If the blackpad is as secure as BBs and comes with BES services with competitive pricing, I'm sure businesses and hospitals alike will love it. The mediocre reputation that RIM has with their App store sure won't bother them. Learn from MS, those guys know how to milk the corporate world. I mean, a business that switches from Windows to another OS is even news worthy is some cases.
    08-30-10 11:23 PM
    A business centric tablet would be almost a guaranteed failure. Many corporations cut back on spending, which eliminated companies buying BB and lead to workers bringing in other platforms like the iPhone. I can't see these same companies going out to buy 400-500 dollar tablets plus the additional CAL licenses. For that price you can get an iPad and lock it down in a similar fashion.

Also in regards to apps, if these big companies do decide to adopt it then they will have to write their own software with RIMs legendary awful tools. Unless QNX has some different tools it uses this would definitely hurt any possible corporation backing as well as mainstream developer and consumer backing.

RIM would have to do a lot to make up some lost ground in enterprise to Apple who is enjoying tremendous success with early enterprise adapters.
    08-31-10 05:12 PM
    I disagree to a point, I think SOMEONE could make a Business centric tablet a success

the RIM tablet could replace the Notebook in a NON Mac Friendly corporate world, the fact that iTunes is required to do any syncing with Mac Products is a negative for Big business as it is truly bloatware IF RIM made the product for Business, and made it well, and the make it well is the Big IF because I do believe they lack the vision to pull it of, they could make something truly fantastic when integrated with BES, and being able to Sync with LotusBloats and Exchange. Apps, blah 99% of what the business would be using SHOULD be integrated onto the device, my business notebook doesn't have any Apps so to speak, Windows defaults + Office + Adobe, that is what the majority of corporate "America" uses when mobile for work.
    08-31-10 05:37 PM
    If the blackpad is as secure as BBs and comes with BES services with competitive pricing, I'm sure businesses and hospitals alike will love it. The mediocre reputation that RIM has with their App store sure won't bother them. Learn from MS, those guys know how to milk the corporate world. I mean, a business that switches from Windows to another OS is even news worthy is some cases.
    Hospitals will not go for this. Hospital IT departments go for the cheapest, simplest option available.
    08-31-10 06:10 PM
    Hospitals will not go for this. Hospital IT departments go for the cheapest, simplest option available.
    The How was Meditech the best selling Hospital software? it is bloated, expensive and not user friendly, all it had going for it was a fast uptime, and linkage to all sorts of specialized machines,

IF RIM build a BES for Medical applications then they would have a chance, creating a encrypted communications portal for Medical data would be a selling feature, but they would need to build a server to store the data in a secured manner that even IT couldn't dump as decrypted data.
    08-31-10 07:35 PM
    But- the tablet is only WiFi. So how does BES play into this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-10 08:26 PM
    But- the tablet is only WiFi. So how does BES play into this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I am receiving my BES emails on my 9300 this week ONLY via Wifi as I am in a Zero service zone for Bell Canada HSPA all week so it must be doable.

though since the device isn't out yet, it could get a network link as well
    08-31-10 08:38 PM
    What, exactly, is the use of a tablet with no apps? In what possible way will this thing ever hold a candle to the iPad? You can BBM on it? Wicked cool. That oughta sell 10 of them.
    09-05-10 10:00 PM
    I am receiving my BES emails on my 9300 this week ONLY via Wifi as I am in a Zero service zone for Bell Canada HSPA all week so it must be doable.

though since the device isn't out yet, it could get a network link as well
    the problem with this is that BES only allows 1 PIN per user...so the blackpad will need a BB to get email..unless they redesign BES to allow multiple PIN's per user, or the tablet doesnt use BES at all (i highly doubt this)...
    09-08-10 09:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD