Hi

The title says it: I'm looking for something more complete than Office to go or Smart Office 2 in terms of paragraph formatting.

Apparently, there is'nt anything really in app world. Maybe a sideloadeable android app?

Thanks for any suggestion.
    06-21-12 05:52 PM
    Oops, sorry: i thought i was on the app section of the forum. Mods, please feel free to move the thread...
    06-21-12 05:56 PM
    Quick Office Pro and Office Suite Pro are available for sideloading.
    06-21-12 07:32 PM
    I like office suite pro
    06-21-12 07:39 PM
    Thanks, I will look them up a later this evening.

By the by (I'm pretty new to all this...), where can I find apps that have been adapted for sideloading ? Is there one convenient place, or should I google them individually ?...

Thanks again.
    06-21-12 08:23 PM
    Try looking at www.googereader.com
    06-21-12 08:39 PM
    Also look in the sideloading forum.
    06-21-12 08:48 PM
    Ok, to the risk of appearing slow-witted, where can I find these apps properly adapted?

I've been looking high and low for officesuite, in here and through google, with no success. I actually found a link in the forums here, but it turned out to be dead.
    06-21-12 10:13 PM
    Try looking at www.googereader.com
    Oh, i think i get it : your link is wrong , and it should be Good e-Reader Android App Store - Playbook Android App Store

That should help my search.
    06-21-12 10:21 PM
    Well, no luck finding either app, even on Good e-reader.

Again, I'm very new to this. So far, I've only sideloaded one app, which I found on someone's personal page.

Where else should I look?
    And what happens when the apps are not free?

I'm very disappointed by the limitted functions on both Docs to go and Smart Office... I didn't expect full Word editors, of course, but at least a couple more basic functions, such as line spacing seem essential...

Thanks for your patience.
    jpash549 likes this.
    06-22-12 07:57 AM
    Try here- https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f661f...4A8CD45E%21135
    Change the extension to .bar after downloading, and don't dawdle, I won't leave them up forevevr.
    Chungfah, phwtos, seking and 1 others like this.
    06-22-12 08:45 AM
    I feel your pain. I haven't found a better app for working with MS office docs yet in 6 months. Docs to go is unfortunately too limited. I'd like to be able to use some fillable forms I have and can't.

Let us know if you find something.
    06-22-12 08:51 AM
    Try here- https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f661f...4A8CD45E%21135
    Change the extension to .bar after downloading, and don't dawdle, I won't leave them up forevevr.
    Got it.

Many thanks.

I feel your pain. I haven't found a better app for working with MS office docs yet in 6 months. Docs to go is unfortunately too limited. I'd like to be able to use some fillable forms I have and can't.

Let us know if you find something.
    I will.
    yunvi likes this.
    06-22-12 10:20 AM
    Didn't really like quick office pro or office suite pro, but let us know if you find the usability better than docs2go in ways I haven't discovered yet. Smart Office doesn't seem to support BT mouse/keyboards yet so it's a no-go until they do so.
    06-22-12 12:57 PM
    I'm toying with them right now. I'll report a bit later.

So far, the 4 apps that I've tried all seem incomplete. As if I'll need 3 of them installed in order to do everything...

And i have to say, that has been my experience so far with most pb apps: they always seem to be missing some function or other that i consider important. That is true for the file browsers i've tried as well as web browsers for example. One will be perfect but will lack a search function, the other will have search but will be limited in some other way, a third one will hang often, and so on... Plus the android apps that i have installed tend to freeze very often. (Officesuite is frozen as i'm writing this. And if i close and reopen it, it pops back up still frozen All my sideloaded android apps keep doing that.)
    Similarly, i have 3 different gps apps installed, all of which complete each other : magellan plots routes but won't work without internet, while mapdroyd allows to download and save maps but won't give you routes...

Anyways, so far i appreciate the variety of functions in officesuite, such as footnotes and paragraph formatting. But i'll have to work a bit with it before i get a better idea.
    FF22 and Sergeant HCR like this.
    06-22-12 02:18 PM
    Freezing android apps is pretty much cured with the beta OS 2.1. Osmand is a GPS app that allows you to download maps and has navigation (though you need to be on wifi to initially chart the route) as does Google maps (though with limited map downloads). Ghost Commander is a great file browser with search (need to go into settings to "activate") and many features- with one caveat- don't use it to make subfolders since your PB will not see any files you move into these folders (this is also probably true for all the android file browsers).
    jardin66 likes this.
    06-22-12 02:50 PM
    Freezing android apps is pretty much cured with the beta OS 2.1. Osmand is a GPS app that allows you to download maps and has navigation (though you need to be on wifi to initially chart the route) as does Google maps (though with limited map downloads). Ghost Commander is a great file browser with search (need to go into settings to "activate") and many features- with one caveat- don't use it to make subfolders since your PB will not see any files you move into these folders (this is also probably true for all the android file browsers).
    Thanks for this info.
    Good news about 2.1. It is still in beta mode right? I guess i'll have to wait then: not big on testing.

I'll look up osmand. I've just installed google maps, but hadn't realized you could dl maps with it. I'll look that up for sure.

And i already have ghost commander. I thought it was great except for the search function which, when i tried it, froze the app so badly that several restarts of the pb wouldn't unfreeze it. I had to uninstall and reinstall to fix it. But that could be due to not activating it maybe. (Looking into the settings right now and can't find that option...)
    06-22-12 03:05 PM
    For Ghost, go to settings. then Toolbar Settings, then Customize the Toolbar, then place a check mark next to search. It'll then appear on your Toolbar- and in case you didn't know, the toolbar scrolls left and right.
    06-22-12 04:03 PM
    Google maps (Latitude) has, as I said, limited downloadable maps (10 maps, each map covering a 10 mile by 10 mile square). Don't install any version later than 6.2- it'll crash when entering settings and you need to get into settings to activate map caching.
    06-22-12 04:09 PM
    So far, I'm impressed by OfficeSuite Pro's Word. The interface is bare, yet it features pretty much all the functions one would expect regarding font and paragraph formatting, inserting footnotes and end notes, tables, images, etc. Very impressive compared with the other apps !

There is only one bug though. Maybe someone can help me with it :

Yesterday, I wrote a document and saved it locally on the PB. Then I fetched it from my pc, over wi-fi, to open it with Word 2010. Everything was correctly placed, footnootes were there and everything.
    But then, still using OfficeSuite on the PB, I made a few changes and saved 2 different versions of the original document, using "save as" and giving them different names. I saved copies in the same folder as the original (the "documents" folder), and also in a different one.
    Here's the bug : These two newer versions appear on the PB when I fetch them either from OfficeSuite or from my file browser, but they are nowhere to be found when I look for them through the pc over wi-fi... Only the original document appears.
    I've tried refreshing Windows' browser but to no avail. Showing hidden files doesn't help either. And I've also restarted both Windows and the pb : the newer documents still only appear on the pb, but nowhere in Windows' browser. Connecting the pb to the pc via usb doesn't change anything. And finally, I tried to attach it to an email as a workaround : gmail gives me a "502" error.

On the other hand, I've created a different document from scratch, and this one appears in Windows' browser. I've saved a different version of it, and again it does appear...

Where have the other ones gone ? How can they appear on the PB browser but not in Windows ?

Maybe it's related, but almost every time I open OfficeSuite, it asks me if I want to recover one of the documents that I worked on during the last session, even though I always save them and close them properly...

Apart from that, the app is great. I just hope I don't have to worry all the time that documents that I create will be unviewable elsewhere than on the pb...
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 06-23-12 at 09:32 AM.
    06-23-12 09:26 AM
    Well, it keeps happening...

I had a Word document on my pc, which I transferred to the "Documents" folder on the PB. I opened it with OfficeSuite, added a line of text, saved it, and it immediately disappeared from the folder in Windows' browser. It is still there in PB's browser. I opened it again and saved a different version, same thing : invisible in Windows Explorer but visible on the PB.

Also, I tried re-transferring the file from my desktop to PB's document folder, but I get an error message.

Too bad : I thought I'd finally found the perfect Office suite... I hope I can find a solution to this.
    06-23-12 12:20 PM
    Some more details :

When I try copying and moving the files with Ghost Commander (the Word files that are invisible in Word Explorer), it gives me a "File is not accessible, permission denied" error message.

I am still able to open them with OfficeSuite though...
    06-23-12 12:59 PM
    Magellan 3.1 allows caching of offline maps - up to several gigs worth
    06-23-12 01:50 PM
    If you save as files anywhere but the Android downloads directory the file is corrupted by ALL android apps on the PlayBook unfortunately. Try using that location.

Good office support could make me give a Surface a try, especially if they make a smaller version. Not terribly keen on the 2lb 10.6 Intel model, can get a lighter Ultrabook...

For now I use Docs to go and Smart Office II and they do most of what I need.
    06-23-12 02:20 PM
    If you save as files anywhere but the Android downloads directory the file is corrupted by ALL android apps on the PlayBook unfortunately. Try using that location.

Good office support could make me give a Surface a try, especially if they make a smaller version. Not terribly keen on the 2lb 10.6 Intel model, can get a lighter Ultrabook...

For now I use Docs to go and Smart Office II and they do most of what I need.
    Thanks. I tried, but with the same result : I saved in PBdrive:\misc\android\download.
    Again, the first file created with OfficeSuite appears in Windows Explorer, but all subsequent versions don't.
    06-23-12 02:46 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD