I will agree and disagree with this. I used to be in retail sales. It was for specialty fitness equipment so it was a niche market.
    That is the difference. You were specialized in a product line.
    If I went to your store I would expect you to be familiar with fitness equipment.
    Big Box store sales people will be selling TVs one day and refrigerators the next. They don't know much about the products they sell and no one should expect them to.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    12-26-12 11:31 AM
    When I had decided I wanted a PB I went to Best Buy to make the purchase. I was approached by two best buy employees with apple logos on their shirts who BEGGED me not buy a PB, but instead an Ipad (which was priced lower at the time). Lets just say that was the day they lost me as a customer.
    12-26-12 11:39 AM
    if you want to access your bank it isn't going to happen, want to watch some TV Shows or Movies, it is very difficult to do. Where as with android or iOS all you have to do is download an app and you can access your cable company or satellite company's content for FREE.
    WOW you are sooo ignorant Scale Master. "Ignorant" as in "lacking knowldge".

My PB can access online banking and tv shows... without needing to download apps.

The browser allows me access to my bank and it is the full website, not an abridged mobile version.

For tv shows and movies, the PB browser can access Citytv.ca, Globaltv.com as well as Bell and Rogers tv, both of which I have accounts with so the online access is free.

None of this is at all difficult.
    spike12, heppyX and CerveloJohn like this.
    12-26-12 11:39 AM
    Future Shop, Best Buy and other's will not even look at you after 30 days if you try to return something with out a service package, even though it has a 1 year or longer manufactures warranty, you have to contact the manufacture. That's really standing up for the product you sell. This is were the small local shop usually really shine, they still go out of there way to give great customer service.
    I used to run a computer shop, back when you could make money selling computers.
    You are correct. We did go out of our way to replace products under warranty.
    We used to build custom computers. The overall computer had a 1 year warranty but some components would have 3 or 5 year warranties. Specifically video cards and hard drives.
    I made it clear and put it in writing what parts had longer warranties but I also made sure they understood this did not cover the labor to change the part.

I don't expect any Big Box store to operate this way.

That does bring up another point that people should check when buying anything. Find out who does the warranty work on the product. For larger items you want a warranty depot within driving distance.
    12-26-12 11:41 AM
    Well this thread escalated quickly.....
    12-26-12 11:49 AM
    ... if you want to access your bank it isn't going to happen.
    I've been using my PB for online banking since it came out in April, 2011. So it is quite rich to read comments like this one from Scaly Mister. Especially after recently seeing ads on tv here for the first banking app for the ipad by CIBC, a Canadian bank. So the ipad owners with the superior tablet have to download an app that has just a few weeks ago become available so they can do something that the inferior PlayBook could do a year and a half ago?!!!

What a crazy mixed up world.
    12-26-12 11:53 AM
    Okay,first off it's not the Best buy sales person job to sell what they want for comm or otherwise. Have you people ever heard of "repeat customers"? You know, the ones who will make or break your business? You sell them what will work best for them. For those who said that my brother should have known what he wanted- He knew when he went in what be wanted and she discouraged and steered away. Well I guess we know why certain types will always have to work at a best buy. About the Samsung being a better product I don't think so, not for the money. Oh and this salesperson is the same one knows their products so well that she sold my brother a I pad case for a playbook Knowing it was supposed to be for a playbook not an intended pad.
    12-26-12 12:02 PM
    As much as I am not too excited about Best Buy and Futureshop (who are also owned by Best Buy... talk about Monopoly), I wouldn't blame them for the situation.

In fact, I tend to buy from Staples or Wal-mart which also have plenty of Playbook items.

BOTTOM LINE:

Most of the staff at these stores know very little about tech period, or if they DO KNOW something, they definitely do not know what tech *you* require for your needs, and don't need or have the time to learn from you or bother to educate people.

They are just there to sell you the most popular stuff to cover their minimum-wage earning @$$ and get you out of the store with something you are least likely to complain about. They want you to be happy!

Sure, you may have paid more because you bought something over and beyond what you need, but that is BETTER to them than having under-estimated your needs to save you money (which the customer maybe never mentioned?) and having you complain.

CASE POINT:

Somebody who knows nothing about tablets and has all their friends on iPad and Androids, walks into Bestbuy and wants tablet to do everything... Comes home with Android or iPad, maybe pays more for stuff they will never use or do with device, but one day their friend says "hey install app xyz so we can play/chat/video"... Meanwhile if they got a Playbook and didn't do their research before, they would get upset at Bestbuy.

So if you do your research and want a Playbook (by the way, I have 3 of them in my home and also 1 at my parents) then you walk into store and say "I WANT A PLAYBOOK", and don't listen to anyone there.

For my family needs, the Playbooks met them beautifully and at an affordable level. With my parents using for videochat with us and the kids, we do everything we want. I made sure they went to the store and specifically bought a Playbook.

-----
    If possible, return the Samsung and get the Playbook, but the kid will probably not care much as long as he gets a tablet. Honestly, the Android tab will probably help him "fit in" more especially if he is a bit of a quiet guy at school already... Not sure what tabs his friends have, but they may mock and ridicule him for being the only one with a Playbook. Depends on his surroundings.

But if you say all his family and friends have Playbooks then it should be no problem.

I am happy to say that after EXTENSIVE demonstrations of my Playbook over the past year to several work colleagues, they finally couldn't resist picking up a Playbook during the Black Friday sale and I know for sure 2 of them got Playbooks (one for the kids, the other for herself... and she was waiting for the iPad mini).

The price was just too good at $118 for the 32gb. For her needs, the Playbook was more than enough so she didn't want to dish out $349 (almost 3 times the price) for the mini with Half the memory 16gb just to have a few Apple-only apps.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    brianatbb likes this.
    12-26-12 12:04 PM
    Dang that's hilarious and messed up. Kind of shows us what the average American is purchasing and why.
    12-26-12 12:08 PM
    Same thing happened to a friend of mine she played with my playbook and thought it would be perfect for her boyfriend. She went to saples and the sales guys told her that the playbook was out of date and once bb10 comes out it would no longer be supported so he convinced her to get a samsung as its up to date and has a lot more apps...
    12-26-12 12:47 PM
    funny, my experience in sales is in the exact same field. i sold fitness equipment for about 2 years and people were generally as you described them. granted, i have moved on to selling high end german cars so my clients are more informed here, but it's pretty much the same. the ones who are informed, you can quailfy to see if they are legit, the other ones you either educate or if all else fails, let em have what they want, it's their money.

i dont like big box stores because they drive down quality of service and customer satisfaction. makes it worth while paying a little extra for top notch service from specialized shops. you think the stockboy at canadian tire can tell you why the treadmill with the biggest motor isnt necessarily the best one for your needs? good luck.
    12-26-12 12:51 PM
    That is the difference. You were specialized in a product line.
    If I went to your store I would expect you to be familiar with fitness equipment.
    Big Box store sales people will be selling TVs one day and refrigerators the next. They don't know much about the products they sell and no one should expect them to.
    Yes, you're right about me needing the product knowledge. I do, however, know of people that work, or have worked, in the Future Shop/Leons/Best Buy stores and the likes. Maybe it was just the management in these stores, but the sales staff were only to sell in the area in which they were educated. If you don't know **** about appliances, then either learn or you don't get put in that department to sell.
    Last edited by cjcampbell; 12-26-12 at 01:46 PM.
    12-26-12 12:55 PM
    funny, my experience in sales is in the exact same field. i sold fitness equipment for about 2 years and people were generally as you described them. granted, i have moved on to selling high end german cars so my clients are more informed here, but it's pretty much the same. the ones who are informed, you can quailfy to see if they are legit, the other ones you either educate or if all else fails, let em have what they want, it's their money.

i dont like big box stores because they drive down quality of service and customer satisfaction. makes it worth while paying a little extra for top notch service from specialized shops. you think the stockboy at canadian tire can tell you why the treadmill with the biggest motor isnt necessarily the best one for your needs? good luck.
    Well ya, spending 10's of thousands and higher, tends to bring in customers that are a little more educated.... of course not as a rule, but definitely more than a few hundred to a few thousand.

Trying to explain the "sale" prices at Canadian Tire and the likes was a daily grind it seemed. It's amazing how perceived value vs real value are miles apart for a lot of people. And yes, those stores are the worst for educated staff.
    12-26-12 01:04 PM
    Best Buy Sux!!!! I am sorry to hear that OP family were taken advantage of by the dizzy best buy chick. They will be out of business soon Thank God.
    12-26-12 01:19 PM
    Okay,first off it's not the Best buy sales person job to sell what they want for comm or otherwise. Have you people ever heard of "repeat customers"? You know, the ones who will make or break your business?
    Best Buy / Futureshop have very little interest in cultivating repeat business. They have a monopoly in a lot of geographic areas so wrongly assume people will return no matter how many times they are disappointed. For example, your brother doesn't feel he was treated wrongly so he will shop there again.
    Entering this type of store with the belief that the sales staff is looking out for you and not themselves is going to lead to disappointment. Their job is to sell products. Their goal is to earn as much money as possible while doing their job. These are sales people not consultants.
    This should not come as a surprise but judging from the amount of threads on the subject it still does surprise some people.
    12-26-12 01:22 PM
    Okay so got my playbook a month or so ago. When I told my brother about it and the great prices it convinced him to get two for his kids for Christmas. A couple weeks back I brought it to my niece so birthday party. My other brothers son, same age approx of my other nephews asked if he could use mine/play with it for a while...and this kid is so quiet he rarely asks for anything. He already knew how to use it so he must have used someone else's before. Like I said this kid is so quiet never asks for anything so I figured he must like it. When I was leaving I asked if he likes it and he says yes. So I ask his father if he had a Christmas gift for the kid yet cause of how much he liked using my playbook. I even told him that our other nephews (they are cousins and he is very close with them ) are getting them and with the playbooks they can all keep in touch easy with the video chat . Okay he says ill check with the wife. Fast forward to today family Christmas dinner and I see the little guy actually did get a tablet! Awesome! I go up and take a look and it's not a playbook but a Samsung something. My brother tells me he went for the playbook but the girl told him this one is better etc. Now my brother is not at all tech savvy and doesn't really know the difference but at least the chick could have asked why it was that he wanted the playbook and he may have mentioned the other cousins have them and the communication would have come up, but no. I think he even paid more for a 16g but she snowed him on something about a credit to buy books for the differences in price. To add insult he bought me a stand/holder for my playbook and he said "the person at Best Buy said it's for Ipad mini. But should work for Playbook, " Well it f+@$n doesn't lady!r
    End of vent.
    I hear you bro. Just spent an hour in line at best buy. They told me in the line that they had stock, no problem. Finally get up there. No stock. I,m so pod I. I will not ever again buy from them and in the future will only buy my tech online. Too tired to rant any more.
    12-26-12 02:32 PM
    I've been using my PB for online banking since it came out in April, 2011. So it is quite rich to read comments like this one from Scaly Mister. Especially after recently seeing ads on tv here for the first banking app for the ipad by CIBC, a Canadian bank. So the ipad owners with the superior tablet have to download an app that has just a few weeks ago become available so they can do something that the inferior PlayBook could do a year and a half ago?!!!

Fight FUD with FUD.

12-26-12 02:51 PM
    A bit of reality here when it comes to retail. Companies want to make maximum profits, consumer want the cheapest price. Guess who is in the middle? The employees. I know, many of you could not careless and tell them to find another job. Guest what? The corporate offices think the same too. They have no investment in this people, all they need is a body to move the merchandise and ring in the sales. Employees can be replace easily. It's minimum wage, and the turn over is high. Who care John Doe and Jane Doe are knowledgable and experience in what department, it does not help the sales. Why do you think all these big box store are taking over? Because everyone want a cheap product. It's no coincidence those Dollarama are popping up all over North America. 95% of retails are own by big corporations, you want cheap products they want cheap labours, somethings got to give. Why would store like Future Shop and BestBuy or Walmart want to spend the money and time to train their employees? An independent store can't afford to provide door crasher items on Boxing day. This is the state of retail we are in today. Consider yourself fortunate to get great services regardless where you shop. I do realize there are some exception, essentially you get what you pay for.
    Angus_CB and CairnsRock like this.
    12-26-12 03:36 PM
    WOW you are sooo ignorant Scale Master. "Ignorant" as in "lacking knowldge".

My PB can access online banking and tv shows... without needing to download apps.

The browser allows me access to my bank and it is the full website, not an abridged mobile version.
    Yes you can access the normal web content with the playbook, but many large US banks are now providing specialized apps the features functions that even websites don't offer. Want to deposit a check? Just take a picture with your mobile devices using the Banks App and poof it has been deposited. And you forget that many people using Apps are using them on a phone with a much smaller screen so in some cases a mobile version of a site or an app designed for a small screen works much better than a full blow site.

For tv shows and movies, the PB browser can access Citytv.ca, Globaltv.com as well as Bell and Rogers tv, both of which I have accounts with so the online access is free.

None of this is at all difficult.
    You are very fortunate. But Comcast a fairly large cable company in the US does not allow access to their content without a specialized browser viewer, and I currently have Direct TV another pretty large company that does not allow their content on devices that aren't running a specialized app. A person that is already a customer to either of these large companies, would rather have a device that can access that content, instead of paying for another service. Is there some content out there that you can find for free and that will work with the PlayBook, sure but not the Premium Channels like HBO or Showtime which today have better scripted TV than the Networks (maybe your cable company does allow it, but I'm saying the majority do not).

What I'm saying is if future devices (BB10) have the same limitations as current devices, the majority of consumers are not going to be happy with those devices. Unhappy people don't tend to recommend their devices to others, if fact they do the opposite. Sales people are in-tune with this, and thus once a product gets a bad reputation they don't like selling it.
    Mr.Willie and brianatbb like this.
    12-26-12 04:13 PM
    FYI its called sales under pressure, in the law you have 30 days to return your product with full refund.
    12-26-12 04:34 PM
    They do receive sales commission in Canada.
    No. Best Buy does not get any sort of commission in any department. I know this because I've been working there for a year now. Its futureshop that recieves commission not us.

And Im sorry to hear that OP. That associate would've got the sh*ts from her manager if you spoke to him/her. We are not allowed to push a product to a customer over what they want simply because we like it better. Next time complain to that associate's manager and I promise they won't do that again.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    12-26-12 07:15 PM
    Fight FUD with FUD.

I would fight fear, uncertainty & doubt with courage, useful information & clarity.
    12-26-12 07:19 PM
    No. Best Buy does not get any sort of commission in any department. I know this because I've been working there for a year now. Its futureshop that recieves commission not us.

And Im sorry to hear that OP. That associate would've got the sh*ts from her manager if you spoke to him/her. We are not allowed to push a product to a customer over what they want simply because we like it better. Next time complain to that associate's manager and I promise they won't do that again.
    If they're the same then why would the commissions be different?
    12-26-12 08:00 PM
    I would print out this "Vent" and give it to your brother to bring to the store and return the Samsung something and anything else to that sales lady. When she why I would hand
    her the "Vent" and wait for her to give me what I asked for in the first place.
    12-26-12 08:04 PM
    Isn't it kinda his fault that he didn't read up a bit okay what he was buying or be firm about what he wanted? I mean, to be pushed into buying something, he's not exactly under 18 and vulnerable..
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-26-12 08:29 PM
103 1234 ...