I have my PB bridged with a Bold 9700 and it works nicely... I would wait for QNX phones...
    09-21-11 07:21 AM
    i don't think you want to get the qnx phone. It will be a mini version of the playbook. The 99xx is the way to go so you feel like you have twoe useful tools instead of one with two different sizes.
    Really? They will kill each other then...

Anyway, it is probably worth to wait for QNX phones...
    Last edited by joshua_sx1; 09-21-11 at 09:01 AM.
    09-21-11 08:52 AM
    I was wondering what BB Phone I should get as a companion for my Playbook.
    Do I keep my BB9700 ? Do I get the 9900 ? Or do I wait for the "colt' ?
    If you don't covet a faster / more fluid user experience / web browser than your 9700's (which is upgradable to OS6, I believe?) and the device is in good working order, I'd just stick with the 9700. My old Torch 9800 did a fine job paired to my PlayBook, and my 9810 doesn't do a better job... if anything, the browser on the 9810 is improved to the point that I actually use my PlayBook LESS (but I still love it!)
    09-21-11 09:02 AM
    I had mine paired with my Storm2 9550 initially, and it worked beautifully. Have it paired with my new Torch 9850 (Storm3) and there's no noticeable difference in performance. Bridge is as Bridge does. The device used is almost immaterial, unless you have an ancient BlackBerry; in which case Bridge wouldn't load/work, anyway.
    09-21-11 01:35 PM
    Just as an information, I currently have ab PB32 with a Bold 9000 (yes, still alive; my big fingers like the biggest keyboard) and it works fine. Just a little short regarding 9000 battery life.

I don't know if newer phones *significantly* optimized 3G+ protocol of if the reception quality increased. So it may be a choice to take a new one ... or to search ebay for "reformed" 9000 at a tiny cost.
    *bigest keyboard* not anymore (and the new kb is even more addictive)

99xx is a little little bit bigger - they say about 4%

I got my 9900 two weeks ago and I can't go back.

Used my 9000 2 1/2 years before as the newer bolds where just not as good (kb).

Fantastic device. Now I want to touch every button etc. on the 9000-device when I have it in my hand ^^ (I still use it as my alarm clock)

The OS5-Update was very good/needed for the 9000 - but the memory was really a problem.

to the topic:

I would rather use a 97xx as a 99xx. The battery is lot stronger/device using less energy.

If "4G" is needed than of course you should get a newer device.

*edit: btw the older bb's like my 6230/7230 had even bigger keyboards *
    09-21-11 06:21 PM
    Really? They will kill each other then...

Anyway, it is probably worth to wait for QNX phones...
    it depends of what device you want and what you have at the moment.

I couldn't wait longer.

I had to get a new device as my Bold9000 was already ...

Also as far as I know the first QNX device will be a touch-only device and probably the first QNX-Bold will be out in 9 month or more. (I guess)

So if you need a new device with touch/keyboard combination - you can buy it. It probably makes no sense to wait so long if you need a new device.

I also was looking at the Motorola pro+ (I think in US it's called droid pro+?) but as my 9000 was pushed to it's limit, and the pro+ will be available in the 3rd quarter but the 9900 just launched my decision was easy. And right now I do not regret it. It is a fantastic device and of course I know BB's/OS etc. But the Appstore is really a bad minus. At the moment only 5-6k apps and a lot of os5/6 apps are not working. Android has a lot better Apps and is cheaper. (and I am not extremely into Apps but also I am missing a few)
    09-21-11 06:34 PM
    I had a 9700 with my PlayBook originally, But now I have the 9900 with my PlayBook and its awesome!!

The 9900 + 64gb Playbook = The Ultimate Combination.

09-22-11 08:48 AM
    Well my suggestion is try it with the 9700 you have, then decide- you just may be happy enough as is - I am -

It's been my friend for many years and if I get an urge to touch a screen I just head for the playbook. There really is no "best phone for the playbook", only what's best for you.
    Hi, sorry I dissappeared from the forum. Got buried by an avalanche of work. I have been using my playbook with my 9700 for the last couple of days and I'm quite happy with it. The browser on the playbook seems reasonably fast. And bridge has been stable with no issues. At this point I would have to agree that there is no perfect companion for the playbook and only what's best for me. I love my bold 9700 with all it's little quirks and even if I did upgrade I would not part with my first BB. My best friend just got a 9900 for his birthday and I'm planning on gifting him a PlayBook. Let's see whether that combo offers up any benefits for me B4 I take the leap myself. Will keep on posting as I compare the Bridge with various phones that my friends have

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-11 04:36 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD