I generally have my PB with me at work even though I don't always use it. Weekends, it can sit for a day or two between uses. Sometimes when it's low I put it on my car charger. So...

Is it best to keep it for days on the home charger when not being used?

Is it okay to let be battery fade for a few days before being put on the charger?

Is it a good idea to let it charge slowly with an auto travel charger?

Should the PB be used _while_ it charges?

Is it a good idea to _partially_ recharge the PB, take it off the charger and put it back on to continue charging after some use?

Any definitive answers?
    stackberry369 likes this.
    09-03-12 12:30 PM
    lithium ion batteries like to "stay charged"..
    Deep cycling (letting the battery become fully discharged before recharging) can shorten the overall battery life.

A good practice is to charge it when you're able... kinda like keeping your gas tank topped-off
    maxtor69 likes this.
    09-03-12 01:09 PM
    And if the battery really bottoms out, some folks have had problems recharing as Rim used some oddball circuitry.
    09-03-12 03:12 PM
    i remember I read a post here that you should charge when it closes to 50%
    09-03-12 03:29 PM
    lithium ion batteries like to "stay charged"..
    Deep cycling (letting the battery become fully discharged before recharging) can shorten the overall battery life.
    That may be true for li-ion batteries but the PB will shut down long before that happens.

Dave, there is no definitive answer to your question. Just charge when you can and try not to leave to the PB at 0 % for long periods.
    09-03-12 03:47 PM
    Well if you let it sit like I did for 2 weeks it is a bear to get it going again.
    I'm three hours into the entire de-bricking process and cannot get past the selection of language.

SO what ever you do these things are to dang sensitive to be left alone for long.
    Last edited by Chinookman; 09-03-12 at 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling
    09-03-12 04:24 PM
    I "top off" when I can and charge overnight every night since May 2011 and my PlayBook battery performance is GREAT
    09-03-12 04:28 PM
    Is it best to keep it for days on the home charger when not being used?
    "Best"... nobody really knows. Essentially harmless? Yes. Unlike some devices, the PlayBook stops charging itself when it deems the battery to be full.

Is it okay to let be battery fade for a few days before being put on the charger?
    If by "fade" you mean simply discharge a bit, from 100%, then sure, it's okay. No need either. Charge when you want/need to.

Is it a good idea to let it charge slowly with an auto travel charger?
    No real value in that. In theory charging too rapidly (with associated higher temperatures) will reduce the life of the battery, but in practice even the PlayBook rapid chargers are designed to charge slowly enough that this isn't a concern. Deliberately using a slow charger is unlikely to be worth the hassle.

Should the PB be used _while_ it charges?
    Sure, no problem at all with that, though if you're not using a rapid charger it will charge more slowly as a result.

Is it a good idea to _partially_ recharge the PB, take it off the charger and put it back on to continue charging after some use?
    Not really. When it's on the charger, fully charged, no power is being drawn from the battery. I did a test once where I left one of them unused on a charger for something like 3 weeks, and there was no indication that the voltage either dropped noticeably or that it re-enabled charging during that time. If I were to leave a PlayBook plugged in constantly, I might take it off every six months or so just to see if the battery was still there (who knows, very short aliens may have made off with it while I wasn't looking!) but there's no real need to do that.

Any definitive answers?
    As Chaddface says... nope. But mine aren't entirely unreliable either. ;-) (See my signature line.)

Note also that concerns about over-discharge are largely misplaced, as Chaddface points out. The PlayBook turns itself off well above the voltage where these batteries would be damaged, so unless you brought it down to 0% and then left it on the shelf for many months, there's no way you can do any measurable damage.
    diegonei likes this.
    09-03-12 04:35 PM
    My advice is:

- Never let it go down 10%.

I only charge it when its yellow or red, but thats just me.

I've been reading about this and all i see is that the battery doesnt have "memory", so you can recharge anytime you want.

But charging too often lowers/uses battery life, thats why i dont charge when its like 50%+.

This is what i do, and so far so good.

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-03-12 04:45 PM
    DavetheA, my advice is to listen to Peter9477.
    diegonei likes this.
    09-03-12 05:00 PM
    I "top off" when I can and charge overnight every night since May 2011 and my PlayBook battery performance is GREAT
    Same here. Amd when streaming I run while charging.
    09-04-12 03:44 AM
    But charging too often lowers/uses battery life, thats why i dont charge when its like 50%+.
    Topping off from higher levels is easier on the battery than draining further and then recharging. Even if you need more recharging sessions. I top off my Playbook every night (I use it as an alarm clock on the rapid charging dock).
    09-04-12 08:10 AM
    There is a lot of folk lore about this, but on balance from what I read (I'm not an EE or even an engineer of any type) it seems keeping it on the charger as much as possible is the favored position, so to speak.
    09-04-12 09:18 AM
    There is a lot of folk lore about this, but on balance from what I read (I'm not an EE or even an engineer of any type) it seems keeping it on the charger as much as possible is the favored position, so to speak.
    I am an EE and I agree with you.
    09-04-12 09:22 AM
    how come laptop batteries get knackered quickly if you treat them like that?
    DaveTheA likes this.
    09-04-12 12:50 PM
    Because Li-ions are on borrowed time as soon as they are produced. Time is what kills them, moreso than cycles. Now my advice of charing often is for a regularly used device. If it's going to sit unused for months, a lower charge around 30-50% is better, and keep it somewhere cool if possible.
    Last edited by rdjward; 09-04-12 at 01:09 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-04-12 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD