Pro is a $149 tablet with an NVIDIA Tegra quad-core processor, 7 inch screen running Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OS.

Here are the full specs:
    7 inch, 1280 x 800 IPS display
    1.3 GHz NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core processor
    Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
    1GB of RAM
    8GB of built in storage
    MicroSD card slot can accept up to 32GB cards for expandable storage
    mini HDMI output
    3.5 mm headset jack
    802.11a/b/g/n WiFi
    Stereo speakers
    Bluetooth 3.0
    GPS
    NFC
    5.0 MP rear camera with flash and auto-focus
    2.0 MP front-facing camera
    4000 mAh battery
    7.9″ x 5″ x 0.43″

The $149 price tag seems pretty reasonable considering this tablet has the specs of a $199 *Google Nexus 7 with half the storage (Nexus has 16 GB), but with removable storage, HDMI output, and a few other bonus features...pretty sweet considering the price and since it's Walmart, you can return it if it's total crap.

(More pictures available at Liliputing.com at the above URL.)

Someone named Adam bought the Pro model already from Walmart and speaks about the tablet in the comments on this page:

http://liliputing.com/2013/05/rumor-...99-and-up.html

One in particular about build quality: "Works fine--feels just like about any other Android tablet (for better and worse). Build quality seems solid and the back has a nice rubbery, slightly bumpy, texture to it. Speakers are mediocre compared to an iPad mini. Screen looks good (I couldn't pick a winner between the iPad mini and the Hisense, with maybe a slight edge in text sharpness with the Hisense). The rear camera sucks compared to my iPhone 4S, but probably about par for the course for Android tablets.

Running version 4.2.1. No 4.2.2 update showing as of right now.''

Attachment 163807

Attachment 163810

PDF User Manual from FCC page (might have to rename to .PDF first, I had to) https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...id=W9HPADP0001

Hisense is a Chinese company trying to make more inroads in the USA. They'll be launching all kinds of things including tablets in the next few days... https://twitter.com/Hisense_USA/stat...33944215511040 and http://hisense-usa.com/
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 05-21-13 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Added build quality comment
    05-21-13 09:11 AM
    The Z10 is a better tablet and it's not even a tablet.
    05-21-13 09:13 AM
    And it costs a sh1t ton more too...
    erichobo likes this.
    05-21-13 09:46 AM
    And it costs a sh1t ton more too...
    Just saying, if you have it then you are good to go. A LOT of people haven't picked up their PlayBooks since they got the Zed.
    05-21-13 09:54 AM
    Just saying, if you have it then you are good to go. A LOT of people haven't picked up their PlayBooks since they got the Zed.
    Sorry, large phones are nice but they are still not 7inch viewing surfaces. While I'm an old codger I am lucky as I do not need reading glasses to read a book and can read small print on my 9930 but, still and all, I like seeing stuff on the larger screen with larger fonts. I prefer watching a video on the larger screen and showing off my photos on a larger screen.

Make-do on a smaller screen - certainly. Prefer it - no. Out and about with a smaller screen - yes. Prefer it - well, it is portable.
    kbz1960 and erichobo like this.
    05-21-13 10:42 AM
    I agree with F2. And really, the only reason we're having this discussion at ALL is because of the lack of public noise BlackBerry is making for their own PlayBook getting (or not) BB 10. Ya ya, Thorsten said so "soon", blah blah blah, but I find his words about as useful as taking a leak into a brisk wind these days...
    erichobo and tofnow like this.
    05-21-13 11:04 AM
    I'm a huge fan of the playbook, but it has gotten a bit long in the tooth. I'm planning on upgrading to a Microsoft Surface next month. I refuse to get anything Apple or Android so it looks like the best option. Plus, since my Z10 is black they will at church quite nicely. Not as well as the Z10 and PlayBook, but BlackBerry hasn't left me much of a choice unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    erichobo likes this.
    05-21-13 11:34 AM
    I will take a serious look at any 7"-8" tablets that run Windows 8 Pro. Unfortunately, such devices don't exist yet.
    Exactly what I'm wanting also. Since Thor says tablets are dead and they are not supporting, my opinion, the pb any longer. I don't want a RT win one either.
    05-21-13 11:42 AM
    If only it had a larger screen. Phablet's for me are tweeners also. Too large for a phone and too small for a tablet. I use reading glasses with my pb!
    05-21-13 11:51 AM
    i like the surface because of the office apps for work
    i like the nexus because of the chrome integration screen and size
    and i like chromebooks/chrome because they are less likely to get compromised while browsing and less of a headache for upkeep

the playbooks without integration to a blackberry phone is a losing proposition
    hell it was never designed from the start to be a standalone device but more an extension of your primary communication device the keyboard based blackberry.

as far as ipads, the 13" mac air is still the best bet for any productivity device

tablets are in the end just really good just ereaders and entertainment devices not productivity machines unless its eforms based processing.
    05-21-13 12:33 PM
    I'm thinking of my next move after PB. So far, the only tablet that looks appealing is Sony's new Xperia Z: Water resistant, super thin. But it lacks an HDMI port, and it's bigger at ~10". I'm not interested in iOS or MS.

I'll probably wait until closer to Christmas to see what's coming out.....
    05-21-13 10:55 PM
    Thats the whole point I want to get ideas from people like me, who currently own a Playbook. It is a good way to see how they compare it to the PB.
    Basically, OP, you're asking a bunch of PlayBook users, and dare I say fans, which tablet is better than their PlayBooks. While you can (and have) get (gotten) unbiased advice on this, might it be a better place were you to ask others, in other devices' forums, what would be their recommendation.

For me, there is none better than PlayBook, which is why I have two...the second in the event that the first one dies, as a hedge, apparently well-considered, that BlackBerry wouldn't have the sort of success with this tablet as I had hoped. Just the same, rumours abound and the potential of BB10 may vindicate my decision.
    05-21-13 11:51 PM
    I am really interested in the Nexus 7 or 10. Checks those out. Although, I'm going to give BB the summer to atleast talk about the PB, before I go off and buy something else.
    I'm thinking of my next move after PB. So far, the only tablet that looks appealing is Sony's new Xperia Z: Water resistant, super thin. But it lacks an HDMI port, and it's bigger at ~10". I'm not interested in iOS or MS.

I'll probably wait until closer to Christmas to see what's coming out.....
    05-21-13 11:54 PM
    Ehh, I'll pass. It seems like a good tablet for a kid, that JUST wants to play games.
    Check what's coming to a Walmart near you in two days for $149, (I'd skip the $99 version personally since it doesn't have GPS, mini HDMI out or the higher resolution screen like the Pro model does.)

Hisense Sero 7 tablets available for $99 and up (at some Walmart stores) - Liliputing

Hisense Sero 7 Pro is a $149 tablet with an NVIDIA Tegra quad-core processor, 7 inch screen running Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OS.

Here are the full specs:
    7 inch, 1280 x 800 IPS display
    1.3 GHz NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core processor
    Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
    1GB of RAM
    8GB of built in storage
    MicroSD card slot can accept up to 32GB cards for expandable storage
    mini HDMI output
    3.5 mm headset jack
    802.11a/b/g/n WiFi
    Stereo speakers
    Bluetooth 3.0
    GPS
    NFC
    5.0 MP rear camera with flash and auto-focus
    2.0 MP front-facing camera
    4000 mAh battery
    7.9″ x 5″ x 0.43″

The $149 price tag seems pretty reasonable considering this tablet has the specs of a $199 *Google Nexus 7 with half the storage (Nexus has 16 GB), but with removable storage, HDMI output, and a few other bonus features...pretty sweet considering the price and since it's Walmart, you can return it if it's total crap.

(More pictures available at Liliputing.com at the above URL.)

Someone named Adam bought the Pro model already from Walmart and speaks about the tablet in the comments on this page:

Hisense Sero 7 tablets with dual, quad-core chips to sell for $99 and up - Liliputing

One in particular about build quality: "Works fine--feels just like about any other Android tablet (for better and worse). Build quality seems solid and the back has a nice rubbery, slightly bumpy, texture to it. Speakers are mediocre compared to an iPad mini. Screen looks good (I couldn't pick a winner between the iPad mini and the Hisense, with maybe a slight edge in text sharpness with the Hisense). The rear camera sucks compared to my iPhone 4S, but probably about par for the course for Android tablets.

Running version 4.2.1. No 4.2.2 update showing as of right now.''

Attachment 163807

Attachment 163810

PDF User Manual from FCC page (might have to rename to .PDF first, I had to) https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...id=W9HPADP0001

Hisense is a Chinese company trying to make more inroads in the USA. They'll be launching all kinds of things including tablets in the next few days... https://twitter.com/Hisense_USA/stat...33944215511040 and Hisense US | TVs ? Refrigerators ? Air Conditioners
    05-22-13 12:01 AM

...If it were me, I'd go for the iPad Mini or the Nexus 7. They're cheap, slick and have lots of apps. I'd probably go for the Mini first.
    He would bore himself to death with a mini. Defo a Nexus 7 imo, and if you are cool with larger tabs then go for Sonys new tablet - that thing reeks sex all over it.

Basically, OP, you're asking a bunch of PlayBook users, and dare I say fans, which tablet is better than their PlayBooks. While you can (and have) get (gotten) unbiased advice on this, might it be a better place were you to ask others, in other devices' forums, what would be their recommendation....
    Actually a lot of PB owners are no longer fans of it at it's current state. And as mentioned in the quote below, people with a Z10 probably hardly use their PB anymore, including me. Since I got the Z10 I stopped bringing it with me altogether, so it only gets used by my super hot red head girlfriend while she waits for me at home
    erichobo likes this.
    05-22-13 05:45 AM
    My Best suggestion is to buy Android version only
    06-12-13 01:47 AM
    I love my PB very much
    06-12-13 01:55 AM
54 123