I will try and shorten my lengthy conversation with Bell regarding bridging (and tethering)

Here goes ....

I have 4 year old contract with Bell for unlimited internet on my Bold. I purchased a Playbook so I could bridge and take advantage of the feature.

Before testing I entered into to separate chats to confirm the unlimited on my account. I was told in both conversations bridging and even tethering was included in the contract.

So, to test it, I watched 20 minutes of TV on the playbook in bridge mode.

The bill came. I got charged data.

One 90 minute call with five different reps revealed my account is a "legacy" and the software does not know how to handle tethering/bridging and everything is billed as data charged.

The Bell rep claimed that I could upgrade at no charge to 8 gig a month.

I am hesitant as Bell reps give conflicting comments.
    02-10-12 12:40 AM
    Here is what I do with bell.

Ask for the reps name and ID number. Ask to speak to a manager, ask for their name and ID number.
    Call back the next day to confirm the change/fix has been made get the reps name and ID number, ask to speak to a manager to re-confirm and get their name and ID number

If anything goes wrong you have 4 names and ID numbers... so FOUR people cannot all be wrong, especially when TWO CONFIRMED that the first two were right.

Also, as soon as something goes wrong ask to speak to Customer Retention and explain the situation... tell them to fix the problem RIGHT NOW and make sure it NEVER happens again (get name and ID number). If something goes wrong again you can call CR and complain... they will usually be the ones to fix the problems.

YOUR PLAN
    If you have unlimited now then they should 'grandfather' you in. you should still be able to have unlimited. If the best they can do is 8GB ask to talk to Customer Retention and see if they can at least make that 16GB... i dont think you would go over that. Although this may seem good enough, i would not stop fighting until i get the unlimited data.

Something else you may be willing to try, but will be a hassle, is to stay with your current plan and ask for a monthly credit in the same amount as these so called 'data' charges on your unlimited plan.

Here is what i did with Bell for my FIBE internet.

I was paying $37 a month for 125GB and realized that they recently changed the FIBE 25 deal to 100GB $27. I called Customer Retention and said that because I only had the service for a month when this change was made I want that price and that I wanted to add 80GB of extra Bandwidth per month for $10 (40GB @ $5 x 2)... this brought my total to 180GB for the EXACT same price. The CR rep told me that because I went through so much trouble she would give me the 80GB for the price of 40GB. So i am now paying $32 for 180GB (which is around $0.18 per GB as apposed to the $0.30 i was paying before)!
    02-10-12 01:07 AM
    I had to change plans when I made a switch from a cdma phone to the HSPA network for the same reasons you were given. They wouldn't grandfather me into an unlimited plan. I'm on a 6gig data plan that includes tethering. I highly doubt you can get an unlimited data plan, but you can give it a try. There are so many free wifi spots nowadays the unlimited data for me is a non issue.
    02-10-12 01:26 AM
    wait. How could they tell you were bridged? A BIG reason bridge was created was so you could use your phone's data without the carrier knowing. That's why AT&T blocked it untill they could release their own copy that would allow them to track it's use.
    02-10-12 02:29 AM
    My impression was that Bell could not tell when bridge versus tethering is used.
    02-10-12 02:59 AM
    My impression was that Bell could not tell when bridge versus tethering is used.
    Oh so they were only after you for tethering...sorry I thought you said you watched the shows bridged
    02-10-12 04:39 AM
    I'm on a grandfathered unlimited data plan with Bell at the moment too. I just checked my last two bills (since I've had my PB) and not once have I been charged for data. The one thing I did when I found out mobile hotspotting was becoming available for my phone by way of 7.1 was call Bell to verify that tethering was included with my plan.

What they told me is that, while I had unlimited data and my plan was well over the 50/month requirement, tethering was not included in my bundle.

That's probably where the issue lies. I'd verify that tethering is included with your plan and go from there. Any bridged data usage might as well be coming directly off your phone so you shouldn't be charged a penny for it. Tethering, on the other hand, probably incurs a fee that you weren't aware of.
    02-10-12 08:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD