When I asked about the Playbook at my local BestBuy(Colonial Heights, VA) over the weekend, they told that they have been recalled.

Is this correct? Are the Playbooks still being sold?
    05-23-11 07:00 PM
    PlayBooks are still being sold, and are even still being sold at Best Buy. Feel free to check out the Best Buy website. The recall that the Best Buy drone was referring to was a very limited recall on units loaded with a corrupt OS, and as I remember, these units were exclusive to Staples.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    05-23-11 07:02 PM
    They only had issues with 900 of them. They are being sold with gusto!
    slbailey1 likes this.
    05-23-11 07:03 PM
    When I asked about the Playbook at my local BestBuy(Colonial Heights, VA) over the weekend, they told that they have been recalled.

Did they say what the recall was for or were they just saying they don't know. Sounds like a clueless sales person to me.
    05-23-11 07:13 PM
    I was in the Best Buy in Dayton this evening looking for a case. They have a PB on display and they told me they have them in stock.

Sounds like the guy you spoke with took a factoid and has twisted it into an expanding rumor.
    05-23-11 07:16 PM
    Walk out of the store!!!!
    05-23-11 07:22 PM
    Sounds like another uninformed sales rep to me. Guessing at their knowlege.
    05-23-11 07:26 PM
    Did they say what the recall was for or were they just saying they don't know. Sounds like a clueless sales person to me.
    I was asking a sales rep about the HTC Flyer. He had to call someone to see if they have it. He came back and told me no. As I was asking him about the Playbook, a second sales rep walked up and told me the the Playbook has been recalled and walked away.
    05-23-11 07:34 PM
    i was told the same yesterday when i was at my local Best Buy. I called the next closest store and within 2hrs had my PlayBook in hand.
    05-23-11 07:41 PM
    Go to another store, the Playbook has NOT been recalled, as others said, it was a very small amount that were sent to another retailer. Also the HTC Flyers IS available that store was either out or just didn't get any.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    05-23-11 07:41 PM
    It is hard to believe .. bbuy n staples have the least trained 'technical support' folk.
    Makes one wonder, can even rely upon them for the most simple computer repairs and upgrades?
    05-23-11 07:50 PM
    This kind of stuff needs to be reported up the chain. I'd ask for a store manager and let him know that you were taking your business elsewhere since they had such clueless sales reps.
    05-23-11 07:58 PM
    Is it a possibility that the staples recall had been leaked and got out publicly but a best buy recall as yet has not?

Why would staples have all the recall units? The software loading issue was posted on by many people here that did not buy from staples.
    05-23-11 07:58 PM
    I went to BestBuy in Mapplewood and Roseville MN and I have to say those guys have their act together. Really nice and knowledgeable people out there..... Even though this will be my third PB return.

I'm going to check out the flyer
    05-23-11 08:01 PM
    Makes one wonder, can even rely upon them for the most simple computer repairs and upgrades?
    NO you can't!

My company makes good money fixing the crap the idiots at the big box stores break. Common example is a slow PC, guy had a PC he felt was slow and brought it to BB for the "cleanup service", $150 later and he was told there was nothing else they could do. So he dropped it by our office for a second opinion... well 5 minutes later we had used a can of compressed air to blow the dust and pet hair blocking the CPU cooler out and it was back to normal. you read that right they never even opened his PC and looked at it! I think I charged him $25, and I would have done the whole cleanup service he had for half the BB price.

I'm not saying all local computer repair shops are great, but I wouldn't let those big box stores touch a PC of mine if they paid me! They have no real training and follow an India call-center style book to fix issues if they have anything at all.

If you get a good tech person at those stores chances are they are simply working their way through college, use it as a second job, or got laid off elsewhere and are job hunting.
    05-23-11 10:12 PM
    This is the 2nd stupid Best Buy salesperson story related to the PB to be posted today! They are single handedly causing harm to sales of this product.
    05-23-11 10:22 PM
    On a side note, the bestbuy that I got my PB from:

I had a problem with my antenna, BT stopped working so I went in for a replace. The computer person saw me with it and immediately said - Ah, you didn't think it was all it was cracked up to be huh? to which I replied, Actually, am loving it, but my antenna broke, could I get it replaced? Thanks.

That's the second time I've heard a similar comment at the local BB's here in the Toronto area, which leads to me to question the credibility of these major stores. A biased generic sale force removes competition.
    05-24-11 12:18 AM
    Every one of these Best Buy guys needs to be reported
    Last edited by pkcable; 05-24-11 at 07:52 AM. Reason: language
    05-24-11 12:26 AM
    That's too bad your sales rep was an *****. Maybe RIM will build blackberry stores for people to shop at and have questions answered by professional staff. It would be nice for accessories, hardware and even news of future products.
    05-24-11 02:31 AM
    Yea I had the same recall problem but i came back a week later and got a nice fresh PB.........
    05-24-11 05:48 AM
    Best Buy.... It figures, they should call themselves Best Promise at best!
    05-24-11 05:54 AM
    Best Buy.... It figures, they should call themselves Best Promise at best!
    How about Best Shot - They take it but don't always make it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    teamfoster03 likes this.
    05-24-11 06:05 AM
    I wonder how many sales Best Buy lost by not educating their sales folks with correct information.
    05-24-11 08:27 AM

You should definitely report that associate and the store
    E-mail Us.

Just imagine how many consumers the associate or the entire store could potentially have turned back.

Still don't know which irks me more. If it is when the supposed experts do not know what they are speaking of or when they clearly do not know what they are saying yet couldn't be bothered about getting their facts straight?
    05-24-11 09:25 AM
    Best Buy is awful. I stopped in there yesterday to look at the Playbook. The store had a busted wifi set up so I couldn't check out the browser. Best Buy is not helping RIM's cause at all.
    05-24-11 10:37 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD