I went into 2 Best Buys yesterday looking for an icon case. I don't think so ever, but I asked 2 consecutive salesman and one told me the playbook was discontinued, and you don't want to know what I told him, The next store was even more bizzare they had two 32 gig PB returned as open boxes for $524 each, no comment, The one salesman who helped me startedwith the death of the PB routine and when I said well it was at the hit at the CES show. He said yea I heard, so I told him just wait there maybe a new sheriff in town. I told him briefly about 2.0, He humbled up and said I always loved BB. These guys are dead in the water they are preoccupied with everything but RIM and PB. Got get the word out.
    Last edited by Betmen; 01-19-12 at 12:37 PM.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-19-12 12:12 PM
    If we have to 'educate' one BestBuy person at a time, we'll do it
    01-19-12 12:30 PM
    OP: this is an old story. "Sales people" in most stores are ill-educated.
    Moral: don't make a significant purchase at stores where these type of people work, unless you do your own research
    vespajet and cafemag like this.
    01-19-12 12:32 PM
    I live on the other side of town in St. Clair Shores and Best Buy salesmen are definitely not the most knowledgeable about products. I think they work on commission which would explain why they have no interest in the Playbook and are always pushing warranties on everything.

I rarely shop Best Buy. They have pulled the old bait and switch on me a few time in the past. I also bought a refurbished Asus netbook only to find out it was missing features of other Asus netbooks. Apparently Best Buy wanted a cheaper netbook to sell and they arranged with Asus to sell a bargain model. But the packaging was the same as all other ones until you tried to register it and found out the model number is different.

I would be leery of buying anything from Best Buy. Sorry for the off-topic rant.
    01-19-12 12:32 PM
    I don't stress about whether a Best Buy sales associate thinks the PB will be discontinued or not. I leave those worries to the marketing department at RIM.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-19-12 02:46 PM
    OP: this is an old story. "Sales people" in most stores are ill-educated.
    Moral: don't make a significant purchase at stores where these type of people work, unless you do your own research
    QFT....

I bought my PlayBook back in late June at my local Best Buy and surprisingly had a sales person that was actually knowledgeable about all of the tablets in the department. He didn't try to hard sell me on the iPad 2 either (Although the iPad 2 was being considered.). I had done my research before buying (I had gone to another Best Buy location near one of my accounts that particular day to buy one, but they were out of stock on the PlayBook [This particular store is in area of Atlanta in which there are a lot of office buildings including some corporate HQs, so there's likely a strong market for BlackBerry products in that area.]. Went to one that was along the way back to the office, but could not get anyone in that department to even help me.) so it was in some ways a test and he passed. The only issue I had at that Best Buy was the so-called Geek Squad employees were not up to the task of installing the screen protector I had bought, saying they weren't very good at installing them. I ended up getting a refund on that installation and attempted (and failed) to put it on myself.

If you get the right employee at Best Buy, it can be a good thing. Unfortunately, it appears that the "right" employees at Best Buy seem to not stick around.....
    01-19-12 03:37 PM
    Most 99% of Best Buy employees that you run into will be the dumbest people you ever met! We have 5 Best Buys with in a hours drive of where I live and not a one of the sales people have a clue!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-19-12 08:57 PM
    You know what would be nice? If Best Buy actually read the reviews of the PlayBook posted by hundreds of users on their own web site. They are very, very positive. Raves, as a matter of fact, many of them referencing the Best Buy employees' lack of understanding and appreciation of the device. They talk about what we love about it: the fluidity, the rapid multi-tasking capability, the beautiful screen, and so on. Many of them talk about using the other brands that Best Buy pushes more aggressively and how much better they found the PB to be. Hey, Best Buy: how about listening?
    01-19-12 11:02 PM
    dont even bother these bestbuy salesmans are temps and wont last long... its a revolving door with these sales ppl u'll never have enough time to eduated all the dumb ones. save ur breathe make lots of money buy rim / or bribe rupert murdock and spread the news from top down not from bottom up
    01-19-12 11:27 PM
    on the note of playbooks and being discontinued, the 32gig went on sale today for 279 instead of 299 at work (bestbuy in toronto) and....for the past 2 weeks we haven't had any 64gig playbooks even on order to our distribution center from RIM, which is a little strange - dont you think? there is an abundant supply of 16s and, somewhat for 32s but no 64s in sight.
    01-19-12 11:46 PM
    Many of them talk about using the other brands that Best Buy pushes more aggressively and how much better they found the PB to be. Hey, Best Buy: how about listening?
    Of course they found the PB better; if they'd found the "other brands" to be better they would've purchased those devices. This reminds me of those auto insurance commercials:"customers save X dollars when switching to Allstate." Of course they do! Had the insurance been more expensive, they would've have switched.

As an aside, if you look carefully at bestbuy.com you'll notice that the poorest-rated iPad on the site scores higher at 4.3 than the best-rated PlayBook at 4.2. So, you might want to reconsider sending BB to its site reviews; it's a bit problematic.
    01-19-12 11:55 PM
    FWIW, the Best Buy stores in the Phoenix area have all been restocked with 16 GB and/or 32 GB Playbooks. Quite frankly though, the sales staff don't seem to be pushing any tablets, other than iPads and the Kindle Fire. Virtually none of the displays are well kept and you can barely get attention. For all the talk about the Playbook being a sales disappointment last year, that seems to overlook the fact market analysts have been just as critical (or even more so) of the Android options. Personally, I think RIM has a better shot at getting a foothold than much of the competition. I also think history will show that Microsoft was smart to stay out of the fray last year, in favor of getting a solid Windows 8 product out for businesses and consumers in a (somewhat) improving economy.
    01-20-12 12:44 AM
    Of course they found the PB better; if they'd found the "other brands" to be better they would've purchased those devices. This reminds me of those auto insurance commercials:"customers save X dollars when switching to Allstate." Of course they do! Had the insurance been more expensive, they would've have switched.

As an aside, if you look carefully at bestbuy.com you'll notice that the poorest-rated iPad on the site scores higher at 4.3 than the best-rated PlayBook at 4.2. So, you might want to reconsider sending BB to its site reviews; it's a bit problematic.
    Helloooo. My point was that they had purchased those other devices, but they posted that they found the PlayBook to be preferable.

But, thanks so much for the belittling comment. I love being compared to an auto insurance commercial.
    Last edited by barskin; 01-20-12 at 08:13 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-20-12 08:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD