I heard there's some crappy ones... which do I look for?
    01-31-13 03:47 AM
    In the past I got one from ebay like this one. I think you will be disappointed. Soon the bottom holders will hang due to the PB's weight and swiping from the bottom bezel will be affected. My experience with the ebay keyboards is a bad one (constant bluetooth connection drops and double characters). I was typing for 5 mins and I was spending another 5mins to correct what I had typed. Others have reported no problems with similar keyboards. Imho go for the blackberry keyboard.
    01-31-13 05:06 AM
    The official BB keyboard is the best one and the only one with a track pad. It works great.
    bbfan1040, calles and Vorkosigan like this.
    01-31-13 05:51 AM
    The official BB keyboard is the best one and the only one with a track pad. It works great.
    So agree - but (and it's only a little but...) for me there was a 2-3 hour learning curve. I was cursing with the keyboard, and saying that I was going to take it back to Best Buy and then -pouf - suddenly it clicked! Now I type faster on this keyboard than on my regular keyboard with the desktop! I have big hands and had to adjust my reaching habits as this keyboard is very compact. It's also the only one with a cursor, which is great when you are feeling clumsy with the touchscreen or trying to click on a lot of small links.

I also scroll on the touchscreen with my left hand and use the cursor with my right hand - really convenient. I o all my emails on this computer and woould probably do all my documents on it too if DOCS to go were better.....
    01-31-13 07:44 AM
    as of right now, if your open to a separate bluetooth keyboard, try the microsoft wedge. It is easily the best put together keyboard, and works great paired with a microsoft mouse
    01-31-13 08:07 AM
    I've tried several and so far the OEM keyboard/case is the best hands down. Especially for portability, mouse and killer battery life. As mentioned above, if you don't need to carry it with you, there are several larger kbs that work well with the PB but you'll have to pair a separate mouse if you want that feature.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    01-31-13 12:30 PM
    as of right now, if your open to a separate bluetooth keyboard, try the microsoft wedge. It is easily the best put together keyboard, and works great paired with a microsoft mouse
    does it pair well with the playbook
    01-31-13 06:31 PM
    Timely thread as I've been wondering the same thing. I have the really nice leather portfolio cover for my PB but it looks like the BB OEM keyboard comes with a cover. I guess I can't have it both ways.
    01-31-13 07:37 PM
    If you get a keyboard, I recommend getting one with a built-in trackpad.

I have one by IOGear. It's almost a full-sized keyboard, but it has a track pad and I don't intend to use it when I travel. The best thing about this keyboard is that it can support multiple bluetooth hosts. I can quickly switch it over easily from my Playbook to my Android mini-pic with just one click. I believe it supports up to 5 different hosts. I find this to be a super useful feature. The feel of the keyboard is a bit on the cheap side, but it hasn't failed yet and does the job fine.

Another keyboard worth check out is the Logitech unit that also has a built-in multi-touch keypad. Haven't tried it out, but the reviews for it were ok.
    02-01-13 12:05 AM
    The Z10 is the best keyboard for the PB!
    02-01-13 12:17 AM
    FWIW, I intended to mainly use the OEM kb for some travel and meetings but it's so compact and versatile that I've found I prefer to carry it always now. If you don't care for compact kbs I would look elsewhere.
    02-01-13 12:51 AM
    I have the official Blackberry keyboard case. I think it is the best deal. I know cheaper Bluetooth keyboards exist, but the Blackberry official one is just worth every penny.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    02-01-13 01:09 AM
    My bold 9930 is the best keyboard for my playbook. :} yeahhhhhi use it always. And the screen is the track pad
    David in Durham likes this.
    02-01-13 01:18 AM
    Hello achiquitachaser. I am interested in getting the microsoft wedge keyboard and mouse. Have you tried them with a playbook? Does it work well?
    02-08-13 05:48 AM
    sorry should of specified in my post further, yes I did use both with my playbook, its a great combo.
    02-08-13 06:53 AM
    In the past I got one from ebay like this one. I think you will be disappointed. Soon the bottom holders will hang due to the PB's weight and swiping from the bottom bezel will be affected. My experience with the ebay keyboards is a bad one (constant bluetooth connection drops and double characters). I was typing for 5 mins and I was spending another 5mins to correct what I had typed. Others have reported no problems with similar keyboards. Imho go for the blackberry keyboard.
    That is the exact one that I'm using right now. While I haven't had any problems with hanging holders, and minimal issues with dropouts, I do see the double-character problem constantly. You can avoid that by typing slowly and carefully... something I just don't enjoy doing.

Where can you find the OEM keyboards? BlackBerry's own accessories store has been shut down for... well, I don't know how long. I don't think I've ever actually seen it open. The only examples I keep finding online are this eWonder model.

I have to say, though. It's battery life is remarkable. I charge it about once a month whether it needs it or not. I've never actually managed to drain the battery completely, I just take an attitude of "Ah, well. It's been a few weeks. Might as well throw it on the charger."
    02-08-13 07:30 AM
    Absolutely!! When you HDMI to your TV or monitor, it is a hoot! (You will have to learn a couple of pad moves related to backing out of the current situation - on the BB website.). Also: comes with a very sweet oem convertible case. Adding a second or third tablet is wonky but works just great!
    Doctor Neutron
    02-08-13 08:04 AM
    I think I'm going together the BB keyboard. Looks like the way to go.
    02-08-13 08:27 PM
    I'm using a Geyes GK-208 foldable keyboard: Amazon.com: Elc (Geyes) Gk208 Foldable Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard with Holder for Iphone/ Ipad/ Smart Phone/ Computer: Everything Else

Cheap and cheerful, if you break it go buy another one

It's a bit chunky when folded up but it folds out to almost a full-sized keyboard. There are some quirks like the double space keys and the rubbery key pads. It supports Windows and Mac hotkeys and Playbook Ctrl-key shortcuts for copy and paste. I use it for presentations with the Playbook hooked up to a TV or projector, with the keyboard and Bluetooth mouse right in front of me. The whole combo is a portable office that weighs 800 grams.
    02-08-13 10:12 PM
    Which microsoft mouse if I may ask? Just read somewhere there is an interference between the microsoft wedge keyboard and wedge mouse. Thanks
    02-09-13 12:52 PM
    the notebook mouse 5000 never had a problem with interference with wedge keyboard.
    02-10-13 12:13 AM
    I have Microsoft wedge & keyboard and they are excellent but I found that the mouse won't stay connected (I have two PlayBooks and its the same on both). Also whilst I purchased the European format it seems to map to US and I can't seem to change this. This just what I have found though as I'm sure someone else said they work fine
    02-10-13 01:22 PM
    Yea the RIM bluetooth keyboard is a winner in my books. It's a bit expensive but found some places you can get it for less than $80...
    02-10-13 02:39 PM
    I have the basic Apple wireless keyboard, model A1314. It works very well with the PlayBook, especially if you like the feel of the physical keyboard.

I also have the Z10 and it is a great keyboard to use once you set up remote control feature of the bridge. Really sweet. Especially using the voice dictation feature. Press and hold the period (to the right of the space bar, notice the little Grey microphone). You speak or dictate you next sentence or 2 or 3. When done, tap on the mic icon. It inserts your words onto the PB via the bridge remote control. Amazing!!!

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-10-13 06:36 PM
    Where would you find it for less than $80? Thanks
    02-10-13 06:58 PM
28 12