I'm traveling again next week and was hoping to rip some dvds onto my Playbook for the trip. I have a few questions for the community experts:
    Any suggestions on some easy to use, reliable software?
    Any tips for the best format to use?
    And, when ripping tv episodes from a season disk, anything special to keep in mind?
    Willard814 and CDM76 like this.
    05-18-11 02:06 PM
    I'm traveling again next week and was hoping to rip some dvds onto my Playbook for the trip. I have a few questions for the community experts:
    And, when ripping tv episodes from a season disk, anything special to keep in mind?
    Danuisoft DVD Ripper or Pavtube Blu-Ray Ripper.
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-18-11 02:17 PM
    Handbrake! It's free and wonderfully easy! Use the ipad mp4 preset and it will work just fine!

HandBrake - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    Last edited by chasvs; 05-18-11 at 02:28 PM.
    nava707, Jince, Cayo71 and 4 others like this.
    05-18-11 02:25 PM
    Handbrake! It's free and wonderfully easy! Use the ipad mp4 preset and it will work just fine!

I second this.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-18-11 02:36 PM

^Definitely my ripper of choice.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-18-11 02:52 PM
    Another vote for Handbrake. All my stuff is ripped using the Apple TV preset ( because that is the format I primarly use ) and this works just fine on PB.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-18-11 04:58 PM
    thanks everyone i've used handbrake on a mac in the past but didn't know there was a windows version. I'll grab a copy and give it a try.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-18-11 05:32 PM
    I have used DVD Decrypter or DVD Cloner to rip many movies and store them on my hard drive. I just downloaded Handbrake and it says "your source may be copy protected, badly mastered or unsuported"

Also as my files are in a master folder and the movie is broken down into many pcs which file do I click on?
    12-01-11 10:47 AM
    I use Handbrake with the AppleTV 2 setting (I have one of those too) and it works great viewing those movies on the Playbook. Some DVD's get tricky with dummy versions so just make sure you check them out after you rip.
    12-01-11 12:14 PM
    There are many programs out there that allow you to make copies of your DVDs and let you watch them the way you want to view them. Like someone mentioned Danuisoft DVD Ripper or Pavtube Blu-Ray Ripper. Both of them works well. Pavtube is on sale on the company's site through Nov.5, 2011 if you choose it this option.
    12-13-11 10:54 PM
    I use winx dvd ripper. I think i'll give that handbrake one a shot
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-13-11 11:03 PM
    I use winx dvd ripper. I think i'll give that handbrake one a shot
    I use DVD catalyst. It has settings for most every portable application and does so with great quality.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Willard814 and cntrydncr223 like this.
    12-13-11 11:12 PM

I did this with several dvds a few weeks ago.... I followed advice from the forum and went with the ipad preset. It works sure... But it certainly does not make use of the playbooks widescreen dimensions. All my videos had a black bar on the sides to accommodate the ipads square screen. Does anyone know what the proper settings would be to make better use of the playbooks beautiful sized screen?
    12-13-11 11:17 PM
    For ripping DVDs I use Slysoft AnyDVD. From there handbrake does the rest. To maintain compatibility between my windows pcs, ps3, blackberries, playbook, coworker's xoom, ipads, ... I use:
    H.264 in a .m4v container
    Normal profile
    Strict anamorphic
    constant quality 20 (no change)
    decomb filter as needed
    First audio track AAC Dolby PLII 160kbps from a 5.1 AC3 source
    second audio track same source as first 5.1 AC3 stream in passthrough
    burned in subtitles if needed
    Last edited by heppycat; 01-25-12 at 02:38 PM.
    googlie likes this.
    12-14-11 12:26 AM
    Hey, folks, I am using pavtube BluRay ripper, so far I am very pleased with the application. After several conversions and tests I worked out the best settings for ripping DVD to Playbook:

Video
    Video Codec- H.264
    Video Format- .mp4
    Resolution- 1280*720
    Video Bitrate � 1500kbps
    Frame Rate � 30fps

Audio
    Audio Codec- AAC
    Audio Bitrate- 128kbps
    Sample Rate- 44.1khz
    Audio Channel- Stereo

I choose H.264 .mp4 as the best format for Blackberry Playbook conversion because it is the recommended video format for local playback on Blackberry Playbook tablet by Blackberry official site.

To be honest, the app is easy to use for editing and conversion and makes great quality copies of my DVDs. I really like that I can turn up the volume on my DVDs. The audio/video synchronization is very good, the size of the subtitles too. You can enter its offical website to learn more:

Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper - Rip/convert Blu-ray/DVD to AVI/MKV/MPG
    thanks for this... will this make the videos take advantage of the playbooks widescreen dimensions? i found the preset ipad settings to display the videos in a square rather than the hd rectangle of the playbook... i will try these out.... boy i love this forum... so much helpfull hintd, tricks and tips... thanks again.
    12-14-11 12:40 AM
    I did this with several dvds a few weeks ago.... I followed advice from the forum and went with the ipad preset. It works sure... But it certainly does not make use of the playbooks widescreen dimensions. All my videos had a black bar on the sides to accommodate the ipads square screen. Does anyone know what the proper settings would be to make better use of the playbooks beautiful sized screen?
    I've had this same issue trying to get a video to show correctly and it has to be some mystery with Handbrake. My HTC Sensation showed this same problem despite the source being in true 16:9 like the qHD screen of the Sensation.

My sources were set in Handbrake as "normal" profile which all my Apple gear had no issues with (including my older Apple TV which was the intended target).
    12-14-11 12:53 AM
    I second this.
    Handbrake. Brilliant piece of software... still can hardly believe it's free.
    12-14-11 08:34 AM
    I've had this same issue trying to get a video to show correctly and it has to be some mystery with Handbrake. My HTC Sensation showed this same problem despite the source being in true 16:9 like the qHD screen of the Sensation.

My sources were set in Handbrake as "normal" profile which all my Apple gear had no issues with (including my older Apple TV which was the intended target).
    It's the anamorphic setting. (danger! this is my mostly educated understanding) instead of storing the image as a 1280x720 pixel rectangle, it encodes the aspect ratio and leaves the player to stretch/smush as needed.
    12-14-11 11:05 PM
    Can someone tell me if the PB support subtitles? If so, which format will the subtitles need to be encoded in? If not, will the beta OS 2 support subtitles in the MKV container?
    12-26-11 11:46 PM
    I use Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate

Has a setting for Playbook

Works great
    herculesinwyoming likes this.
    12-27-11 10:43 AM
    Can someone tell me if the PB support subtitles? If so, which format will the subtitles need to be encoded in? If not, will the beta OS 2 support subtitles in the MKV container?
    Neither OS supports subtitles or the MKV container. You can find the supported formats here:http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp..._(English).pdf

I burn in subtitles with handbrake for foreign movies.
    12-28-11 03:36 PM
    Neither OS supports subtitles or the MKV container.
    Once os 2 hits the airwaves, mkv container support should be there, I'm currently able to run mkv container vids on OS Beta 2 for the supported playbook video encoding/audio codecs. Was glad to see that advancement!

I use handbrake as well, easy to use program.
    heppycat likes this.
    12-28-11 04:07 PM
    Once os 2 hits the airwaves, mkv container support should be there, I'm currently able to run mkv container vids on OS Beta 2 for the supported playbook video encoding/audio codecs. Was glad to see that advancement!

I use handbrake as well, easy to use program.
    Well that one slipped by me. I've stuck with m4v for compatibility with my ps3. Will have to throw together a test mkv. Thanks for the info!
    12-28-11 04:13 PM
    +1 for Handbrake

For my Macbook Pro, it has to have VLC to work correctly. It uses VLC for the DVD decryption. You have to have VLC 0.9something which still has the DVD decryption capabilities.

For Windows I decrypt first with DVD Decrypter or DVDShrink, then use the resultant files in Handbrake. This works well on my Macbook Pro Boot Camp partition
    12-28-11 04:19 PM
    I've been trying to use handbrake but when I do it seem to give me a video that only last 59mins and is all fizzy and jerky I have it on the ipad setting can anybody help? I've tried it with different dvds but it's still just the same. I'm doing this on a windows 7 laptop.
    12-29-11 08:57 AM
94 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD