I know this story has been told before but here we go again! I stopped at Best Buy with the intention of buying a PB 16G if they still had one this afternoon. Low-and-behold they did not have any PBs in stock and the 'expert' sales rep went on to tell me that all playbooks have been discontinued, neither their store, nor any other store still has any, BB is not going to provide service for PB in the future, and since BB only has 10% of the market he doesn't recommend anything other than android and iOS products. On top of all that he said that the PB really wasn't very good at anything anyway and he doesn't know why they still have the display model.

All of that from the simple question about stock levels for a tablet. I should have told him I would take the display model off his hands for a steep discount! I m sure he would have had to call his district manager for such a "BOLD" move .

I hate asking today's retail employees questions! Most of them have no idea what they are talking about and instead of saying "let me find out", they spew some garbage that most people blindly believe. OK, I feel better now!
    07-12-12 05:25 PM
    Well glad you feel better
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    07-12-12 05:36 PM
    Well it depends where you live.. The Best Buy here still has the PlayBook (i live in Western Canada).. In fact, it has it's own space just for the PlayBook to showcase.. There's 2 PlayBook's up for display and it's placed in front of all the Android's.. iPad has their own property in the store. As well, they have all the information about OS 2.0 beside the PlayBooks. In fact, I convinced someone to buy the PlayBook there. BEST BUY SHOULD PAY ME!
    Puddin13 likes this.
    07-12-12 05:42 PM
    I always like to press them for details at that point and watch them stumble all over themselves trying to act like they know what they are talking about. It's kind of fun.

Like "Oh so what exactly is it not good at?" Challenge them on each lie, don't let up until they turn red and start sweating.
    07-12-12 05:45 PM
    I always like to press them for details at that point and watch them stumble all over themselves trying to act like they know what they are talking about. It's kind of fun.

Like "Oh so what exactly is it not good at?" Challenge them on each lie, don't let up until they turn red and start sweating.
    Yeah this is always a fun experiment

Pretend you have no idea and ask some ridiculously simple questions then go pro on them
    Puddin13 likes this.
    07-12-12 06:21 PM
    I did ask the guy if he was sure that they were discontinued and he said at least Best Buys was discontinuing them.
    07-12-12 06:32 PM
    What is with peoples obsession with best buy on here? Who cares
    07-12-12 06:33 PM
    Haha just ask the sales person, "I'm looking for a tablet that supports flash, have dual cameras that shoot 1080p HD, stereo speakers and stereo microphone, has the Highest Score on HTML5 test", HDMI, "real" multi-tasking... and see what he/she has to say...

If he/she doesn't say PlayBook, TELL THEM THEY'RE WRONGGGGGGGGGGGG!
    07-12-12 06:43 PM
    I think he meant they won't be carrying it anymore because Best Buy is being discontinued .
    07-12-12 06:47 PM
    What is with peoples obsession with best buy on here? Who cares
    Honest people care.
    snarlybear, Blacklatino and beibsy like this.
    07-12-12 07:01 PM
    I know this story has been told before but here we go again! I stopped at Best Buy with the intention of buying a PB 16G if they still had one this afternoon. Low-and-behold they did not have any PBs in stock and the 'expert' sales rep went on to tell me that all playbooks have been discontinued, neither their store, nor any other store still has any, BB is not going to provide service for PB in the future, and since BB only has 10% of the market he doesn't recommend anything other than android and iOS products. On top of all that he said that the PB really wasn't very good at anything anyway and he doesn't know why they still have the display model.

All of that from the simple question about stock levels for a tablet. I should have told him I would take the display model off his hands for a steep discount! I m sure he would have had to call his district manager for such a "BOLD" move .

I hate asking today's retail employees questions! Most of them have no idea what they are talking about and instead of saying "let me find out", they spew some garbage that most people blindly believe. OK, I feel better now!
    You got exactly what you deserved.
    07-12-12 07:02 PM
    Why is that?
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    07-12-12 07:15 PM
    The fact is most retailers are pumping Apple and Android...must be getting incentives. Rogers sold my brother 2 Samsungs recently; BlackBerry wasn't mentioned.
    07-12-12 08:55 PM
    I think he meant they won't be carrying it anymore because Best Buy is being discontinued .
    Awesome line. The next time a Best Buy employee tells someone RIM is going bankrupt, they should say "oh, just like Best Buy then?" all innocently.
    07-12-12 09:39 PM
    Oh man, that's horrible -_-
    finkle56 likes this.
    07-12-12 10:37 PM
    Awesome line. The next time a Best Buy employee tells someone RIM is going bankrupt, they should say "oh, just like Best Buy then?" all innocently.
    MUHAHAHAHAAAA

I am soo doing this
    anson1331 likes this.
    07-13-12 12:40 AM
    I went into one the other day to get a new bb and I was all pumped to say pretty much that as my come back but alas the guy didn't say anything. he just told me they didn't have what I wanted and would have to go online.

I was specifically going to say "so is best buy but you showed up for work today so go get me what I asked for and stop trying to talk me out of spending money in your store." In the end I didn't have to spend anything though, the 9860 was free online. score.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk 2
    Puddin13 likes this.
    07-13-12 03:03 AM
    I convinced a friend after long discussions to get a Playbook back in the spring. He bought it and got it stolen few days later while traveling. Reading all the bad press about RIM he hesitated once again to buy it back with his insurance money. I finally convinced him again. So he went to Best Buy of March� Central in Montr�al. When he asked for the Playbook, the sales person asked my friend if he was sure about that, adding that 70% of all Playbooks have been brought back, that all their available Playbooks in store were "returns", that RIM tablet is unreliable, has issues with the browser, the mail service, the battery life, that the Playbook is freezing all the time, and other lies. But instead of really pushing iOS or Android, he ended up his anti-sales pitch by saying that he does not like any tablet as a matter of fact. So my previously convinced friend returned home all shaken and empty handed. Can you imagine now the same salesman with a poor client who has no idea what to buy? Certainly bad for RIM and bad for Bust Buy!
    Last edited by WIdo; 07-13-12 at 03:31 AM.
    07-13-12 03:27 AM
    OP:
    I know this story has been told before but here we go again! ...snip
    Me:
    You:
    Why is that?
    Surprised you couldn't figure this out. The OP damned themselves in their first sentence.

The OP had prior knowledge of Best Buy tactics and still actively sought out a Kobayashi Maru.

What result did they expect?
    Last edited by sinsin07; 07-13-12 at 03:54 AM.
    07-13-12 03:47 AM
    People care about the truth because letting a lie go unchecked is almost as bad as the lie itself. Like, Joe Paterno. He didn't get fired for molesting children he was fired for failing to report that. You don't need to be an FBI agent to figure that out.

And you don't need to work for RiM to realize these guys only want to push products that have contracts as in mobile data so they can make more money. So it isn't just Best Buy but I'm sure the carriers also want to sell a 4G tablet over a wifi only tablet
    07-13-12 11:37 AM
    People care about the truth because letting a lie go unchecked is almost as bad as the lie itself. Like, Joe Paterno. He didn't get fired for molesting children he was fired for failing to report that. You don't need to be an FBI agent to figure that out.

And you don't need to work for RiM to realize these guys only want to push products that have contracts as in mobile data so they can make more money. So it isn't just Best Buy but I'm sure the carriers also want to sell a 4G tablet over a wifi only tablet
    Then why do they push wifi ipads? Or any wifi tablet for that matter?

My reasoning that best buy doesn't want to sell the PlayBook is that it is a 15 month old tablet.
    07-13-12 12:30 PM
    Whoa, settle down there internet tough guy . I walked in knowing that Best Buy was iOS friendly but did nor expect outright disdain for Blackberry and their products. Usually when someone inquires about a particular product they have some level of interest in buying that product. Employees should nurture that desire to get a sale (you know, the reason they are there).
    07-13-12 12:44 PM

My reasoning that best buy doesn't want to sell the PlayBook is that it is a 15 month old tablet.
    I don't work for the carrier or BB. But I am sure there is some commisson or bonus for pushing a certain product. Apple and Androids are high sellers and you prolly get more inventory from them if you sell more of their product, and its going to sell its only a mattr of who will sell it?

That is probably another reason why things such as customer needs or employee education are discarded. Also if I am correct, employees are trained about a product before its released. The PB is old and there is most likely no training for it since most people are reporting experience with ignorant sales workers

Then, add in bias and brand recognition(workers might own an ipad) so it all adds up.

Rims hope is to have a huge Bogo sale on BB7 when school starts, then, release BBX later with the tablet
    07-13-12 01:01 PM

I think BlackBerry should be like Apple, blow out a new version of their tablet every year, add a new feature or two so you have the latest and greatest, at least until next year when what you have will suck and you have to shell out another 6 or 700 dollars to have the next latest and greatest.
    07-13-12 01:20 PM
    Like "Oh so what exactly is it not good at?"
    Duh... Access to good apps?

Get real RIM fanboys, the tablet COULD BE very nice, but appworld and lack of interest from major app developer is killing it slowly but surely....

99% of major tech blogs and website are not even mentionning it in their 7" tablet comparison - and you think that's because they know $h1t about tablets?

Originally Posted by mcmolineux
    BB share didn't drop 95% last I checked
    Last edited by RicThot; 07-13-12 at 01:36 PM.
    07-13-12 01:34 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD