So I was just checking my credit card statement online and noticed that Best Buy just charged my card (3/30 charge)for the entire amount for the Playbook I have on pre-order. How should we take this? Will the units be shipping early from RIM direct? Interested in hearing everyones thoughts.
    03-31-11 08:44 AM
    I've had good and bad experiences with BestBuy, I've preordered a bunch of videogames from them and most of the time I received the game 3-5 days after it was released. I have received maybe 2 titles the day they were released, it all depends on demand I think. Hope this helps
    03-31-11 08:55 AM
    My card was charged as well (or so I assume since the initial pre-auth expired within 3 days...). I ordered at around 7AM CST 64GB.
    03-31-11 09:52 AM
    Interesting, I have not been charged by Staples, but the amount is now showing unavailable, so it is coming out. I wonder if they have had too many cancellations, so they are charging early. OR the release date was one big April fools joke and it will be on our doorsteps tomorrow!!!
    Last edited by Najo; 03-31-11 at 10:43 AM.
    03-31-11 10:02 AM
    Interesting, I have not been charged by Staples, but the amount is now showing unavailable, so it is coming out. I wonder if they have had too many cancellations, so they are charging early. OR the release date was one big April fools joke and it will be on our doorsteps tomorrow!!!
    It doesn't matter when they charge your CC. If you, as a customer, are not satisfied with your PlayBook, you can always return it within 14 days. Therefore, I don't think there is any tactic that Staples can use to avoid having people cancel their orders or return their PlayBooks.

In fact, I called Staples to confirm with them, and they stated that even if you ordered your item online, you can return it at any Staples outlet, you don't have to send it back to a specified address. This makes it easier for me to return it, if I'm not happy with my purchase.
    03-31-11 11:07 AM
    I was going to ask if these were credit cards or debit cards people were using but I decided to check my account first.

SWEET!

03/29/2011 pending Staples.com $365.97

Mine is a credit card and my order was expected to ship (or I was going to receive it) on April 27th.

Staples Order page still says processing order.

Another part to this is, why shouldn't they charge your credit card? Although it is not a "Special Order" I don't see why they should be allowed to charge you a couple weeks in advance.

Home Depot wont order your items until you pay for them. Of course that is a "Special Order" but more and more retailers should follow this practice.

Of course the Playbook shouldn't fall under any "Restocking" fee guidelines but I understand some items should.
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 03-31-11 at 11:19 AM.
    03-31-11 11:09 AM
    It doesn't matter when they charge your CC. If you, as a customer, are not satisfied with your PlayBook, you can always return it within 14 days. Therefore, I don't think there is any tactic that Staples can use to avoid having people cancel their orders or return their PlayBooks.

In fact, I called Staples to confirm with them, and they stated that even if you ordered your item online, you can return it at any Staples outlet, you don't have to send it back to a specified address. This makes it easier for me to return it, if I'm not happy with my purchase.
    I would never purchase something without this being the case Bucky, I was being sarcastic, but thanks for the heads up!
    03-31-11 11:12 AM
    hopefully those are not additional pre authorizations. Sometimes it happens
    03-31-11 11:13 AM
    They "charged " your card to check if the funds were availible. My mom works in a bank and explained it. They charge it but never authenticate it, if the query makes it to the authentication point they know the money is there and let it expire in 4 days.
    03-31-11 11:15 AM
    Credit card charges can be placed on hold for as long as 30 days. Debit card charges not as long. So it's really no telling. They could put the charge on your credit card because it shipping soon or simply because they can. I've seen with debit card, they put the amount on hold and it stays there for a few days and then it comes off hold back to your account and then they actually charge your account when it's shipped.
    03-31-11 11:16 AM
    I just spoke with a live person at Staples Customer Support and they are removing the pending charges that were put on persons credit cards who have already pre-ordered. The charges will be billed when the units actually ship April 18th - April 20th.
    03-31-11 11:19 AM
    Checked my card and it showed the charges as "pending", which as I understand is just a hold on the card. Similar to the hold on a card for a deposit at a hotel.
    03-31-11 04:35 PM
    Checked my card and it showed the charges as "pending", which as I understand is just a hold on the card. Similar to the hold on a card for a deposit at a hotel.

sorry wanted to use that picture :P
    03-31-11 04:38 PM
    Mine too!
    03-31-11 05:22 PM
    I went in to Staples and Best Buy today. Out of 4 guys in computers/mobile devices, no one knew that the PB was coming in 3 flavors. Also, no one knew the actual release date, which was strange. Staples wasn't any better. The woman told me I could pre order and pick up on the 17th... the 17th? Do they read the employee handouts? They even had a large playbook display with nothing on it
    03-31-11 05:39 PM
    Just received my Playbook that I preordered from BB!!!!!........................................... .....................sorry..couldn't resist letting out some anxiety with April Fool's Day being tomorrow!

Alas......I sit and wait!
    03-31-11 06:35 PM
    Just received my Playbook that I preordered from BB!!!!!........................................... .....................sorry..couldn't resist letting out some anxiety with April Fool's Day being tomorrow!

Alas......I sit and wait!
    That was uncalled for

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-11 08:16 AM
    Do they read the employee handouts? They even had a large playbook display with nothing on it
    Can they read the employee handouts?
    04-01-11 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD