I got my PB just a month ago. Having a great time with it. But disappointed with Bing maps. Pretty much useless. I'm looking for a handy map app. When i search in appworld, i come across a number of map apps. I'm confused which one to buy. Kindly suggest me a good mapping app (the best according to u). Thanks
    09-15-12 07:04 AM
    Try OsmAnd and Nogago(Nonago?).

They're both free on AppWorld and both let you use it offline(altough kinda glitchy).

I can't tell about the paid ones, cause i have none, but the users have talked about Magellan.

Hope i helped.

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-15-12 07:09 AM
    You can sideload google maps Latitude it works well but need to bridge to phone for live update of map data in the car. I also like mapdroid if you want an offline map but no turn by turn voice. Check the forum and good ereader site. Get google maps version 6.2 as it doesn't crash when you use the menus
    09-15-12 07:24 AM
    Try OsmAnd and Nogago(Nonago?).

They're both free on AppWorld and both let you use it offline(altough kinda glitchy).

I can't tell about the paid ones, cause i have none, but the users have talked about Magellan.

Hope i helped.

first, thanks for the suggestion. I just checked Osm . It does look good and its not free. But thats not a problem. I also tried looking up Nonago. It says no such file exist. Can u post the links, if possible?
    09-15-12 07:29 AM
    You can sideload google maps Latitude it works well but need to bridge to phone for live update of map data in the car. I also like mapdroid if you want an offline map but no turn by turn voice. Check the forum and good ereader site. Get google maps version 6.2 as it doesn't crash when you use the menus
    i dont care about turn by turn navigation. I just need a nice and clear map app that doesn't crash. Can u suggest a native app? I forgot to mention in the above post that i need a native map only. To me, google map (that u suggested) is the best, when google makes a native app for us. Though, don't know if that would happen.
    09-15-12 07:34 AM
    the map apps are listed in the top free or top paid sections of appworld. You can also search map and/or gps in app world. There are a bunch to choose from but I prefer the sideloads. Android sideloads work great in the 2.1 beta.
    Todor Ninov likes this.
    09-15-12 07:49 AM
    Osmand has both free and paid versions, and the free version is fine for your purposes. You can't find Nonago because it's actually called Nogago. And FWIW, they are essentually the same apps. Neither app is native, but I don't know why that matters- if they work, they work.
    09-15-12 08:17 AM
    Well for good maps:
    1. Sideload GoogleMaps (I think its Latitude now). Though never version of the app crash on opening settings menu [ Forum search for the best working version]
    2. OSMand - There is a free version too in the appworld. Get that (Has offline maps)

Don't know bout paid ones sorry.. But I hear a lot bout Magellan ..
    09-15-12 08:21 AM
    Nogago

Like someone said you'll see that they're pratically the same, but some users have said that Nogago works better offline.

In my case, i only use OsmAnd, but i do have Nogago installed and almost ready to go(have to dld the maps lol)

09-15-12 08:57 AM
    Google works well but whenever I try navigation I get gps signal lost
    09-15-12 01:13 PM
    Then try Osmand. It holds the GPS signal much better than Google (Latitude) and further does not need to be online to calculate a route, as Latitude does. Thus, if you stray off course when navigating offline, Osmand will recalculate your route without problem. Plus, when you get to your destination, you can calculate another route offline. These things are not possible with Latitude. Lastly, Osmand has the ability to store more map data for offline use.
    09-15-12 02:06 PM
    I have just looked at Nogago and it is good BUT they are using Mobile Atlas Creator which is free software and charging for its use to generate maps.

Mobile Atlas Creator is available at Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC) for free.

I have also purchased AlpineQuest which is an android app and packaged it as a .bar.

It runs perfectly on the Playbook and it works with maps generated by Mobile Atlas Creator as it will generate AlpineQuest .AQ format maps.

Check them both out as it has worked perfectly for me when I went to Scotland for a Walking holiday.

The clever part is that you can mix maps and overlay them.

i.e. I generated highlevel maps from Open source maps and low level detail maps from Memory Maps (old version circa 2004 OS25 scale)

Good enough to navigate by and still have reasonable detail for walking.

AlpineQuest link:
    AlpineQuest � Presentation
    09-15-12 06:23 PM
    Be careful of anything using Open Street Maps. Every program that uses this has been ruined by bad data for my City.

Favourites:
    Magellan Compass: Native app see above OSM warning.
    ViewRanger GPS: Great sideloaded android app with satellite views ~to Bing maps and can cache map tiles. This is really handy for recording tracks in the bush with no internet.
    Latitude: another sideloaded app with 10 sq. mile pre-cachable map areas
    09-16-12 08:11 AM
    I have just looked at Nogago and it is good BUT they are using Mobile Atlas Creator which is free software and charging for its use to generate maps.
    With Nogago for the Playbook you just download the map for your city (or any city) through the app itself. There is no extra charge.
    Nogago is designed for pedestrian / bicycle use, using smaller map areas. OsmAnd is very similar but designed for larger scale use, using larger map areas.
    09-16-12 08:30 AM
    With Nogago for the Playbook you just download the map for your city (or any city) through the app itself. There is no extra charge.
    Nogago is designed for pedestrian / bicycle use, using smaller map areas. OsmAnd is very similar but designed for larger scale use, using larger map areas.
    I've edited out my original comments. I was having trouble downloading the maps for some reason. I see trying to use the map-downloads from my computer, it was to charge but I was able to download maps using the pb, finally. And now I've successfully added a POI for the hotel I'll be staying at in Munich next January. I admit the last time, I wandered the Old Town of Munich and could not find my way back to the hotel and no, I did not overindulge just because the stein was large enough to bathe in! I've also downloaded the two areas in the Dolomites where we will be cross-country skiing. I have not looked those over yet.
    Last edited by F2; 09-16-12 at 01:40 PM.
    09-16-12 12:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD