Hi Gang,

Hi, I'm Chris.
    This is my first post to the forum, so please be gentle with me...
    I am about to take delivery of my first Playbook (64Gb WiFi only), and I'm quite excited, especially with all the talk about BB10 being available on it soon.
    Anyway, question is this. Wheras I think I'll be fine with the touchscreen keyboard, the missus, who will be using it as well sometimes prefers a 'proper' keyboard. I was hoping that some of you could let me know their thoughts on what the best (cheap) keyboards are - I think I would prefer it to be wireless, and on the small abount of research I've already done, I'm not sure if a USB keyboard will work anyway, but what are peoples thoughts on the best sub-20 quid or so keyboards for the Playbook?

EDIT: I'm especially keen to know about any cheap ones that definitely WONT work, as then I can make sure I avoid them and don't waste my money (I have read that certain Bluetooth keyboards will not work correctly with the Playbook)

Thanks.
    Last edited by ChrisMay; 01-11-13 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Additional information
    01-11-13 06:01 AM
    I'm getting one of these folding Bluetooth keyboards soon (Amazon.com: Elc (Geyes) Gk208 Foldable Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard with Holder for Iphone/ Ipad/ Smart Phone/ Computer: Everything Else). Cheap and cheerful and I hope it will work with the Playbook, I tried a few others and they either didn't pair correctly or had problems when typing.
    ChrisMay likes this.
    01-11-13 06:22 AM
    I purchased the OEM BlackBerry PlayBook Bluetooth Mini KeyBoard+ csae, from CoastCentral for $45. The sales for this keyboard pop up every now and then. I suggest keeping an eye out as a sale will probably be in the near future. Crackberry is due for a sale on this item also. Its one of the BEST accessory I've purchased for my PlayBook. Welcome to CrackBerry.........ENJOY
    ChrisMay likes this.
    01-11-13 07:34 AM
    Welcome to the CrackBerry community! If you do a search here you will find videos and reviews that will help. In fact, CB will help you get a lot more out of your PB all around. I have the official OEM BlackBerry PlayBook Bluetooth Mini KeyBoard + case. Got it for Christmas and am still getting used to it but think I really like it. Enjoy your PB. Soon you will be so addicted you might have to each have one.
    ChrisMay likes this.
    01-11-13 08:27 AM
    I bought this case and BT keyboard off ebay.

Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard PU Leather Case Cover for Blackberry Playbook Tablet | eBay

Easy to set up, and works fine.

Malcolm.
    Attached Thumbnails Best CHEAP Keyboard?-img-20130111-00538.jpg  
    01-11-13 12:34 PM
    I would spend a little extra money on the Blackberry mini-keyboard. The cheap keyboard don't have a touchpad and me having gorilla hands it make it nice clicking small boxes on the screen without enlarging them. Good luck and enjoy your PlayBook.
    01-11-13 01:30 PM
    I got one like this from Amazon:

It works great, and has a little joystick/mouse pointer and swiping areas for scrolling (upper right corner)
    Amazon.com: GMYLE Handheld Mini Bluetooth HID Wireless Chicklet Keyboard with Mouse Control Combo for Media Center PC, Windows 7/Vista/XP, Apple iPad & Sony PS3: Computers & Accessories
    GMYLE Handheld Mini Bluetooth HID Wireless Chicklet Keyboard with Mouse Control Combo for Media Center PC, Windows 7/Vista/XP, Apple iPad & Sony PS3

Doesn't seem to be available any more, but you might find it elsewhere.
    PROS:
    It pairs great, it runs off of standard batteries, which last a long time, and it's solidly built. The mouse/joystick is better for me than a trackpad, and the little swiping areas are a great feature
    CONS:
    There is no ability to change the tracking speed/behavior of the mouse pointer. It's slow to get from one side of the screen to another, and then when you want to precisely hone in on something it seems a little too fast.
    The keyboard is too small for my comfort.

Think carefully before getting a mini keyboard. For me, I end up hunting and pecking on it, so typing is just as slow as on the Playbook itself (or slower, because I'd pay less attention to word suggestions with the physical keyboard). The pointing device is nice to have, but note the limitations above. I might end up getting a folding full-size keyboard some day, but they all seem to be overpriced for what they're offering (and I understand that many of them don't lock open nicely, so it's hard to use them to type on an irregular surface like a lap).
    01-11-13 01:49 PM
    if you can find the hp touchpad keyboard it doesnt have the trackpad or arrow keys but for heavy duty typing it is nearly identical to the apple keyboard. for moving around etc just touch the screen then type on the keyboard.

you can pick it up for around $25 if you can find it.

i have both the hp touchpad keyboard and the rim bluetooth keyboard.
    01-11-13 02:21 PM
    Hi, I see you're in the UK. PC World have a small, relatively cheap keyboard which works well with my Playbook - it's an Advent K512 ADVENT K512 Wireless Tablet Keyboard Deals | Pcworld . It's reasonably nice to use, feels like a proper keyboard, no funny missing/extra keypresses, and the battery life is good so far. I use it for taking notes in class, and it does the job well. It's a bit over budget at UKP24.99 though.
    Andrew
    01-11-13 03:52 PM
    Motorola Bluetooth Keyboard 89451N +/- $15 on Ebay...
    01-11-13 04:17 PM
    I tried the HipStreet Venture and it worked great. For 4 days. Back it went and I found the BlackBerry mini keyboard with touchpad on sale for $47.99 Canadian. It's awesome so far.
    01-11-13 05:21 PM
    Hi there,

I got a Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile keyboard 5000 and a SonyVaio VGP-BMS20 Mouse from PC world. The mouse was 6.99 and the keyboard was between 14.99 and 19.99 so a little over budget but they are brilliant, not the mose portable but not bad and full size key typing makes life a breeze, the only down side I can see is that when you pair a bluetooth keyboard the playbook assumes it is a US layout, so no GBP sign and when you type @ you get " and visa versa, but that is a tiny price to pay and you can still pull up the screen keyboard to get a so its all good.

With the Charging stand as well it really does work very nicely like a tiny laptop!

Best CHEAP Keyboard?-img_00000060.jpg
    01-11-13 06:21 PM
    01-11-13 10:35 PM
    Hi there,

I got a Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile keyboard 5000 and a SonyVaio VGP-BMS20 Mouse from PC world.
    How does a mouse work with the playbook?? Do you get a pointer on the screen like a PC/Laptop??

Thanks,

Chris.
    01-16-13 06:49 AM
    Works great. Everything functions, at least mine does. It's a MS BT mouse. Yes, you get the pointer.
    01-16-13 07:00 AM
    Hello, I bought an advent Bluetooth tablet keyboard. Can I connect it with android 4.1? If yes how?
    thanks
    05-28-13 03:52 PM