We have friends in from Italy and we walking around the city today. They have iPads. I mentioned the Playbook and the sale and advised that we stop into BB to demo it(wasn't carrying my bag today, so couldn't illustrate mine). The demo and price/display card was removed.

I asked the techy what happened to the PB display and he said BB won't carry the device any longer. I asked if he was sure, he said he wasn't and called the section mgr over who said the following. "BB Corporate has said we won't carry it any longer. We are going to wait for the new model."

Intrigued, as we moved about the city, we stopped into two more BB and though neither mgr said anything about a new model. They both said BB will no longer carry the PB. Both stores also had the in-store demo and display cards removed.

Make of it what you will.
    01-02-12 05:55 PM
    Sounds to me like the Best Buy tools are one egg short of a baker's dozen. Geeezzz, even my beloved NYC has gone straight to the chitter.
    01-02-12 05:58 PM
    Sounds to me like the Best Buy tools are one egg short of a baker's dozen. Geeezzz, even my beloved NYC has gone straight to the chitter.
    Yeah! But ya gotta love this city!! Stay safe on the Horn of Africa my friend!
    01-02-12 06:03 PM
    Yeah! But ya gotta love this city!! Stay safe on the Horn of Africa my friend!
    I'm much safer now that I am officially retired...Camp "Lemonade" was my very last flying billet, and I might still have been there had the Army not enforced their Byzantine rule that nobody flies after turning 62.
    01-02-12 06:08 PM
    Still listed at BestBuy.com, but with no availability. Clerks told me before Christmas that the Playbook was being discontinued; but, I don't think they know much more than the rest of us...
    01-02-12 06:09 PM
    Best Buy here in Toronto Canada continues to show them on its website.
    Talon88 likes this.
    01-02-12 06:17 PM
    Still listed at BestBuy.com, but with no availability. Clerks told me before Christmas that the Playbook was being discontinued; but, I don't think they know much more than the rest of us...
    I'm hoping. I have 3 of these, so I'm really hoping.
    01-02-12 06:18 PM
    Best Buy here in Toronto Canada continues to show them on its website.
    Can you actually buy one on-line though?
    01-02-12 06:27 PM
    Seems like everything possible is being done to make the PB fail. If Best Buy and Staples quit having them, who else is gonna effectively marketing them?
    Or maybe RIM is really gonna let it die...
    01-02-12 06:44 PM
    Both Staples and BestBuy carry the PB, I know because I just bought two from Staples with a BB price match. Both companies are owned by the same parent company and get the same manufacturer discounts. They are likely setting up for another 199 promo in a couple of weeks in advance of the OS2 rollout.
    01-02-12 06:59 PM
    Both Staples and BestBuy carry the PB, I know because I just bought two from Staples with a BB price match. Both companies are owned by the same parent company and get the same manufacturer discounts. They are likely setting up for another 199 promo in a couple of weeks in advance of the OS2 rollout.
    Cool. Where are you located?
    01-02-12 07:05 PM
    I'm much safer now that I am officially retired...Camp "Lemonade" was my very last flying billet, and I might still have been there had the Army not enforced their Byzantine rule that nobody flies after turning 62.
    "Lemonade" is a Naval base right? I know they have Marines t?here as well but did know Army was there. Were you a chopper pilot? My dad, rest his soul, was Army. And a Mets fan!!
    01-02-12 07:09 PM
    Best Buy PB display up and running here as of today. Removed from Staples however....just as well they did a horrible job maintaining it .. in fact nothing and wouldn't let anyone else maintain it either, I offered.
    01-02-12 07:10 PM
    "Lemonade" is a Naval base right? I know they have Marines t?here as well but did know Army was there. Were you a chopper pilot? My dad, rest his soul, was Army. And a Mets fan!!
    Yes...small squadron of Huey's, Little Birds and Chinook's in support of SpecOps. We have a number of Rangers and Green Beret's working together with SEAL's and Force Recon operators.
    01-02-12 07:14 PM
    Yes...small squadron of Huey's, Little Birds and Chinook's in support of SpecOps. We have a number of Rangers and Green Beret's working together with SEAL's and Force Recon operators.
    Well, if I had to be in a tight spot, those are the guys I'd want with me...

Hope you're enjoying the R&R...
    botts1967 likes this.
    01-02-12 07:33 PM
    A new model is probably months away, strange that they would stop carrying the current model until then (the PB was originally released in April, if I recall). Unless they release a new model along with OS2, but the device is really not outdated at this point, maybe the manager got confused and meant that Best Buy is waiting until the new OS is released.
    01-02-12 07:35 PM
    Seems like everything possible is being done to make the PB fail. If Best Buy and Staples quit having them, who else is gonna effectively marketing them?
    Or maybe RIM is really gonna let it die...
    If Best Buy stops offering the PlayBook in stores it's because it didn't sell, not because of some animus towards the PlayBook. Best Buy isn't in a position to pass up on a profitable product in order to pursue some vendetta, so if they're pulling a product from their stores it's because it doesn't sell (something that is further supported by the extreme discounting).
    soxypirate and teknishun like this.
    01-02-12 07:39 PM
    A new model is probably months away, strange that they would stop carrying the current model until then (the PB was originally released in April, if I recall). Unless they release a new model along with OS2, but the device is really not outdated at this point, maybe the manager got confused and meant that Best Buy is waiting until the new OS is released.
    It's possible. But I was really grilling the guy and he was answering in a manner that suggested he knew(or at least believed he knew) what he was talking about. Didn't hesitate or seem unsure like tech guy did.

But I like I said, I've invested in 3 of the 16gb model even if it was at the discounted price.
    01-02-12 08:05 PM
    The PlayBook is no longer available at BestBuy or Staples here in Georgia either, and only one or two accessories in the several stores I've been to. Thats not good unless RIM plans on opening stores all over the place in next couple of weeks when the official OS2 is released which I doubt....it doesn't look good ladies and gentleman
    01-02-12 08:18 PM
    I just went to Staples and Best Buy today In Los Angeles and both stores still have them up and on display. I asked about it being discontinued and the tech guy said they haven't been told anything as of yet. so... I guess we will wait and see.
    01-02-12 08:24 PM
    I just went to Staples and Best Buy today In Los Angeles and both stores still have them up and on display. I asked about it being discontinued and the tech guy said they haven't been told anything as of yet. so... I guess we will wait and see.
    Do you know if they had any for actual sale?
    01-02-12 08:26 PM
    just went to bestbuy.ca and was able to order up to 3 units at the discounted price of $249.99 for the 32 gb.
    01-02-12 08:38 PM
    just went to bestbuy.ca and was able to order up to 3 units at the discounted price of $249.99 for the 32 gb.
    Maybe it all boils down to inventory and who's got what...
    01-02-12 08:52 PM
    The Moving Wall Vietnam Memorial was just here where I live - quite a display. there was a mothballed Huey - I asked if there are any still in service but the guy didn't seem to know.

Thanks for your service and I hope the losses have healed over time.

Al - any thoughts on how they could have possibly put all those Seals in one basket that went down in Afghanistan? Seems like the first rule of warfare not to put so many highly trained servicepeople in one slow moving place. I can't fathom what they were thinking. I'm disgusted.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-02-12 at 09:34 PM.
    01-02-12 09:21 PM
    Future Shop here in Canada have lots. Best Buy up here have none. Two flyers arrived in today's paper... Future Shop advertised the 32G for $ 249.00... Best Buy didn't advertise any and appear not to be stocking any. I've recently been in Future Shop and they were stocking all three models.

Both Future Shop & Best Buy are owned by the same outfit. Both employ undertrained staff.

Make of that what you will.
    01-02-12 09:59 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD