Best Buy seems to be out of stock for the playbooks. Also, this morning their website is showing the old prices: 499 and up! See playbook - BestBuy
    03-11-12 06:41 AM
    probably it's error
    03-11-12 07:26 AM
    Still 199 @ bestbuy.ca
    03-11-12 07:42 AM
    Staples stores in CT have the 16gb at $299 marked down to $199 clearance - salesman didn't know why they are listed as clearance.
    03-11-12 08:50 AM
    Hmm, better off ordering it at Shop BlackBerry or someone who still has it on sale!
    03-11-12 08:52 AM
    Sure looks like BestBuy is either getting out of the PB business or they're expecting new PB hardware soon. The 16GB version says unavailable for shipping.

We may be seeing the end of the $199 PB deal soon.
    03-11-12 09:09 AM
    I've got to tell you - I went in to my local Best Buy in central. California yesterday and was told by any the salesman that the PlayBook has been discontinued. I told him that he was flat out wrong and I wanted to speak with the manager as I was tired of this misinformation campaign by Best Buy. I then proceeded to inform the manager that their employees continued choice of poor wording is getting them slammed on blogs nationwide. I told him that what they should have said is that they were out of stock, but that they could order online - not the lie that they are discontinued. The manager agreed and stated that he would re-educate his employees. On the manager's behalf, the stores have been directed to pull the stock from the shelves and it will be an on-line only item. (At least for now. Another bad move on RIM's part unless they are finally tired of the trashing they get from Best Buy and have something better planned.)
    03-11-12 09:18 AM
    Staples stores in CT have the 16gb at $299 marked down to $199 clearance - salesman didn't know why they are listed as clearance.
    Could just be a retail tactic, since consumers tend to think they're getting a better deal. 50% off, limited qty etc tends to make people more likely to buy.
    03-11-12 09:26 AM
    I've got to tell you - I went in to my local Best Buy in central. California yesterday and was told by any the salesman that the PlayBook has been discontinued. I told him that he was flat out wrong and I wanted to speak with the manager as I was tired of this misinformation campaign by Best Buy. I then proceeded to inform the manager that their employees continued choice of poor wording is getting them slammed on blogs nationwide. I told him that what they should have said is that they were out of stock, but that they could order online - not the lie that they are discontinued. The manager agreed and stated that he would re-educate his employees. On the manager's behalf, the stores have been directed to pull the stock from the shelves and it will be an on-line only item. (At least for now. Another bad move on RIM's part unless they are finally tired of the trashing they get from Best Buy and have something better planned.)
    Maybe they are getting ready to launch the 4G model an need to start preparing.

I worked at Circuit City(anyone remember this chain?) back in H.S. and sometimes it would take weeks to get ready for a new product.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-11-12 at 10:08 AM.
    03-11-12 09:35 AM
    BestBuy in my area stopped selling PlayBook's a few months back. RIM received "horrible" BestBuy selling attitude towards the PlayBook from the beginning.....so maybe this is a good thing
    03-11-12 09:38 AM
    BestBuy in my area stopped selling PlayBook's a few months back. RIM received "horrible" BestBuy selling attitude towards the PlayBook from the beginning.....so maybe this is a good thing
    It's never a good thing when one of the Nation's largest retailers stops carrying your product. If you're still trying to sell it, that is.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-11-12 at 10:08 AM.
    03-11-12 09:40 AM
    It's never a good thing when one of the Nation's arrest retailers stops carrying your product. If you're still trying to sell it, that is.
    True, but if there trying to sell everything but your product and then on top of that their "bad mouthing" your product.......
    03-11-12 09:47 AM
    True, but if there trying to sell everything but your product and then on top of that their "bad mouthing" your product.......
    That was a small sampling. I'm in Best Buy all the time. No sales rep ever trashed the PB to me.

But, given that theory, even if 25% - 50% of all BB stores "trashed" the PB. Would corporate make the decision to pull the product from 100% of the stores? Doubtful.

Personally, it probably has more to do with getting all their systems ready for a new product launch than anything else.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-11-12 at 10:55 AM. Reason: typo
    03-11-12 10:07 AM
    Maybe they are getting ready to launch the 4G model an need to start preparing.

I worked at Circuit City(anyone remember this chain?) back in H.S. and sometimes it would take weeks to get ready for a new product.
    Yes, they are called 'The Source' in Canada and I think Radio Shack in the US...
    03-11-12 10:14 AM
    That was a small sampling. I'm been in Best Buy all the time. No sales rep ever trash the PB to me.

But, given that theory, even if 25% - 50% of all BB stores "trashed" the PB. Would corporate make the decision to pull the product from 100% of the stores? Doubtful.

Personally, it probably has more to do with getting all their systems ready for a new product launch than anything else.
    I've had my PlayBook since May, and even though Crackberry PlayBook owners make up a small percentage of owners, I've read a lot of negative experiences concerning BestBuy and their selling "tactics" concerning the PlayBook. I hope BestBuy continues to sell the PlayBook because they do have a large consumer base, just educate their staff and not be so negative where the PlayBook is concerned
    03-11-12 10:18 AM
    Yeah I see them for $499 too and the refurbished unit still $169
    I need to take a pic of the Best Buys PB display around my way then. The display makes it look like a God compare to the other tablets around it and the Sales person was telling me this is a Hot item and we are completely sold out.
    03-11-12 10:31 AM
    Yes, they are called 'The Source' in Canada and I think Radio Shack in the US...
    Hah! Good to know.
    03-11-12 10:56 AM
    Staples seems to have pulled them from the website altogether.
    03-11-12 11:13 AM
    Best Buys in Mesa Arizona told me the exact same line. I told the salesman he was full of sh1t. He said, I began your pardon, so I repeated it. My friends and I walked out went to my place and ordered 3 of them from Amazon.com.
    03-11-12 12:30 PM
    Best Buys in Mesa Arizona told me the exact same line. I told the salesman he was full of sh1t. He said, I began your pardon, so I repeated it. My friends and I walked out went to my place and ordered 3 of them from Amazon.com.
    Lol yep there's lots of story's about the poorly educated (on there products) best buy salesmen.. It's ridiculous imo what happened to the good old days of the pushy salesmen trying to sell you anything you showed the slightest interest in lol...I won't go into my best buy anti playbook salesmen experience as I've already mentioned it in a previous thread but it's pretty pathetic if you ask me...
    03-11-12 12:48 PM
    Lol yep there's lots of story's about the poorly educated (on there products) best buy salesmen.. It's ridiculous imo what happened to the good old days of the pushy salesmen trying to sell you anything you showed the slightest interest in lol...I won't go into my best buy anti playbook salesmen experience as I've already mentioned it in a previous thread but it's pretty pathetic if you ask me...
    I don't understand the problem. They're saying that they're waiting for the new PB.

What's wrong with saying that?
    03-11-12 12:52 PM
    It was an error but now everything is back to normal order
    Which part?
    03-11-12 01:15 PM
    I ordered my PB on RadioShack for $199.99, checked back and all units are out of stock, as well as Office Depot and Best Buy selling them at $499.99 again.
    03-11-12 01:24 PM
    Seems to be a instore shortage in London UK, I travelled to a small Currys Digital in Hammersmith to pick up their Last 16gb Unit that I had reserved on Friday after playing with a OS1 Demo unit the week before in PC World. None were available in my town (Ealing) from Currys Digital and none of the PC World stores around the surrounding area and in Central London had any stock. Although it is possible to order from both stores online and Carphone Warehouse. I've not checked Carphone Warehouse for Instore stock.
    03-11-12 01:32 PM
    I posted a few weeks ago my experience during my latest trip to our local BestBuy. New displays, working demos and sales people actually pushing PBs now. Two months ago no stock, now they have 16g and 32g and I was told they were gearing up for new shipments. This was the same BB that before Christmas had sales people spouting the discontinuing crap, now they're actually praising the PB. What a 180.
    03-11-12 04:00 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD