The playbook can be had cheaply right now.

However, so can the nook from barnes & noble.

I'm leaning toward getting a nook, especially since it now has access to the google play app store.

Any thoughts on this?
    09-14-13 06:45 AM
    Just buy a Nook and be happy, at least you'll still get updates for that.
    FF22, rnhld and cmdr_dan like this.
    09-14-13 06:54 AM
    If you are considering a nook, I assume you are interested in doing a lot of reading, maybe purchasing a few books? In that case I would say the nook.

Posted via CB Forums iOS app
    09-14-13 06:54 AM
    Nook; it can easily be rooted and get Android custom ROMs [officially supported by CyanogenMod, for example], so you get continued support and updates to the software [even if B&N stop supporting it], plus even without that you have access to the Google Play Store with a massively larger catalogue of apps than the measly offerings available in the PB App World.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-14-13 08:27 AM
    If you are a blackberry's fan-boy,playbook will do the job )
    09-14-13 10:39 AM
    Hard to answer. What would make one or the other "better" for you?

I enjoy the PB myself -- great UE (addicted to gesture-only UI!), and it's great as a game/media consumption tablet. However, if continued support and apps are important to you, a Nook or other mid-range Android tablet should do the trick (I'll likely go this latter route when my PB officially dies).
    09-14-13 10:50 AM
    Nook doesn't have a camera, GPS, and needs a $40 adapter for HDMI out, If those things aren't important to you, get the Nook. If they matter to you, well.....
    FF22 likes this.
    09-14-13 11:34 AM
    ^^basically this. If you know the hardware differences and that is OK with you then go with the nook. Love my Nook HD+
    09-14-13 11:36 AM
    It depends on what other devices you own as well. I'm not familiar with Nook beyond it being a E-reader. Just compare the specs. I suspect PlayBook is the better choice of the two in terms of build and functionality and price.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 04:41 PM
    It depends on what other devices you own as well. I'm not familiar with Nook beyond it being a E-reader. Just compare the specs. I suspect PlayBook is the better choice of the two in terms of build and functionality and price.

Posted via CB10
    Build; perhaps, never handled a Nook. I imagine the build quality is adequate, from a respectable company like B&N though.

Functionality; nope. PB has camera, GPS & HDMI out. Nook has (almost) infinitely more apps (i.e. virtually every popular app). So PB does have better functionality in a few regards, but Nook has better functionality in pretty much all the rest. If you need those few specific use cases (which I personally doubt are top priorities for most tablet users, although obviously I'm not saying they aren't important to some people), the PB wins. Otherwise, Nook all the way in this category.

Price; 8GB Nook = 79, 16GB Nook = 99. Both expandable with micro SD cards, pretty cheap.
    32GB PB = 87.50 (Cheapest PB I could find, cheaper than any price I could find for 16GB oddly). So not a massive difference in price.

Personally I'd rather pay a little bit more and get a tablet with an OS that isn't dead and an app store that still sees new apps being released daily.
    09-14-13 05:22 PM
    RE: Which is better buy right now -- Playbook or Nook?

I've seen a tablet called "PlayNook" from one Chinese site... couldn't find it now... but that would be a better choice to lessen the confusion...
    09-15-13 09:56 AM
    I think you will be unhappy with the nook and the best thing it has is Google apps so if apps is what you want that is the item to have. My pb is faster,better sound do to fro the speakers and the picture clarity is far superior to the nook.
    09-15-13 10:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    The Nook HD and HD+ has the Google Play store so that would instantly put it far ahead the Playbook in terms of apps. Personally I would spend the extra money for a Nexus 7 (2013) due to future software upgrades but $129 for a 7" 720p tablet and $149 for a 9" 1080p that runs decently fast is a great deal.
    09-15-13 10:33 AM