i've seen the new blackberry advertising a few times now.

it's a let down.

sure, it's cool there is catchy music by some dj i've never heard of. it's great he describes using apps to communicate.

apps available on any smartphone platform.

to me the dj makes it out like you can only twitter from a blackerry phone. anyone that has even glanced at a phone knows this to be untrue.

where was the focus on what blackberry does that makes it unique? where was the spotlight on the playbook and blackberry bridge?

if this is the way the ad campaign is going to go, it's a waste of $100 million and truly proves the executive is out of touch with reality.
    01-01-12 04:28 PM
    Link please?
    01-01-12 04:37 PM
    100 millions ad . DONT THINK SO
    01-01-12 04:48 PM
    Link please?

I saw that ad last night during the new year rocking eve "brought to you by Blackberry"
    I didn't think it was so bad.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-01-12 04:51 PM
    Just because you don't know Diplo, the DJ, doesn't mean it won't connect with people. I am not into that music but am part of the younger generation so I know him because thats what the girls listen to when they want to dance. BBs are sold to youth to stay connected, BBM, more than mom and pop joe. BBM is only great when you have a ton of contacts with it as well. In any case, I see this as good in that it gets the name out, recognition rules. But bad in that it doesn't "wow" us. What I wished it did instead was show that Person X is so busy that a BB is the most efficient way to do all those things they do. Thats the one feature that makes a BB for me, it is so easy to jump back and forth between apps, type out a msg etc all while listening to tunes and browsing.
    01-01-12 05:06 PM
    As they say in Hollywood, "I don't care what you write about me, just spell my name right."

The fact that we're talking about BB on here is enough evidence that the purpose of the ad pulled through.
    Chaddface, recompile and robkd like this.
    01-01-12 05:09 PM
    I actually agree that the add doesn't differentiate the bb from most any smartphone and didn't even mention the first bold to have a touch screen. I thought all the money (however much it was) that went into the add and all theTimes Square visibility could have been better spent.
    01-01-12 05:32 PM
    The fact that we're talking about BB on here is enough evidence that the purpose of the ad pulled through.
    not really. we're already bb users. we don't need to be convinced. i don't go to an apple forum to see what they have going on. i could care less what kool aid flavour is being poured today.

the ad, other than having catchy music, doesn't compel someone to rush out and look at a blackberry device, let alone buy one. there is no hook and reel 'em in factor.

ipad ad - shows unique apps like an astronomy guide, or facetime.
    bb ad - shows a dj in a booth at a concert.

which is more compelling and interesting? an ad about what you can do with the product! i see the ipad ad and actually say i wish the playbook had that app.

furthermore, there are dj apps for the ipad/ipod/iphone/ibook. a friend uses all idevices as a dj to play music and control cd decks. it would be a bit more realistic if the dj was talking blackberry while using blackberry devices to do his set.

it's the first ad. i hope there are better ones coming for that $100 million.
    01-01-12 05:34 PM
    to me the dj makes it out like you can only twitter from a blackerry phone. anyone that has even glanced at a phone knows this to be untrue.
    How is this any different than the "if you don't have an iPhone" tautology commercials Apple ran a few months ago? Those were far more deceptive than the ad from RIM, which I don't think left the same "you can only do [x] with [brand]" impression as the Apple spots. To me, it came off more like "Blackberry does these things better than everyone else".

where was the focus on what blackberry does that makes it unique? where was the spotlight on the playbook and blackberry bridge?
    That would be nice, but how do you show the awesome advantages of bridge to the average user in a 30 second commercial?

I do think that (at least) one of the Bold commercials from last night ( ) did a great job of showing average users the advantages of the 9900's unique form factor.

Of course, just putting the Blackberry brand in the spotlight last light was surely a good decision. The "Be Bold in 2012" theme was great -- it let people know that not only is Blackberry still around, they're on the leading edge. In a sea of indistinguishable slab phones, Blackberry smart phones (boldly) stand out.

Will you be Bold in 2012?
    01-01-12 05:35 PM
    I actually agree that the add doesn't differentiate the bb from most any smartphone and didn't even mention the first bold to have a touch screen. I thought all the money (however much it was) that went into the add and all theTimes Square visibility could have been better spent.
    I don't think the DJ add is new. I saw it some months ago. Maybe when the OS7 phones were being released.
    A national broadcast in Times Square seems like money well spent to me. Having the Blackberry name above that gaga's head doesn't seem like a bad idea IMO.
    01-01-12 05:38 PM
    100 millions ad . DONT THINK SO
    $100 million ad campaign. as in print, tv, radio, online, with carriers.

$100 million for one ad? not even the super bowl costs that much.
    01-01-12 05:38 PM
    not really. we're already bb users. we don't need to be convinced. i don't go to an apple forum to see what they have going on. i could care less what kool aid flavour is being poured today.

the ad, other than having catchy music, doesn't compel someone to rush out and look at a blackberry device, let alone buy one. there is no hook and reel 'em in factor.
    therein lies the disconnect. the ad isn't suppose to make someone rush out to the nearest store and tear down walls for a BB. the whole point is to create a buzz and get more people talking about it. it's designed to build momentum.

no one advertisement is going to make people want to rush out and buy a Bold. it's the culmination of several marketing devices in their campaign that is going to work.

furthermore, there are dj apps for the ipad/ipod/iphone/ibook. a friend uses all idevices as a dj to play music and control cd decks. it would be a bit more realistic if the dj was talking blackberry while using blackberry devices to do his set.

it's the first ad. i hope there are better ones coming for that $100 million.
    Here's a thought, why don't you come up with a better idea and make an advertisement you think will do better.

Oh wait, I forgot, most people (especially on the internet) just like to talk about how bad something is yet they never get around to actually doing anything about it. Everyone wants to complain but wants someone else to make it better for them. If you think it's so bad, then go out and do something about it. I don't see any of your bright ideas coming to fruition.

01-01-12 05:42 PM
    This ad has been around for ages, perhaps new ones which will spring forth in the coming weeks and months will address their new marketing focus and advertising strategy..?
    01-01-12 06:02 PM
    How is this any different than the "if you don't have an iPhone" tautology commercials Apple ran a few months ago? Those were far more deceptive than the ad from RIM, which I don't think left the same "you can only do [x] with [brand]" impression as the Apple spots. To me, it came off more like "Blackberry does these things better than everyone else".
    the apple ads show the device doing something, usually with an app exclusive to an idevice. not deceptive at all. just arrogant and annoying. the blackberry ad doesn't really show the phone doing anything at all. you see a flash of the screen with some notifications. then back to the concert.

That would be nice, but how do you show the awesome advantages of bridge to the average user in a 30 second commercial?
    for starters, show it exists. show a notification on the phone. show the phone being put down and the playbook picked up, with those notifications there too. show the user responding to the notifications. then show the playbook being put in a back pocket as the user walks away. it takes less than 5 seconds for that whole sequence. and it would be interesting.

Of course, just putting the Blackberry brand in the spotlight last light was surely a good decision. The "Be Bold in 2012" theme was great -- it let people know that not only is Blackberry still around, they're on the leading edge. In a sea of indistinguishable slab phones, Blackberry smart phones (boldly) stand out.

Will you be Bold in 2012?
    problem is blackberry is not leading edge. the only advantage they have left is push technology, and that showed flaws with the outage. too many phones lead to confusion. what one should i get? apple is killing the market with one phone. your choice is black or white. most of my friends, long term bb users, are moving to iphones and not looking back. even a friend that works for rim has had enough.

when os 7 phones were announced i said why buy one when qnx phones are around the corner? most people interested in blackberry say the same thing. i am not getting an os 7 phone, even if it will run qnx later. i want the hardware to go with the platform.

i won't be bold in 2012. i'll stick it out with my aging curve 9300 with an os 6 update until bb10 arrives.
    Last edited by amro; 01-01-12 at 06:11 PM.
    01-01-12 06:06 PM
    Here's a thought, why don't you come up with a better idea and make an advertisement you think will do better.
    give me the money to do it.

i've just outlined my ideas. i know enough people in film to get a production team in place. cut me a cheque, cuz no one works for free.
    ErnM and cousinjerry like this.
    01-01-12 06:10 PM
    Wow what a great start to #BeBold for RIM. Blackberry was all over Clark's New Year's Rocking Eve. If I did not know better I would have thought that BlackBerry was the main sponsor of the event... I thought they were young, fresh and relevant...
    01-01-12 06:11 PM
    The minute RIM creates an ad that everyone on CB loves we have something to worry about. I actually thought the ad was pretty good. It does not mimic the Android or iPhone and highlights the strengths of a BB in a kewl context.
    Chaddface likes this.
    01-01-12 06:17 PM
    therein lies the disconnect. the ad isn't suppose to make someone rush out to the nearest store and tear down walls for a BB. the whole point is to create a buzz and get more people talking about it. it's designed to build momentum.
    and yet an ipad ad makes me want to go buy one because i see what it can do right in the commercial.

the buzz a blackberry ad generates is minimal. they have no spark. the ads won't be water cooler topics.

if the ads did something i wouldn't have negativity towards them. and i haven't used a smartphone other than blackberry.
    Last edited by amro; 01-01-12 at 06:40 PM.
    01-01-12 06:18 PM
    i like the ad but i think i like the bike ad better it shows wikitude and i just like the visuals more in general. Theres also another ad ive seen I remember it but I think its someone viewing some sculpture on the 9900 scrolling through pictures using the touch screen.
    01-01-12 06:38 PM
    i like the ad but i think i like the bike ad better it shows wikitude and i just like the visuals more in general.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX5YsU8sir4[/YT]
    01-01-12 07:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD