09-17-13 08:24 PM
36 12
tools
    I can totally agree that the media apps are feature lacking, but so is your understanding of THIS problem your complaining about.

Your ID3 tags are probably in a mess, that's not a blackberry issue same happens on my (other fruit). Get something like the freely available. MP3tag software for pc and fix your mp3 tags.
    Side note: Some of my fellow posters (above this & a few others) offers responses that demonstrate that some do not read/comprehend very well, are too irrationally exuberant to be objective, naive, ignorant or just plain off in Wonderland. Thanks for the responses, however, discourse is always good.

To the contrary, all my tags are impeccable. I have been using Florian's MP3Tag for at least the last 8 years. I am excessively ad-naseum retentive, type A, or whatever is the currently used jargon. Folks should be able to replicate the bug:
    Get two songs and ID3v2.4 tag them with the same album and with different artists. Place in different folders labeled to "artist - album" each with associated covers. One should find that the songs are comingled when browsing by album with one of the album covers shown on the display wall.

Funny in that I have defended the music player, even though it lacks playlist management, sound processors, visualizations, etc., because its demure interface and features are like a Honda Accord, good enough for the masses with not much to offend the rest. And, the features it had was executed fairly well. It allowed developers to have basis to built a better player (and make some money) for the subset who wanted more. But now, I cannot trust that it will accurate display my music library.

As some have indicated, RIM is aware of the bug. I hope that they are correct. Thanks.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    03-26-12 08:34 PM
    RIM really needs to wake up, or go the way of Nokia - yesteryear's tool.

I have thousands of songs, and happen to have a few albums with exact title. Browsing the albums only shows one arbitrary image of one of the albums and the songs are comingled under "various artists" moniker. Unless you can keep track and know you have a particular album, you will never be aware of the problem. How utterly stupid!

RIM should have at least presented the list similar to browsing artists with multiple albums. Or better, separately as they should be.

Equally stupid is not grouping songs by their albums (or given the option to) when browsing the genres.

...another straw on the camel's back

And here for a second I was hoping you were a native app developer who was doing something about developing a better app or planning on going bust with the project.

Oh well, maybe the next guy will build one.
    03-26-12 11:50 PM
    I don't post much, because there's not much I can add, but I wanted to say I hope RIM is doing something about native media playback apps on the PlayBook.

I also wanted to take a moment to say that while jackpots did come out swinging, I'm a bit disappointed to see everyone form ranks and move against his comments on the native music player.

Maybe most PlayBook owners are satisfied with the "just enough" bare bones media players For me, however, it's clear to me that more could be done with an update (folders view, fixing the sync issues folks have mentioned, etc). The video player in particular disappoints me due to the absence of these features, which I find on a variety of platforms (for music, WebOS 1.4.5 for the Palm Pixi Plus; android 2.2.2 for the original motorola droid, etc). No folder view means I have to scroll through tons of individually organized and tagged videos. You could say "rename the episodes" but that might not fix the issue.

I do intend to explore additional video tags, though, to see what will happen. My preferred solution would be a folder for the show and folders inside with the episodes in sub folders. Note that I own the dvds and have ripped and converted the episodes myself for the shows I watch. Not that it makes me any better, but I'm not a pirate.

And speaking of that, not everyone pirates things, and as jackpots indicated, he does know about simple metadata organization. Not everyone's a 1-3 post whiner, ya know.
    03-27-12 12:18 AM
    This is a problem.
    But it seems to fit the 'goal' of the playbook.

Do top notch business men listen to music in meetings... NO!
    Problem solved.

There is SO MUCH potential with the playbook, but close to ZERO use of that. I am VERY tempted to learn coding and all that is needed to make the PB what it can be... I just dont have the time.
    03-27-12 12:21 AM
    From the official documentation for the BlackBerry PlayBook...

Add playlists from your computer to your tablet:
    Connect your tablet and computer using a USB cable. On your computer, open the BlackBerry Desktop Software. Click Music and complete the instructions on the screen to add playlists that you created using a music library, such as Windows Media Player or iTunes.

Oh, there is also a menu within the Music Player application which allows you to view your music collection by All Songs, Artists, Albums, and Genres. The percentage of whining postings on this forum makes me think there is a generation or possibly two generations of lazy, pablum-fed children waiting for mommy and daddy to spoon-feed them in every aspect of their life. Wake-up sunshine and learn to think...a skill sadly no longer encouraged in the education system.
    b147082 likes this.
    03-27-12 06:08 AM
    I find the music player does the job just fine (and the sound from the PB is terrific), but RIM need to go the extra mile on ALL their own apps to make them not just 'do the job' but do it AMAZINGLY!

They don't need a player as good as the one on the iPad they need one that is markedly better, and that is true of all the RIM apps.

The PB is an amazing piece of kit so we need some amazing apps that make us proud to be users and that give us bragging rights over all the sheep who flock to anything Apple do.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-27-12 07:29 AM
    Media Player seems to do what I need for it to (I barely use it, as I removed all my music and rock Subsonic via the browser).

Plus, I lost interest and stopped reading this thread on page 2 (#26), where it appears as though the OP may in fact be crying.
    03-27-12 07:51 AM
    I have thousands of songs, and happen to have a few albums with exact title. Browsing the albums only shows one arbitrary image of one of the albums and the songs are comingled under "various artists" moniker.
    Folks should be able to replicate the bug:
    Get two songs and ID3v2.4 tag them with the same album and with different artists. Place in different folders labeled to "artist - album" each with associated covers. One should find that the songs are comingled when browsing by album with one of the album covers shown on the display wall.
    I like to consider myself a highly intelligent person, but I find myself at a loss to figure out what in the name of holy heck you are talking about.

I don't have many compilation or various artist albums, but the PB music player does differ from the music player on the BB phones in its treatment of them.

Let's take my copies of the Woodstock soundtrack and the soundtrack from Woody Allen's Manhattan. For reasons I won't get into here, the "Album Artist" tag for each cut on the Manhattan album is "Various Artists." However, the "Album Artist" tag for each cut on the Woodstock soundtrack is the name of the actual artist.

If I browse albums on my BB, the Manhattan album shows up as a single album. The Woodstock album (a 2-disc album), however, shows up as 17 separate "albums" (each, obviously, corresponding to the artist individually named in the "Album Artist" tag).

This does not happen on the PB. While Manhattan shows up as it does on the BB, Woodstock shows up as two albums (corresponding to the two disc release) instead of seventeen albums. The artist is listed as "Various Artists" when one plays the album in the music player, even though the album artist tag in MP3tag specifies the names of the individual artists.

I imagine that is what you are complaining about, although it is certainly quite difficult to tell from what you have written. It doesn't bother me. It's not like the PB has wiped out the artist names -- if you search for those individual artists on the PB music player, the cuts from the compilation/various artists album will still come up.

So I don't see it as a bug, necessarily. The only real bug in the 2.0 music player is the one where the PB reads the songs in the playlist/.m3u files one has copied/synced over alphabetically and/or out of their original order. That bug will presumably be fixed since RIM is aware of it.
    03-27-12 11:21 AM
    Agreed the native media Apps clearly were a rush job, and now that they are out there it doesn't seem like there is any hurry to improve them.

RIM needs to start doling out some cash to great developers if they don't have the resources in house, hit the Winamp guys with a couple thou!!

Ported Winamp for Android works pretty well by the way, but native is always better.
    03-28-12 08:17 AM
    The music player is awful.
    I don't get why it can't be at LEAST as functional/visually appealing as as the player on my 2 year old 9800 (album cover flow, equalizer, etc).
    03-28-12 11:05 AM
    I understand fixing the tags will fix the problem, but as I recall from my previous BlackBerry, I was able to just drag and drop the folder from my computer to my device and there wasn't a problem. I will just continue fixing them and hope that RIM figures something out for a future update .
    09-17-13 08:24 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD