In terms of speed PlayBook doesn't perform very well compare to Ipad 2 and Kindle Fire.

I loaded crackberry.com making sure PlayBook had flash disabled in order to have a fair comparison with Ipad and Kindle (I also disabled flash in kindle). I loaded the site 3 times with each tablet under the same connection (8 Mb connection). The first time was after clearing cache, next tries without clearing it.

Playbook (16 gb and OS. 2.0.1.668):
    1st time: 35 seconds (delay loading the ads to the right of the page)
    2nd time: 24 seconds
    3rd time: 21 seconds

Kindle Fire (system version 6.3.1)
    1st time: 23 seconds
    2nd time: 26 seconds
    3rd time: 25 seconds

Ipad 2 (Safari) (64 gb iOS 5)
    1st time: 16 seconds
    2nd time: 13 seconds
    3rd time: 11 seconds

Then I tested a local news media web site and had similar results. While PlayBook loaded the site in 13 seconds, Ipad did the same in 7 seconds.

So, for me? yes I would love a better browser. At least a fast one.
    when you compare with Apple,did you disable flash on playbook browser?
    sagec and luqman24 like this.
    08-05-12 10:31 PM
    Fyi,

RIM already created a better browser (in BB10 using NDK). Right now the version you are using is the old AS3 one.

I put a trial up for secure browser -- it will alleviate some issues outlined above (i.e. Does jump to top, jump to bottom, good tab memory, find on page etc).

It also has a mario and minecraft theme . But outside of tjat ull be stuck waiting for b10.

Ed.
    And you know this how?
    08-05-12 10:56 PM
    So whilst the default browser is not the worst I've used its certainly not anywhere near the best, so come on folks, what's the best?

All I ask for is:

No more checkerboard
    Flash support
    A simple "go to top of screen" method

Well? What gives?
    I suggest you go into the App Store, enter "browser" in the search box, and install and try all the free browsers side-by-side.
    08-05-12 11:25 PM
    Simple browser no longer works and it seems the devs have abandoned it. Could this be because of the new native browser coming?

I load simple browser plus and get a black screen.
    08-05-12 11:36 PM
    Look_alive's list of missing PB browses features is spot on. If I have to live with the minimum, I must say the following a must.

- PB's Android App Player gesture to Go back one page. I find that more intuitive than the native Back Arrow button that when I use either my PB, Android, or iPad tablets that I try to do the app Player swipe by mistake first with all my other devices. Yes I have them all.

- Find Text within a Page

- Select and copy text or range of text within a pages.
    look_alive likes this.
    08-06-12 12:12 AM
    Simple browser no longer works and it seems the devs have abandoned it. Could this be because of the new native browser coming?

I load simple browser plus and get a black screen.
    See if you have the latest version. There was an update that was suppose to address the black screen. Try getting your stuff backed up or you will lose settings and bookmarks. There is a thread on Black screen in the app subforum that I started.
    08-06-12 12:13 AM
    Well, when I load Crackberry's main page with flash and java enabled, it takes about 13 seconds, and the PB forum main page takes about 9 seconds to fully load. With flash and java turned off, Crackberry's main page fully loads in under 3 seconds while the PB forum main page loads in under 2 seconds. I'm running two versions of Browser, one set up with flash and java enabled and one without. The one without I use for general browsing, and I use the other browser when I know I'll need flash or java. My general browsing browser loads pages extremely fast, with no checkerboarding whatsoever.
    08-06-12 12:54 AM
    Well, when I load Crackberry's main page with flash and java enabled, it takes about 13 seconds, and the PB forum main page takes about 9 seconds to fully load. With flash and java turned off, Crackberry's main page fully loads in under 3 seconds while the PB forum main page loads in under 2 seconds. I'm running two versions of Browser, one set up with flash and java enabled and one without. The one without I use for general browsing, and I use the other browser when I know I'll need flash or java. My general browsing browser loads pages extremely fast, with no checkerboarding whatsoever.
    I think it's mainly the JavaScript that slows things down. I run Flash enabled & JavaScrips disabled & find it's almost as fast as having them both disabled. There is ofcourse a bigger difference on flash intensive sites...but then again, on those sites I probably want flash enabled anyway
    08-06-12 03:41 AM
    What's the downsize of having Java and/or Flash disabled?

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-06-12 03:47 AM
    What's the downsize of having Java and/or Flash disabled?

Some sites will not show their content if they require either of those features turned on. You might not be able to see an embedded video on the Crackberry main page if one is in a podcast or interview. I generally visit cb with javascript OFF since it tends to load faster. I really don't know what cb's javascript is doing????? Maybe getting to dropdown menus - but for reading forums, I don't think it is a problem.
    08-06-12 08:52 AM
    Tks

But, when you open the site with the Java disabled, you usually see a text that say "that you need to enable Java",right?

If so, i'm gonna go Javaless from now on ^^

08-06-12 08:57 AM
    Thanks for the tips guys. Trying simple browser out. I personally don't find it to be that much faster than the stock browser, but the ad blocking is fantastic. That alone improves the browsing experience on the 7" screen a ton. It's UI uses the screen space a lot better as well. Still only in my first day of testing but those are two things that jump out.
    08-06-12 09:29 AM
    Tks

But, when you open the site with the Java disabled, you usually see a text that say "that you need to enable Java",right?

If so, i'm gonna go Javaless from now on ^^

Correct. There's a Mountain Pass report our Dept of Transportation runs with a "click-on" map. If I go there with javascript OFF, I get that message but parts of the site load fine, including a link that allows a site without javascript. So it is entirely how the site was constructed.
    08-06-12 09:34 AM
    Thanks for the tips guys. Trying simple browser out. I personally don't find it to be that much faster than the stock browser, but the ad blocking is fantastic. That alone improves the browsing experience on the 7" screen a ton. It's UI uses the screen space a lot better as well. Still only in my first day of testing but those are two things that jump out.
    You can change what is called the "user agent" and "lie" to sites that might not otherwise load on the pb - you can say I'm "IE" or "firefox" and they may load.
    08-06-12 09:36 AM
    Correct. There's a Mountain Pass report our Dept of Transportation runs with a "click-on" map. If I go there with javascript OFF, I get that message but parts of the site load fine, including a link that allows a site without javascript. So it is entirely how the site was constructed.

Nice

I'm gonna try it tonight. I'll report!

08-06-12 09:44 AM
    when you compare with Apple,did you disable flash on playbook browser?
    Yes I did disable flash in the PlayBook. I mentioned it in my post.
    08-06-12 10:26 AM
    With Flash and also JavaScript disabled , PlayBook's browser loads crackberry in about 3 seconds. That is fast and good enough for me.

However in my in-house tests with Playbook and Ipad 2 both with javascript enabled (no flash for both), Ipad 2 wins. . Usually Ipad 2 loads pages faster than PlayBook.
    08-06-12 10:40 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD