RIM really needs to wake up, or go the way of Nokia - yesteryear's tool.

I have thousands of songs, and happen to have a few albums with exact title. Browsing the albums only shows one arbitrary image of one of the albums and the songs are comingled under "various artists" moniker. Unless you can keep track and know you have a particular album, you will never be aware of the problem. How utterly stupid myopic!

RIM should have at least presented the list similar to browsing artists with multiple albums. Or better, separately, as they should be.

Equally stupid myopic is not grouping songs by their albums (or given the option to) when browsing the genres.

...another straw on the camel's back

[edited to walk-back the "stupid" comment]
    Last edited by jackpots; 03-27-12 at 07:47 AM.
    03-18-12 04:50 PM
    *yawn* another harbinger of doom! The sky is falling, we'd better get that ark built...etc etc.
    malcerie, joski, Yemson and 3 others like this.
    03-18-12 04:54 PM
    I like the music player as it is; syncs my iTunes library just fine.

Oh, and don't forget to rate this thread appropriately.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-18-12 05:02 PM
    I see your frustrated with the PlayBook's native music player. Maybe a nokia tablet might be what your looking for. I would like to make a suggestion.....buy what makes you happy, so you don't have to keep putting straws on the camels back
    03-18-12 05:02 PM

I have thousands of songs, and happen to have a few albums with exact title. Browsing the albums only shows one arbitrary image of one of the albums and the songs are comingled under "various artists" moniker. Unless you can keep track and know you have a particular album, you will never be aware of the problem. How utterly stupid!

RIM should have at least presented the list similar to browsing artists with multiple albums. Or better, separately as they should be.

Equally stupid is not grouping songs by their albums (or given the option to) when browsing the genres.

I can totally agree that the media apps are feature lacking, but so is your understanding of THIS problem your complaining about.

Your ID3 tags are probably in a mess, that's not a blackberry issue same happens on my (other fruit). Get something like the freely available. MP3tag software for pc and fix your mp3 tags.
    03-18-12 05:44 PM
    I wish this app could just allow me to view my music folders properly (sigh...).

Just that, just see my folders as I arranged them.
    Katsaway likes this.
    03-18-12 06:10 PM
    RIM knows about these issues and they are supposedly fixing them.
    Check out my 'Feature Requests' thread in BlackBerry Beta Zone.
    ambarmetta and jackpots like this.
    03-18-12 06:14 PM
    RIM knows about these issues and they are supposedly fixing them.
    I suspect that some people at RIM know about these issues, because they cannot be entirely stupid, but I have no evidence that they are working on them.

I already find it hard to believe that they overlooked them for a year while testing before the release, or that the directors accepted giving consumers an app that prevented to see the folders they have purposely created.

Those features should have been ready even before first release...
    03-18-12 06:24 PM
    Also think the music player is naff. Support for a single playlist? Fed up of creating playlists and dragging them in and not being able to edit them on the device.

No filters/equalisers for the sound output.

Dull and less than useful interface.

You've mentioned the tags.

It's a shame as the built in speakers rock, and output sound isn't too shabby either.
    03-18-12 06:34 PM
    One thing that I would love to see from the music player is some sort of visualizer. I know it might seem trivial to most but I just find it relaxing to look at visualizations (especially on the big screen) while listening to music. For me that's the biggest disappointment from the media player. Otherwise it does what it's supposed to do, play music.
    03-18-12 08:42 PM
    Also think the music player is naff. Support for a single playlist? Fed up of creating playlists and dragging them in and not being able to edit them on the device.

No filters/equalisers for the sound output.

Dull and less than useful interface.

You've mentioned the tags.

It's a shame as the built in speakers rock, and output sound isn't too shabby either.
    I am not trying to nitpick, but I have to agree the UI for the media apps in general is pretty bad. The Podcast app is pretty ugly as well. They just seem like they were rushed and need to be refined. It likely wasn't a big focus for them, but a lot of people use tablets for playing media. I hope it's something they address fairly soon.
    03-18-12 09:04 PM
    I just wish it would remember my repeat & shuffle settings. -_-
    noelito4three likes this.
    03-19-12 09:06 AM
    Works well for me...simple and to the point. Why would I want to complain about features I would not even use. It sound great it works wonderfully... I don't need anything else....but for those that really hate the UI in PB Media player, ...I hear the iPad1.5 was released...
    03-19-12 09:24 AM
    I'd agree that the OP's problem is not the PB, but the haphazard way he has organized his music on his PC. If you want your music to show up seamlessly on various devices, your BB, your PB, iPod, DLNA reader, etc., you need to organize it first on your PC with MP3tag with Album, Artist, Album Artist, Track Number, etc. ID tags. Complaining that the PB is responsible for the shabby state of your music collection isn't going to get you anywhere.

The Music Player, though, could be improved, and first among those is getting rid of the Playlists bug that was introduced with 2.0. (namely, the bug that causes the PB to rearrange the order of songs in iTunes, WMP, or .m3U playlists brought over to the PB). RIM wasn't even aware of this until last week when we told them during the PB "Insider" event over at the BB support forums.

Also, when you search for an album, it would be nice if the search result came back with the actual album instead of just a list of songs (in alphabetical order, no less) from the album.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    03-19-12 09:41 AM
    One thing that I would love to see from the music player is some sort of visualizer. I know it might seem trivial to most but I just find it relaxing to look at visualizations (especially on the big screen) while listening to music. For me that's the biggest disappointment from the media player. Otherwise it does what it's supposed to do, play music.

There's a really great visualizer in the app store, called spectrum analyzer. uses 10 different settings. also i have found that if you swipe up the osk then you can search for songs based on their first letter. its a quick shortcut to what you have on there. i personally have 5 gigs of music on mine and never seem to have much trouble with id3 tags and the like. just give different albums different covers.
    Last edited by thatplaybookguy; 03-19-12 at 09:58 AM.
    peter_betos likes this.
    03-19-12 09:47 AM
    I haven't updated yet but does the new update remember the last song that was played or the last position the song was in?
    03-19-12 09:50 AM
    I wish this app could just allow me to view my music folders properly (sigh...).

Just that, just see my folders as I arranged them.
    Music players don't use folders, as in the folder structure you're used to working with on your computer.

Music players use tags. If your tags are screwed up, then you're going to have organization problems with your musc/albums/artists. When using tags, folder structure is ignored.

So fix your tags and this problem goes away.

cheers
    03-19-12 09:54 AM
    I guess we have to read and watch music now. I get the tag deal and that being the problem. I also don't have to read what is playing as I know what is playing.
    03-19-12 09:59 AM
    I have been begging for this for a while. The media players Music and Videos both really need the TAT treatment on the PB. IMHO these two apps if totally TAT-ified would go a LONG way to selling many many PBs. These would be perfect one offs for TAT to do. Better yet have a couple of TAT groups do completely different takes on each of the apps.
    03-19-12 10:01 AM
    Music players don't use folders, as in the folder structure you're used to working with on your computer.

Music players use tags. If your tags are screwed up, then you're going to have organization problems with your musc/albums/artists. When using tags, folder structure is ignored.

So fix your tags and this problem goes away.

cheers
    Unfortunately, rim carried that concept over to all over genres of files such as videos, docs, pdfs. They must have thought all of those other file types also had some tags so that folder organization was not necessary.
    03-19-12 04:14 PM
    Unfortunately, rim carried that concept over to all over genres of files such as videos, docs, pdfs. They must have thought all of those other file types also had some tags so that folder organization was not necessary.
    I agree with you somewhat there. I will say that my storm had better file management than my playbook. Even the way my 9850 allows me to browese my pictures is a pain compared to how my storm handled it.

I hope it gets better.
    03-19-12 04:18 PM

I have thousands of songs, and happen to have a few albums with exact title. Browsing the albums only shows one arbitrary image of one of the albums and the songs are comingled under "various artists" moniker. Unless you can keep track and know you have a particular album, you will never be aware of the problem. How utterly stupid!

RIM should have at least presented the list similar to browsing artists with multiple albums. Or better, separately as they should be.

Equally stupid is not grouping songs by their albums (or given the option to) when browsing the genres.

The native music app on the pb is perfect to say the least.. It's your music collection that's not correctly updated.. I have over 1800 tracks on my pb and not a single one is out of place because it's organized correctly with tags prior to loading onto the pb..

Ofcourse your complaint would have never come up if your music collection consisted of original music rather than pirated stuff with incorrect file data or missing tags.
    Last edited by varunsain; 03-19-12 at 04:34 PM.
    03-19-12 04:32 PM
    I like the music player as it is; syncs my iTunes library just fine.

Oh, and don't forget to rate this thread appropriately.
    OS 2.0 does not sync iTunes playlists properly anymore. Playlist songs are now ordered alphabetically by album title rather than in the actual order. This problem didn't exist before the update.

This is not a Desktop Manager problem as music still syncs perfectly to handsets.

I don't know if we need a completely new media player but they could sure shake the bugs out of this one.
    JasW and FF22 like this.
    03-19-12 04:39 PM
    Browse by folder.
    It's what we need.

Actually, folders for everything is what we need.
    ambarmetta and FF22 like this.
    03-19-12 04:46 PM
    The only problem I see is not able to create 2 or more playlist (ie. Classic, dance, etc.). RIM has the perfect one on my Curve. Shame can't put this program on Playbook.

MEOW!
    03-20-12 01:41 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD