The original idea was that he was going to use the Playbook Video Chat to communicate with his cousins.
    So, since his cousins have Playbooks without Skype I don't know how much of a social experience Skype will be for him.
    Finally some one who has comprehension skills. So many other posters are talking jibberish. It was ME who did the research! The research was done. The info was passed on to my brother because he had no idea what to get for his son who has almost every thing and asks for nothing even when you ask him what he wants/needs.
    Last edited by GV2012; 12-29-12 at 08:20 PM.
    12-29-12 06:51 PM

They are just there to sell you the most popular stuff to cover their minimum-wage earning @$$ and get you out of the store with something you are least likely to complain about. They want you to be happy!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    Well don't you have the superior "I'm better than them" attitude.

Charming.

REDRUM. REDRUM. REDSGS3.
    12-29-12 08:39 PM
    Finally some one who has comprehension skills. So many other posters are talking jibberish. It was ME who did the research! The research was done. The info was passed on to my brother because he had no idea what to get for his son who has almost every thing and asks for nothing even when you ask him what he wants/needs.
    Eh, No Biggie. Lots a rumors of Skype coming aboard on BB10. So hopefully it'll find it's way onto the PB.

I know you're upset with Best Buy, heck I can't stand them, I run through the store trying to dodge people in Blue shirts because they are so annoying. However, if the kid got a Samsung Galaxy Tab, they are fairly good IMO. The Best Buy person could of convinced your brother into a much worse tablet. Also, a lot of Best Buy's don't even have Playbooks in stock, that could of played a role as well. My 3 local Best Buy's which are fairly large don't have Playbooks.
    12-29-12 08:44 PM
    Is there an emoticon for stamping your feet?
    12-29-12 08:50 PM
    You passed the info to your brother and he bought something else and apparently he is keeping it.
    Don't worry about it. He's a big boy and it's his money. Don't blame the store.
    The ability to have his son chat with his cousins obviously isn't the main reason he bought the tablet.
    12-29-12 10:21 PM
    Personally, I for one don't mind shopping at Best Buy or Future Shop granted I've done my home work on the product i'm looking to purchase. You can only rely on representatives from both establishment's to push what they know more about or make more money on. I've had many situations at both Best Buy and Future Shop were representatives either know their stuff, or no nothing at all. So the only way to avoid the ageny of a bad experience, is to do your research before deciding to purchase. That way, a person would really have to be knowledgeable in all products in order to persuade your choice to another product.

Just my 2 cents!
    taliskerlogan and GV2012 like this.
    12-30-12 12:23 AM
    I know your pain; Staples is currently having a promotional event on Playbook/Blackberry accessories. Having received a Playbook (32 Gb) for Christmas from my sweetie, and being thrilled with it, I thought I'd take advantage of the sales available at Staples. I'm specifically trying to obtain the 6' micro HDMI cable, made by Blackberry, which is currently on sale for $4.97 at Staples, IF they can actually find the thing in their stores. So far, I've tried 3 stores; the one in the city where I live, and two in a nearby city that I know I'll be travelling to within the next 3 weeks. I had excellent service at the first two stores; the staff know that the item is in their inventory, but they just can't find them. So we pre-paid for three of them at our home store, then called the two stores in the nearby city. At the first store, no problem, the staff member on the phone said he was showing 2 in the inventory, and he'd go take a look for me to see if he could find it. Unfortunately, he couldn't find it 'on the floor' but said that if he did locate it somewhere in the store, he would phone me and set those two aside for me. GREAT. Then I figured, why not try phoning the second store in that city; you never know, after all, they might have it right to hand. Well, that's when the grief started. First I got put on hold and cut off. I phone back. I got connected, finally, to their 'tech' guy, who immediately tries to convince me that I should not even TRY to get that specific accessory since it is a seldom-sought-for accessory, and seldom-sold (hmmmppphh! no wonder, with idiots like him actively trying to steer customers AWAY from proprietary accessories). Therefore, even though his inventory showed two of the cables being in stock in their store, it would take a minimum of an hour's search to find it, and so, according to him, I was best off going the 'generic' cable route. Then he had the utter GALL to inform me, completely erroneously, that Blackberry 'has announced it will be ditching the Playbook' (his words) soon anyway, so why bother looking for Blackberry accessories when I could get the generic, which would work just as well (which is an outright bit of misinformation since the 'fit' of the pins on generic items is not guaranteed to fit properly). So, I asked him, when he said the Playbook would be no longer, "so, when was that announcement made, and by the way, are you a member of the Blackberry corporate team, to know that?". To which he answered, of course, "No.". He also could not say when the announcement had been made (maybe because NO such announcement has been made?). He then informed me that he was an "avid, avid, avid user of technology and I spend at least 8 hours on the internet every day". WOW. He doesn't get out much, does he? I informed him that his statement that the Playbook would be ditched was inaccurate, and that I am a regular viewer of Crackberry (he did not seem to know what Crackberry was.....hmmmmm), so I was in a position to know if such an announcement had been made. He then once again tried to steer me away from the Blackberry accessory and towards the generic. So, I asked him, "How much is the generic cable?". Of course, you know the answer.............wait for it.......$39.95. Yeah, right. AS IF. Why pay that for the generic, which likely won't fit properly, when I can get the genuine article for $4.97? I don't know about the other women out there in the world who are in the position of buying technology, but I can say for myself that I am royally sick and tired of being treated like an utter moron when trying to obtain something in the technological field, especially given that I don't go shopping for something until I DO know what I'm talking about.....my advice is, don't shop at the Staples on Notre Dame in Sudbury; it is apparently staffed by inconsiderate jerks who think they know better than their customers what their customers should want or buy.
    12-30-12 11:54 AM
    Paragraphs man, paragraphs.
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    12-30-12 02:06 PM
    If you want micro HDMi just buy them off eBay. I bought a bunch from a local wholesaler out of Markham, shipped to my house for $5.

The name is "yellowknifecable" and the cables are good quality!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    12-30-12 02:14 PM
    I second that.
    I bought an HDMI cable for my dad's PlayBook last year as part of his birthday present. I paid something like $4 for it from yelloknifecable which was listing it on Amazon. It worked perfectly.
    12-30-12 05:53 PM
    Paragraphs are when you breath in
    12-30-12 06:03 PM
    +1 lol
    12-30-12 08:49 PM
    I know your pain; Staples is currently having a promotional event on Playbook/Blackberry accessories. Having received a Playbook (32 Gb) for Christmas from my sweetie, and being thrilled with it, I thought I'd take advantage of the sales available at Staples. I'm specifically trying to obtain the 6' micro HDMI cable, made by Blackberry, which is currently on sale for $4.97 at Staples, IF they can actually find the thing in their stores. So far, I've tried 3 stores; the one in the city where I live, and two in a nearby city that I know I'll be travelling to within the next 3 weeks. I had excellent service at the first two stores; the staff know that the item is in their inventory, but they just can't find them. So we pre-paid for three of them at our home store, then called the two stores in the nearby city. At the first store, no problem, the staff member on the phone said he was showing 2 in the inventory, and he'd go take a look for me to see if he could find it. Unfortunately, he couldn't find it 'on the floor' but said that if he did locate it somewhere in the store, he would phone me and set those two aside for me. GREAT. Then I figured, why not try phoning the second store in that city; you never know, after all, they might have it right to hand. Well, that's when the grief started. First I got put on hold and cut off. I phone back. I got connected, finally, to their 'tech' guy, who immediately tries to convince me that I should not even TRY to get that specific accessory since it is a seldom-sought-for accessory, and seldom-sold (hmmmppphh! no wonder, with idiots like him actively trying to steer customers AWAY from proprietary accessories). Therefore, even though his inventory showed two of the cables being in stock in their store, it would take a minimum of an hour's search to find it, and so, according to him, I was best off going the 'generic' cable route. Then he had the utter GALL to inform me, completely erroneously, that Blackberry 'has announced it will be ditching the Playbook' (his words) soon anyway, so why bother looking for Blackberry accessories when I could get the generic, which would work just as well (which is an outright bit of misinformation since the 'fit' of the pins on generic items is not guaranteed to fit properly). So, I asked him, when he said the Playbook would be no longer, "so, when was that announcement made, and by the way, are you a member of the Blackberry corporate team, to know that?". To which he answered, of course, "No.". He also could not say when the announcement had been made (maybe because NO such announcement has been made?). He then informed me that he was an "avid, avid, avid user of technology and I spend at least 8 hours on the internet every day". WOW. He doesn't get out much, does he? I informed him that his statement that the Playbook would be ditched was inaccurate, and that I am a regular viewer of Crackberry (he did not seem to know what Crackberry was.....hmmmmm), so I was in a position to know if such an announcement had been made. He then once again tried to steer me away from the Blackberry accessory and towards the generic. So, I asked him, "How much is the generic cable?". Of course, you know the answer.............wait for it.......$39.95. Yeah, right. AS IF. Why pay that for the generic, which likely won't fit properly, when I can get the genuine article for $4.97? I don't know about the other women out there in the world who are in the position of buying technology, but I can say for myself that I am royally sick and tired of being treated like an utter moron when trying to obtain something in the technological field, especially given that I don't go shopping for something until I DO know what I'm talking about.....my advice is, don't shop at the Staples on Notre Dame in Sudbury; it is apparently staffed by inconsiderate jerks who think they know better than their customers what their customers should want or buy.
    Try being a woman working in the industry. I love when a man walks in, ignores me, makes a beeline for one of the guys for tech help with their smartphone, and my male coworkers immediately pass them to me because I know more about the inner workings of the OS's than all of them combined.

Men really hate getting tech help from a woman. I enjoy every moment of their displeasure and discomfort.

REDRUM. REDRUM. REDSGS3.
    gtnick44 likes this.
    12-30-12 09:41 PM
    Have you vented to Best Buy yet? That might even make you feel better and get that female devil fired. Also help assure full employment at the Best Buy complaint department.
    You want her fired because she dared suggest another tablet other than the Playbook. Talk about petty and sexist.
    12-30-12 10:32 PM
    GoogleBoi: Only kidding kid. I like the opposite sex.
    12-30-12 11:51 PM
    Men really hate getting tech help from a woman. I enjoy every moment of their displeasure and discomfort.
    That's a bit too general. I don't care what gender you are as long as you know what you are doing.
    12-31-12 06:26 AM
    That's a bit too general. I don't care what gender you are as long as you know what you are doing.
    True - as a techie for over 20 years, I get a little irritated by other techies who have an overinflated perspective of their abilities.
    12-31-12 06:35 AM
    Pull up a chair in my store. For every 10 customers who come in, it happens 8 times.
    And that's not including when I answer the phone and get asked if a man is there.

REDRUM. REDRUM. REDSGS3.
    12-31-12 09:08 AM
    Pull up a chair in my store. For every 10 customers who come in, it happens 8 times.
    And that's not including when I answer the phone and get asked if a man is there.

REDRUM. REDRUM. REDSGS3.

The same thing happens in Anne Summers stores. Woman are less likely to approach a man even though they clearly now more about batteries
    12-31-12 10:10 AM
    Are you sure it's your gender that has customers going to other employees?
    01-01-13 02:28 PM
    Ooof. A body blow
    01-01-13 03:11 PM
    Not the opposite sexes but rather the opposing sexes.
    01-01-13 04:16 PM
    Are you sure it's your gender that has customers going to other employees?
    Considering it happens with my other female coworkers, yes. I will ignore the smart *** tone.

All I want for Christmas, New Years and my birthday is hockey back, or Bettmans head on a platter. Whichever's easier...
    01-01-13 06:51 PM
    I don't understand why people shop where the employee's are paid slave wages and then turn around and moan about customer service. WTH is wrong with using the internet for purchases? Screvv Best Buy.

As for who helps me when I do enter any store, its the person who doesn't assume anything about me, doesn't lie to me, and is willing to seek an answer to a question instead of BS'ing when they don't know something. If its a woman, that's cool with me, I rather a female than some pimple faced geek or hair gel mofo who thinks his BS works on everyone.

14 years in sales taught me how to figure people out in seconds. Been my experience that men will lie to you much quicker than the ladies will.

No its not a blanket statement, I personally let a lot of sales slide because I couldn't put my people in a ditch.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 01-01-13 at 07:15 PM.
    01-01-13 07:05 PM
    Considering it happens with my other female coworkers, yes. I will ignore the smart *** tone.
    Don't ignore it. It was just a joke. Hence the
    01-01-13 08:43 PM
103 ... 2345