As Fearless Leader said:

We will continue to be in the tablet market. Making money with a tablet is difficult. We will provide BlackBerry 10 software updates for all of the PlayBooks that are out there. So, the wi-fi and the 4G versions, they will all be upgraded to BlackBerry 10.

Read more: Thorsten Heins Confirms All PlayBooks Will Get BlackBerry 10 Update — NerdBerry
    Follow us: @NerdBerry on Twitter | NerdBerry on Facebook

of course the longer the wait before RIM releases BBY10 for the playbook......the less playbooks that will be around...which brings me back to a past post of mine.... If BBY release BB10 for the playbook....and there are no playbooks to receive the update.......then did they release the update?
    05-03-13 01:47 PM
    As Fearless Leader said:

We will continue to be in the tablet market. Making money with a tablet is difficult. We will provide BlackBerry 10 software updates for all of the PlayBooks that are out there. So, the wi-fi and the 4G versions, they will all be upgraded to BlackBerry 10.

Read more: Thorsten Heins Confirms All PlayBooks Will Get BlackBerry 10 Update — NerdBerry
    Follow us: @NerdBerry on Twitter | NerdBerry on Facebook

of course the longer the wait before RIM releases BBY10 for the playbook......the less playbooks that will be around...which brings me back to a past post of mine.... If BBY release BB10 for the playbook....and there are no playbooks to receive the update.......then did they release the update?
    I think there's more chance of hearing a tree fall in an EMPTY forest.
    sad_old_man and JeepBB like this.
    05-03-13 03:38 PM
    I think there's more chance of hearing a tree fall in an EMPTY forest.
    You really think there is a chance BB10 won't be on the PB at some point?
    I say there is a 100% chance BB10 in some form will be there unless the company goes under or is broken up for sale.
    I would be happy with a better browser and maybe some of the apps written for BB10. Oh and the stripped bridge features returned.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-03-13 04:31 PM
    Has there been any official commitment from Blackberry to get BB10 on PB?
    Yes.

No timeline either.
    A vague timeline
    05-03-13 04:34 PM
    Sure. Companies change their minds all the time. HP with the Touchpad is one of the best examples of that. That said, I think there's a GOOD chance we'll see it on the PlayBook, but that it's likely going to be done for a successor device (if they've figured out how to make money) that just happens to also work on the two older models.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-03-13 04:36 PM
    You can guarantee that BlackBerry 10 will come to playbook or they aren't listening to their customers which Thor says they are. My bet is its coming and blackberry live might shed some light on when that is.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 04:38 PM
    I say there is a 100% chance BB10 in some form will be there unless the company goes under or is broken up for sale.
    I would be happy with a better browser and maybe some of the apps written for BB10. Oh and the stripped bridge features returned.
    No, I believe (is like Peter Pan and Tinkerbell?) it will come but as he suggested, I'm not sure how many people will be there or care at that point. And, yes, if he/they strip or leave Bridge stripped from it, I'm not sure how much I'll care.
    sad_old_man and JeepBB like this.
    05-03-13 05:54 PM
    No, I believe (is like Peter Pan and Tinkerbell?) it will come but as he suggested, I'm not sure how many people will be there or care at that point. And, yes, if he/they strip or leave Bridge stripped from it, I'm not sure how much I'll care.
    Actually i already don't care
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-03-13 09:28 PM
    I wouldn't bet against it, but I don't know if I believe "100%", either. Remember that BB has had to backtrack completely on two significant things: the BBOS Java runtime for QNX (if they'd been able to make that one work the last two years would have been VERY different) and the Theme Studio for OS7, which later mysteriously leaked with no clear explanation why it got canceled.

I'm pretty sure BB10 will come to the PlayBook, and as I say I'm impressed that they're even putting in the effort considering they likely don't even have any more PlayBooks to sell, but I'm not so naive to think it couldn't be canceled.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-04-13 12:26 AM
    You can guarantee that BlackBerry 10 will come to playbook or they aren't listening to their customers which Thor says they are. My bet is its coming and blackberry live might shed some light on when that is.

Posted via CB10
    The only thing that has ever been as consistent as the Greenwich clock is that RIM never have and show no signs in the near future of starting to listen to their customer base. That is why they are in the position they are in (look at their Q1 figures). But it's always good to believe in something, just not anything that Thor says?
    05-04-13 06:26 AM
    We like to think that only BB doesn't listen to us but you'll see the same complaint about any company.
    For example; I have a 3rd generation Apple iPod Touch. In the last iteration of iOS for that device they broke the Sound Check (audio leveling) option. Apple's solution? The 4th generation iPod Touch.
    At least BB is pretending to listen.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-04-13 07:50 AM
    We like to think that only BB doesn't listen to us but you'll see the same complaint about any company.
    For example; I have a 3rd generation Apple iPod Touch. In the last iteration of iOS for that device they broke the Sound Check (audio leveling) option. Apple's solution? The 4th generation iPod Touch.
    At least BB is pretending to listen.
    I have several BMWs and I cannot find fault at all with their customer service to the point where sometimes they go a bit OTT. Their products to be honest are nothing special compared to some of their competitors but I don't care. All manufacturing systems contain one weak element, a human being. The only difference with companies is that when a problem occurs which inevitably it will given the weak link involvement in the process, the good companies deal with it immediately. The bad companies either bury their head in the sand or make the customer go out of their way to get the problem rectified to the point that customers stop complaining directly to them. I'll leave you to decide which one rim are?
    05-04-13 08:04 AM
    The only difference with companies is that when a problem occurs which inevitably it will given the weak link involvement in the process, the good companies deal with it immediately. The bad companies either bury their head in the sand or make the customer go out of their way to get the problem rectified to the point that customers stop complaining directly to them. I'll leave you to decide which one rim are?
    When I had to call customer service for a PB issue they couldn't have been more helpful. From time of call to fixed PB in my hand was 4 business days. RIM also offered to fix a second PB that was out of warranty.
    The PB is a loser for them and I think it speaks volumes that they are willing to keep customers happy.

I would guess the delay of BB10 on PB has more to do with keeping the company afloat then lack of interest or stupidity.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-04-13 08:50 AM
    Sure. Companies change their minds all the time. HP with the Touchpad is one of the best examples of that. That said, I think there's a GOOD chance we'll see it on the PlayBook, but that it's likely going to be done for a successor device (if they've figured out how to make money) that just happens to also work on the two older models.
    Yes, I agree with all of that.

Given I've personally never believed that we'll see a full version of BB10 on the PB - I won't rehash my reasons as I've posted them previously - I was a little surprised by that BB statement that gives them until the end of the year to fulfil that firm promise. The cynic in me thought that BB were simply kicking the problem into the long-grass and buying time... but I was still surprised they set a firm deadline (now only half a year away).

So I agree with you that BB10 arriving on the PB will likely (though IMO, only) happen as a trickle-down effect of a new BB10 tablet being released.

And if there's no new tablet, I reckon they'll be some weasel-words nearer the end of this year to justify abandoning that "BB10-on-PB" commitment... probably involving "so few active PBs now out there", "PB already being supported beyond any typical industry EOL", "limited BB resources needing to be spent elsewhere", "PB hardware not being up to it", etc, etc.

That "no BB10-on-PB" statement will be much better written than my attempt of course. It'll be a triumph of style over substance, much as the "we've taken away most of the features of Bridge that made it great" statement was made to sound like we were entering a brave new world full of unicorns and rainbows, coz the weasels that'll write it are pros!

When/If Weasel-Day arrives, I wonder if BB will take a leaf from HP's book and release whatever version of PB BB10 they've managed to get working as a Beta (unsupported and loaded at own risk) and thereby both placate those who want BB10 and as a way of (sort of) claiming they've fulfilled their commitment.

I guess time will tell...
    05-04-13 09:23 AM
    Yes, I agree with all of that.

Given I've personally never believed that we'll see a full version of BB10 on the PB - I won't rehash my reasons as I've posted them previously - I was a little surprised by that BB statement that gives them until the end of the year to fulfil that firm promise. The cynic in me thought that BB were simply kicking the problem into the long-grass and buying time... but I was still surprised they set a firm deadline (now only half a year away).

So I agree with you that BB10 arriving on the PB will likely (though IMO, only) happen as a trickle-down effect of a new BB10 tablet being released.

And if there's no new tablet, I reckon they'll be some weasel-words nearer the end of this year to justify abandoning that "BB10-on-PB" commitment... probably involving "so few active PBs now out there", "PB already being supported beyond any typical industry EOL", "limited BB resources needing to be spent elsewhere", "PB hardware not being up to it", etc, etc.

That "no BB10-on-PB" statement will be much better written than my attempt of course. It'll be a triumph of style over substance, much as the "we've taken away most of the features of Bridge that made it great" statement was made to sound like we were entering a brave new world full of unicorns and rainbows, coz the weasels that'll write it are pros!

When/If Weasel-Day arrives, I wonder if BB will take a leaf from HP's book and release whatever version of PB BB10 they've managed to get working as a Beta (unsupported and loaded at own risk) and thereby both placate those who want BB10 and as a way of (sort of) claiming they've fulfilled their commitment.

I guess time will tell...
    I do wish you had not given them ideas I'm sure that they never in a million years (or soon or around the corner) would have conjured themselves! Damn it, Jeep!!!!

But if they do cancel, I hope that they use your wonderfully colorful manner of saying it!
    JeepBB and sad_old_man like this.
    05-04-13 10:55 AM
    I have several BMWs and I cannot find fault at all with their customer service to the point where sometimes they go a bit OTT.
    You can search the Internet you will find many BMW owners that feel just the opposite.
    That's all I was saying. We focus on our own wants when we think a company isn't listening to their customers. BB is listening to some. This is evidenced by the Q10. Many customers are loyal to BB because of the hardware keyboard.
    Like everything, only the unhappy customers make their feelings known publicly. The rest just keep buying the product.
    You and F2 are not happy with the new leaner and meaner* version of BB Bridge so you tell the world hoping BB will listen. I don't mind it so normally I'm not saying anything either positive or negative. Now, if they took away the ability to connect to the Internet through Bridge I would be as displeased as you and would probably say so.
    I also don't really care if BB10 ever comes to the Playbook. It fills my needs as it is now. When it dies I'll throw it away and buy the next device that fills my needs at the lowest price.

* BB has hired me to do PR but it's a secret.
    05-04-13 10:59 AM
    The only thing that has ever been as consistent as the Greenwich clock is that RIM never have and show no signs in the near future of starting to listen to their customer base. That is why they are in the position they are in (look at their Q1 figures). But it's always good to believe in something, just not anything that Thor says?
    Hmm you really are a sad old man lol... the Q1 figures were positive and Q2 will show signs of a major comeback.You say they don't listen to their customers? Well wtf is BB10 then? BB10 is exactly what listening to customers is and they will upgrade their Android player to 4.1and as a result it will increase performance / stability to these android apps.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 11:53 AM
    Hmm you really are a sad old man lol... the Q1 figures were positive and Q2 will show signs of a major comeback.You say they don't listen to their customers? Well wtf is BB10 then? BB10 is exactly what listening to customers is and they will upgrade their Android player to 4.1and as a result it will increase performance / stability to these android apps.
    Heh-heh... Q2 MAY show positive signs, but let's wait 'til we get those results eh? Having one futurist (Thor) is quite enough for any forum.

BB10 had to come, I agree with that part of your statement. BB was being trounced due to the reality, or (for true believers) the perception, that they were eons behind what was cool and cutting edge in the world of phones. But BB10 is a response to that competitive driver, not IMO to any customer input.

Do you have evidence that customers were asked what BB10 should look like?

If so, I would genuinely like to know the proportion of those customers that asked for a 30-day limit on email, the removal of the ability to sync Outlook over USB, the disappearance of BIS, the removal of traditional BB rich notification and alerting, the wholesale replacement of Bridging functionality by a textfile, and (in hot breaking news) the removal of most of the keyboard shortcuts on the Q10 that really aided productivity on previous BB phones... to name but a few things that seem to be troubling folk over on the BB10 forums.

As to JB4.1, yes, BB have leaked that it's coming, but there is no announced timeline, not even a "coming soon".
    FF22 likes this.
    05-04-13 02:13 PM
    If you really honestly believe that bb10 in any format you want to mention, z10, q10 or on the playbook is going to save bb then you must also believe in the tooth fairy and peter pan!

"the Q1 figures were positive and Q2 will show signs of a major comeback.You say they don't listen to their customers? Well wtf is BB10 then? BB10 is exactly what listening to customers is and they will upgrade their Android player to 4.1and as a result it will increase performance / stability to these android apps."

That just about sums up everything blackberry depend on to stay where they are? (I'll leave you to work out where they are).

1. Please don't repeat the same old crap. Try at least to be original? "you really are a sad old man", yawn. God if I was given a pound for every time I've read that from a so called intelligent forum member I'd be out buying another car right now.

2. If you think that BB's Q1 results are positive? You need to take a quick course in doing basic sums?

3. The Q2 figures will show a major comeback???????? We are talking about the same company here are we not?. The Dow Jones analysts don't seem to agree with you there but what the hell do they know eh?

4. And this my friend is your final understatement of the year that will put you down in history alongside the captain of the titanic?????

"You say they don't listen to their customers? Well wtf is BB10 then? BB10 is exactly what listening to customers is and they will upgrade their Android player to 4.1and as a result it will increase performance / stability to these android apps."

I will leave you with this thought while I make my way to the cellar. When I want to use android apps (not very often) I use my android tablet, when I want to make toast I use the grill. I don't ask my android tablet to make toast. Why has everyone got this obsession about the pb emulating an android tablet? Do any other tablets strive to emulate the pb???????? If android apps are what you want then go and buy an android device!!!!!!!!!! Don't sit there crying about the fact that your playbook is not a DROID device?
    Last edited by sad_old_man; 05-04-13 at 03:32 PM.
    05-04-13 02:16 PM
    Heh-heh... Q2 MAY show positive signs, but let's wait 'til we get those results eh? Having one futurist (Thor) is quite enough for any forum.

BB10 had to come, I agree with that part of your statement. BB was being trounced due to the reality, or (for true believers) the perception, that they were eons behind what was cool and cutting edge in the world of phones. But BB10 is a response to that competitive driver, not IMO to any customer input.

Do you have evidence that customers were asked what BB10 should look like?

If so, I would genuinely like to know the proportion of those customers that asked for a 30-day limit on email, the removal of the ability to sync Outlook over USB, the disappearance of BIS, the removal of traditional BB rich notification and alerting, the wholesale replacement of Bridging functionality by a textfile, and (in hot breaking news) the removal of most of the keyboard shortcuts on the Q10 that really aided productivity on previous BB phones... to name but a few things that seem to be troubling folk over on the BB10 forums.

As to JB4.1, yes, BB have leaked that it's coming, but there is no announced timeline, not even a "coming soon".
    I was sure that they polled customers (of some device) and found no one really used or wanted those features in a new phone. WE customers got what we asked for when we gave our input - oh, wait, that was the census survey. I thought it was from Rim. I know I said they should change their name. I thought US Goverment was pretentious.
    JeepBB and blueberrymerry like this.
    05-04-13 03:16 PM
    It's an obsession... its a solution to the, " no apps problem". and I wasn't crying about it unlike your pessimist views to everything.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 03:18 PM
    Not *

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 03:21 PM
    It's an obsession... its a solution to the, " no apps problem". and I wasn't crying about it unlike your pessimist views to everything.

Posted via CB10
    Ok because I'm stupid I am missing several points in your most important post. Could you please explain to a thick person like me:

1. "It's an obsession...", what is?
    2. "its a solution to the, " no apps problem", what is?
    3. "unlike your pessimist views to everything", do you mean pessimistic? , if so I still don't understand it?.

I'll take a bet that your a teetotal vegetarian that owns a Z10 and doesn't get out much?
    05-04-13 03:52 PM
    Not an obsession, android emulator on Bb10 especially when the updated version arrives is the answer to the "No Apps" problem. I'm omnivore nowhere near vegetarian, I do go out. Not sure about you.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 04:20 PM
    Not an obsession, android emulator on Bb10 especially when the updated version arrives is the answer to the "No Apps" problem. I'm omnivore nowhere near vegetarian, I do go out. Not sure about you.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I've just double checked and you definitely stated "It's an obsession... ", your words not mine. So now what your actually trying to say is "Not an obsession". With a change of mind as quickly as that was you definitely have to be closely related to Thor? Are you his brother?
    05-04-13 04:59 PM
124 1234 ...