I did this with several dvds a few weeks ago.... I followed advice from the forum and went with the ipad preset. It works sure... But it certainly does not make use of the playbooks widescreen dimensions. All my videos had a black bar on the sides to accommodate the ipads square screen. Does anyone know what the proper settings would be to make better use of the playbooks beautiful sized screen?
    This is a very good point and not sure why it was skipped lol.

The iPad has an 4:3 aspect ratio, which is IMO redicilous due to EVERY screen being 16:10 or 16:9 nowadays.

Anyway, that's why im carrying around a PB instead :P but my point is, the Ipad preset probably will scale them down to 4:3 aspect ratio, keep that in mind while ripping it.
    01-25-12 09:33 AM
    Old but very effective DVDDecryptor to remove macrovision(protection), and put on my PC's harddrive. Then found freemake(thanks to someone else) to convert to mp4 and AAC audio. Works well and with a PB preset there is no guessing like in handbrake or other converters.
    01-25-12 09:41 AM
    i believe leawo dvdripper is a excellent sw for rip dvd to any format you want. you could have a try .
    02-27-12 01:29 AM
    I have just found Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate. I has a preset for the playbook that works PERFECTLY. a bit pricey @ 59.00, but you insert dvd, select Platbook Profile, and walk away and mow the lawn.

When you get back, you have a ripped copy to place onto your backup hard drive and Playbook. Video is great, even when you project onto Big screen via HDMI. you can see a bit of the compression on the big screen if you look real closely, but not on the PB as it has been "resized/re-sampled for the PB screen. Watching on the big screen is not bad either.

It also, I believe a DVD "decrypter" built in. But I also ran DVD43 in the background to eliminate the "macro encoding". Will try tonight without DVD43 to see how that works.

The trial version leaves a watermark right smack dab in the middle of the screen, but you get to see the quality of the video anbd once you do, you will be happy with the ease and quality.

C
    02-27-12 09:27 AM
    I use Xilisoft DVD Ripper Platinum. It's not free, but it has definitely been worth the money for me as I've ripped a lot of my DVD collection over the years.

I have used Handbrake too, and for free that is an excellent option, but if ease of use is important then I think Xilisoft edges it.

Over the years I have ripped in a multitude of formats and am pleased to say that pretty much every file seems to play fine on the Playbook.
    02-27-12 09:39 AM
    So many choices, so many opinions.
    02-27-12 10:34 AM
    Give Aimersoft a try. You can do mulriple eval conversions (albeit with a watermark), but you can check for compatability.

Just check the Blackberry Playbook profile and one click and you're running. They have maybe 50 different profiles already setup, BB phones and Playbook are integrated into this platform.

You can also tweak the profile if you want to to get the file size down if need be.

Blu-ray Ripper - Best Tool to Rip Blu-ray Disc | Aimersoft

C
    02-27-12 01:15 PM
    So the question is after reading this thread which app works best for making the video fit in the PlayBook's screen without making it smaller?

Thanks
    03-09-12 02:16 PM
    So the question is after reading this thread which app works best for making the video fit in the PlayBook's screen without making it smaller?

Thanks
    See the posts (2) above by me. The Aimersoft suite DOES format and fit the video to fit the Playbook PERFECTLY. There is a SPECIFIC profile for the Platbook. You select it, it converts (or rips if so inclined) to a directory on PC, then drag and drop onto Playbook.

Try the Eval. the only this is there is a watermark on the video.

also, there is DVD43 for those "troubled" disks........

C
    03-09-12 02:23 PM
    Give Aimersoft a try. You can do mulriple eval conversions (albeit with a watermark), but you can check for compatability.

Just check the Blackberry Playbook profile and one click and you're running. They have maybe 50 different profiles already setup, BB phones and Playbook are integrated into this platform.

You can also tweak the profile if you want to to get the file size down if need be.

Blu-ray Ripper - Best Tool to Rip Blu-ray Disc | Aimersoft

C

Video Converter Ultimate - All-in-one DVD Video Converter | Aimersoft
    Correction for link above. This is for Std. DVD Disks The link above is there Blu-Ray Ripper.
    03-09-12 02:26 PM
    Video Converter Ultimate - All-in-one DVD Video Converter | Aimersoft
    Correction for link above. This is for Std. DVD Disks The link above is there Blu-Ray Ripper.
    I am still looking for something that allows me to adjust the aspect ratio as some of the videos I have are in PAL wide screen but show up with the 4:3 bars on the sides while they have the bars on the top and bottom.

If I take one of my Rammstien videos as an example it looks perfectly fine when I adjust the aspect in my PowerDVD on my laptop which is connected to my 42" plasma.

Is there anything out there for this?

A.
    03-09-12 05:13 PM
    Well I just figured out it's definately not the aspect that is screwing up because I downloaded an app called Yamb that fixes the Aspect on MP4 videos; the video is now 16:9 but its super stretched with the thick borders on the left and right of the video..

Any ideas?

A.
    03-09-12 05:28 PM
    I purchased Pavtube on the weekend and found that I have run into a problem with it. I find when I convert blueRay movies to 720 for the Playbook that the audio at times during the movie crackles on the Playbook's speakers.

Has anyone experienced this and or found a work around?

I am encoding the audio at 44100/160/Stereo.

Thanks
    A.
    03-12-12 08:27 AM
    ^ I use DVD Catalyst 4, if a movie has CC or subtitles, it can be toggled on to be copied during the dvd copying.

edit: looks like CC can be turned on in an advanced settings tab, adjustments to subtitles, etc. The program can be downloaded for trial to test everything.
    Last edited by oilgeo10; 03-14-12 at 11:28 PM.
    03-14-12 10:30 PM
    I'm traveling again next week and was hoping to rip some dvds onto my Playbook for the trip. I have a few questions for the community experts:
    Any suggestions on some easy to use, reliable software?
    Any tips for the best format to use?
    And, when ripping tv episodes from a season disk, anything special to keep in mind?
    I wouldn't rip a dvd to a playbook. Just download the stuff to your playbook using torrents. You can run atorrent as a torrent client.
    03-15-12 12:07 AM
    I wouldn't rip a dvd to a playbook. Just download the stuff to your playbook using torrents. You can run atorrent as a torrent client.
    Why wouldn't you rip a dvd to the Playbook?
    03-15-12 12:47 AM
    The reason to "rip" your own DVDS is that you can, legally. They have shut down a number of torrent sites and surely you don't want your IP address in their database. Besides, THAT WAS/IS ILLEGAL.

Ripping your own purchased DVD's is perfectly legal to place onto/into YOUR personal devices. As long as it's your DVD, your device.

Besides, running "on a torrent site" eats up your data, and is not as stable as a ripped/formatted "personal copy" of your own media. And you can swap out the movies as YOU DEEM your needs fit.

C
    03-15-12 09:33 AM
    Well I just figured out it's definately not the aspect that is screwing up because I downloaded an app called Yamb that fixes the Aspect on MP4 videos; the video is now 16:9 but its super stretched with the thick borders on the left and right of the video..

Any ideas?

A.
    I wouldn't attempt to 'fix' the aspect ratio. Try handbrake with the "Anamorphic: Strict" setting under Picture. That sets the aspect ratio in the encoded file to match the source video.
    03-15-12 09:43 AM
    DVD Catalyst 4 works and takes care of the optimum spec configuration for PB when it converts the file for image and sound.....worth the coin if you can make it happen.....
    03-15-12 09:49 AM
    I second this.
    Plus 1. Handbrake is great...SO simple to use.
    03-15-12 11:03 AM
    I find that handbrake has a problem ripping concert videos such as my Dire Straits Live DVD. It cannot seem to figure out the content.
    03-15-12 11:50 AM
    I find that handbrake has a problem ripping concert videos such as my Dire Straits Live DVD. It cannot seem to figure out the content.
    Just use Free Video Converter| MP4 FLV 3GP AVI MKV DVD| FREE Download

It even has settings for the PB!
    gwinegarden and Relletti like this.
    03-15-12 12:01 PM
    Are you trying to open the DVD directly with handbrake? handbrake does not rip DVDs and will not work if the disc has any sort of content protection (likely your problem)
    gwinegarden likes this.
    03-15-12 01:07 PM
    Are you trying to open the DVD directly with handbrake? handbrake does not rip DVDs and will not work if the disc has any sort of content protection (likely your problem)
    ...unless you're using the Mac version of Handbrake. In that case, no problem!
    03-15-12 01:21 PM
    Does anyone have a set of blackberry playbook presets for 'Handbrake'.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-16-12 02:00 PM
94 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD