So whilst the default browser is not the worst I've used its certainly not anywhere near the best, so come on folks, what's the best?

All I ask for is:

No more checkerboard
    Flash support
    A simple "go to top of screen" method

Well? What gives?
    07-24-12 02:51 AM
    Well you only have 3 choices. Bolt, Uzard and Opera. I don't know if they still support Blackberry or not as I don't use them anymore. I prefer the default webkit browser. Also you can press "T" to go to top of page in default browser

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-24-12 03:10 AM
    We're talking playbook right?
    BLu likes this.
    07-24-12 03:18 AM
    We're talking playbook right?
    I use latest version of Dolphin browser 8.0

I like it a lot but no flash though.kind of ipad exerience on playbook

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    07-24-12 04:37 AM
    SimpleBrowser+ and Secure Browser, both NATIVE apps are better in a number of respects but I don't think that they speed up loading or avoid checker boarding. I don't believe the T and B shortcuts (bb phones) works in either of them.
    KermEd likes this.
    07-24-12 08:32 AM
    After using the Chrome browser on my N7 for a few days now, I appreciate the PB's browser a little more. Chrome has some nice features and is faster, but the way it renders the web pages it's just not same as PB's. With the PB you really take flash for granted. Simple browser+ is pretty good I thought, and does support flash doesn't it?
    Last edited by Blkacesvf41; 07-24-12 at 09:52 AM.
    07-24-12 09:44 AM
    So whilst the default browser is not the worst I've used its certainly not anywhere near the best, so come on folks, what's the best?

All I ask for is:

No more checkerboard
    Flash support

Well? What gives?
    All the native browsers use the same back end as the stock browser. Comparing it to my desktop browsers (FireFox and Safari), the desktop browsers don't get the checker boarding, because they limit the scrolling speed while the page is being loaded. The PlayBook browser checker board because it is scrolling quicker than the page can load.

In regards to the simple top of screen method and other capabilities unique to IOS, they may be unique to IOS because of a Patent.
    07-24-12 10:11 AM

In regards to the simple top of screen method and other capabilities unique to IOS, they may be unique to IOS because of a Patent.
    Dolphin Browser has a gesture to take you to the top of the page.
    07-24-12 10:24 AM
    SimpleBrowser+ and Secure Browser, both NATIVE apps are better in a number of respects but I don't think that they speed up loading or avoid checker boarding. I don't believe the T and B shortcuts (bb phones) works in either of them.
    +1 for SimpleBrowser+ because it can block ads
    ute likes this.
    07-24-12 03:33 PM
    The native browser beats up Dolphin Browser by miles...

At least the version that i have...
    07-24-12 05:10 PM
    I was stuck on the default browser, but recently started splitting time with Maxthon; no checkerboarding, & seems to be pretty quick.
    07-24-12 07:58 PM
    For what its worth,

Secure Browser has find on page, touch zone (top left/bottom left) for jump to top and jump to bottom. Flash support. But i still use the checkerboard in Secure Browser though so no luck there.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-24-12 10:08 PM
    PB's default browser is one of the best. especially compare with Apple's.
    07-24-12 10:17 PM
    For what its worth,

Secure Browser has find on page, touch zone (top left/bottom left) for jump to top and jump to bottom. Flash support. But i still use the checkerboard in Secure Browser though so no luck there.
    Sorry, I had forgotten about those gestures. You can be "Secure" in your knowledge that I won't forget soon (but might forget eventually!)
    07-24-12 11:48 PM
    PB's default browser is one of the best. especially compare with Apple's.
    Oh no you didnt!!
    steppinghorse likes this.
    07-25-12 12:47 AM

All I ask for is:

No more checkerboard
    Flash support

Well? What gives?
    Sounds like your talking about the phone and not the Playbook? Because last I checked the Playbook's browser is one of the best on the market if not, the best. What more can you ask for when you get a desktop like experience on a tablet besides the "go to top of screen" features?
    07-25-12 01:56 AM
    Sounds like your talking about the phone and not the Playbook? Because last I checked the Playbook's browser is one of the best on the market if not, the best. What more can you ask for when you get a desktop like experience on a tablet besides the "go to top of screen" features?
    if the browser is the best then RIM would have named it BLACKBERRY BROWSER instead of BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK.
    why would anyone want a DESKTOP experience on a 7" screen? the mobile/light version screen view is made for smaller screen!
    desktop view is to be viewed on a desktop which is 14" and up.
    07-25-12 02:13 AM
    if the browser is the best then RIM would have named it BLACKBERRY BROWSER instead of BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK.
    why would anyone want a DESKTOP experience on a 7" screen? the mobile/light version screen view is made for smaller screen!
    desktop view is to be viewed on a desktop which is 14" and up.
    Umm...Blackberry Playbook is the name of the device not the browser. And the browser itself is called "browser" On the home screen icon. And plus Id rather be able to watch my favorite shows and movies straight on the browser for free using flash than getting that stupid "Your browser does not support Flash" message you would get on an iPad. Yes I do own a desktop PC but too bad I can't bring it with me anywhere which is why I bought the Playbook instead of a laptop. Slip it into my pocket and take it anywhere I want with no bags or anything to carry around.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-25-12 02:42 AM
    I'm fond of the playbook, don't get me wrong, but the browser is not "all that".

Text entry can be a bind if you wish to go back and edit it (its way easier on an iphone as I'm sure you'll agree.)

And the checkerboard is rubbish, it's not a feature as a result of other greatness its a failing.

The playbook is a great piece of kit, it's just a shame it's OS seems so, unfinished.
    Hopefully that's an issue they are due to resolve with 2.1, I mean, the default file browser is useless. It's no surprise they had trouble shifting units when the basics were unstable.
    look_alive likes this.
    07-25-12 09:55 AM
    In NO WAY is the Playbook browser "one of the best on the market, if not the best." If you really think that, then you've clearly never tried another modern tablet browser. I'm sorry to say that so bluntly, but come on. Is it decent? Yes. Is it OMG THE BEST? Absolutely not.

What else can I ask for? Hmmm, how about all the things that are included in every other tablet's flaghip browsers, such as:

• A "Find on page" function. (A VERY basic request.)
    • A way to organize bookmarks.
    • A way to edit bookmarks.
    • On-page spell check for text boxes.
    • Compatibility with nearly EVERY website for which the Playbook conveniently doesn't have an app (Netflix, Hulu and Hulu Plus, Skype, Google Maps, HBO-GO, Amazon Prime Video, Blockbuster Video, GoToMeeting, WebEx, etc, etc.)
    • Browser gestures for navigation (in what is arguably one of the best gesture-based OS's on the market. Come on, RIM!)
    • Limit the crazy bad checker-boarding (and yes, you CAN have a browser on Playbook without the incessant checker-boarding, just go download Maxthon.)
    • Stop the constant crashing. (And no, it's not "just me", search the forums here for "browser crash" and see how many folks its affecting. And no, a hard reset does not improve it.)
    • Tab management.
    • Desktop browser bookmark and tab synching.
    • The ability to change the user-agent string (to hopefully overcome the lack of compatibility of that huge list up there in #5.)
    • The ability to select and copy text without going completely and totally INSANE with the jumpy cursor.
    • Ability to change font sizes for content.
    • Better text-wrapping so there's less side-to-side scrolling. (helloooo gestures!)
    • Proper touch-based handling of drop-down menus and hover states.
    Last edited by look_alive; 07-25-12 at 02:14 PM.
    FF22 and AliasCBG like this.
    07-25-12 02:09 PM
    I have no desire to enter into the 'best/worst' browser argument, but just wanted to add that with Javascript disabled in browser settings I very rarely see any checkerboarding whatsoever, and page load-times are significantly reduced.
    pacoman03 likes this.
    07-26-12 09:55 AM
    I have no desire to enter into the 'best/worst' browser argument, but just wanted to add that with Javascript disabled in browser settings I very rarely see any checkerboarding whatsoever, and page load-times are significantly reduced.
    Ditto............
    BLu likes this.
    07-26-12 10:20 AM
    For a mobile browser, its pretty impressive. Compared to a desktop browser, yes its not the same (its also not supposed to be).

But again, and I can't stress this enough, those features are available in mixed varieties with many of the 30 or so other browsers available in the market. Most free (not mine though - Sorry! I'm looking at the options just havent had time).

Compatibility with Hulu and Netflix however, has nothing to do with the browser, and everything to do with the User Agent in Flash / Lack of Silverlight (nothing to do really with the browser).

In order to do everything you can do on a desktop, you neeed to use Splashtop (or alternative) and run a desktop browser.

Ed.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-26-12 05:06 PM
    In terms of speed PlayBook doesn't perform very well compare to Ipad 2 and Kindle Fire.

I loaded crackberry.com making sure PlayBook had flash disabled in order to have a fair comparison with Ipad and Kindle (I also disabled flash in kindle). I loaded the site 3 times with each tablet under the same connection (8 Mb connection). The first time was after clearing cache, next tries without clearing it.

Playbook (16 gb and OS. 2.0.1.668):
    1st time: 35 seconds (delay loading the ads to the right of the page)
    2nd time: 24 seconds
    3rd time: 21 seconds

Kindle Fire (system version 6.3.1)
    1st time: 23 seconds
    2nd time: 26 seconds
    3rd time: 25 seconds

Ipad 2 (Safari) (64 gb iOS 5)
    1st time: 16 seconds
    2nd time: 13 seconds
    3rd time: 11 seconds

Then I tested a local news media web site and had similar results. While PlayBook loaded the site in 13 seconds, Ipad did the same in 7 seconds.

So, for me? yes I would love a better browser. At least a fast one.
    08-05-12 09:23 PM
    Fyi,

RIM already created a better browser (in BB10 using NDK). Right now the version you are using is the old AS3 one.

I put a trial up for secure browser -- it will alleviate some issues outlined above (i.e. Does jump to top, jump to bottom, good tab memory, find on page etc).

It also has a mario and minecraft theme . But outside of tjat ull be stuck waiting for b10.

Ed.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-05-12 09:28 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD