I need help finding the best price on my last PlayBook. I ordered a 64GB PB from Office Depot on the 20th of November and finally got a cancellation yesterday.

I've got a 64GB and my kids both have 16GBs, now I need a 32 or 64 for my wife to finish the set.

I can buy online from the States, or UK, or locally in the UK. The best deal I've seen so far is a 32GB for $159 with free shipping from icemonkey.com. Anyone know of something better before I commit?

Thanks Crackberry and Merry Christmas! Bring on the 10!
    12-22-12 05:34 AM
    Curry's PCWorld 129 for 64GB UK with free Leather Journal case.... equates to $208
    12-22-12 05:54 AM
    Curry's PCWorld 129 for 64GB UK with free Leather Journal case.... equates to $208
    That price is inclusive of VAT of course.
    12-22-12 07:24 AM
    Walmart in the U.S. has the 64GB PlayBook for $199.
    12-22-12 07:44 AM
    I think I will try eBay.
    12-22-12 10:24 AM
    My girlfriend bought me one today from currys, 129 64 gb playbook, free leathercase ( however they tried saying the leather case comes in some deal for 159 and insurance ) I rejected and got a case anywas.

But great offor for 64gb I bought 16 nearly year ago for 109 pound?
    BigwhiteUK likes this.
    12-22-12 10:29 AM
    I would NOT buy from ebay - particularly when there's plenty of excellent deals from shops which actually provide warranty! I've look on ebay a number of times and get shocked when some bidders go crazy & start bidding the price for a 64GB which is over the 129 you can grab it from pcworld in the uk. Madness. Think some people simply presume if its on there it must be cheaper, when 10 mins of internet research will alert you to the fact that, often, it isn't - plus if anything goes wrong you're slightly stuffed!
    12-22-12 12:14 PM
    Nothing wrong with ebay for me, have bought both a new and used PB using it. If you buy a new PlayBook on ebay, it will be covered by RIM's 1 year warranty. If buying used, read the description carefully, you can get a good deal on nearly new (mint condition ) PlayBooks. Have a new 32GB in my watchlist right now that sits at $51 with a few days to go.
    12-22-12 12:32 PM
    My girlfriend bought me one today from currys, 129 64 gb playbook, free leathercase ( however they tried saying the leather case comes in some deal for 159 and insurance ) I rejected and got a case anywas.

But great offor for 64gb I bought 16 nearly year ago for 109 pound?
    They are trying very very hard to get people to buy the insurance. Don't do it - the Sale of Goods Act provides all the protection you need, they can't avoid their responsibilities if it goes wrong, and they can't fob you off to RIM - you bought it from them, it's their responsibility no matter how much they don't want it to be.
    12-22-12 12:36 PM
    The PC World insurance is for equivalent no quibble whatever happens replacement for next 3 years - and I doubt the Playbook will last 3 years.
    Its replacement will probably be a 4G device at iPad prices - so I think quite a good deal for an insurance policy
    Journal case is a bulky bit of kit and at that size should have a keyboard.

Sent from my BlackBerry Curve 3G using Tapatalk
    12-22-12 01:48 PM
    The PC World insurance is for equivalent no quibble whatever happens replacement for next 3 years - and I doubt the Playbook will last 3 years.
    Its replacement will probably be a 4G device at iPad prices - so I think quite a good deal for an insurance policy

If you really want it replaced with another in 3 years time, then OK. But I would have thought that most people would have moved on by then. The warranty period in effect is a year, and the Sale of Goods Act is likely to be deemed to apply to the same period, which is ample. Why spend a quarter of the cost on something that you don't need in the first year, and probably won't want in the years after? Nor would you get a 4G at iPad prices in future, you would get up to 129 to spend on a new device, and no more, should a Playbook not be available. Add on to that that the "no quibble" part is not exactly true, and the way they were selling it was that I the consumer would have to talk to RIM, not them....

By the way, just as an aside, it's not an insurance policy as such. It's not backed up with an underwriter. If Curry/PC World stop paying in to the fund for any reason, you don't get the payout.
    12-22-12 01:55 PM
    They are trying very very hard to get people to buy the insurance. Don't do it - the Sale of Goods Act provides all the protection you need, they can't avoid their responsibilities if it goes wrong, and they can't fob you off to RIM - you bought it from them, it's their responsibility no matter how much they don't want it to be.
    They are also selling them with Norton tablet anti virus for 2.2 Andriod .....my mate bought 2 last week,got suckered into tbe insurance,bought the leather cases which are now free and 2 norton anti virus that won't work on the Playbook.....if you buy from Currys/PC world/Dixons (all the same chain)...do your'e own research and know what you want,their sales people are crap and are only interested in their commision.....they will sell you anything.
    12-22-12 07:27 PM

I doubt you would get that value of a replacement.......you would hardly get a 4g device for a non 4g device......i would guess maybe the likes of the Samsung tablet that sells for approx 150 at most if you were lucky.
    12-22-12 07:35 PM

Very much doubt a 4g device. You can bet on a refurb with new battery. Still not a bad thing.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    12-22-12 07:39 PM
    Just read the small print for the Currys insurance......crap as i thought

Replacement Product
    If we are unable to repair your product within 7 days for Whatever Happens™ Premier and 21 days for Whatever Happens™, you may request a replacement product. The replacement will usually be in the form of vouchers to enable you to purchase a product of equivalent specification. Occasionally you may receive a fully reconditioned product.

If you have originally purchased a product labelled as ‘previously owned’ or ‘non-pristine’ our 7 day and 21 day promises do not apply and you will receive vouchers to the value of the original price paid.......
    12-22-12 07:41 PM
    Nothing wrong with ebay for me, have bought both a new and used PB using it. If you buy a new PlayBook on ebay, it will be covered by RIM's 1 year warranty. If buying used, read the description carefully, you can get a good deal on nearly new (mint condition ) PlayBooks. Have a new 32GB in my watchlist right now that sits at $51 with a few days to go.
    Best of luck to you if you buy off Ebay, but most all manufacturers will not honor warranties on items purchased on Ebay.
    You might want to get something in WRITING from RIM on their polices. (Verbal won't hold up)
    International issues for the OP aside I'd buy off Amazon, Amazon LLC that is. (EG: SOLD and SHIPS from Amazon.com)

Here's what I'd do, find the model number of the unit you are desiring and go a hunting.

EG: RIM-PLAYBOOK64

12-22-12 08:06 PM