Apple/iPad/Mobile AppsBBM app support coming to Wi-Fi-only iOS devices today

BBM app support coming to Wi-Fi-only iOS devices today — Tech News and Analysis

Am I reading this right? If you have an iPod Touch you can get BBM but if you have had a BLACKBERRY PlayBook (or 4 in my case) for the past 2+ years you still do not have BBM? Is there any talks about rectifying this?

Is Blackberry planning to just continue to ostracize and marginalize its most faithful followers?

I have been drinking (and serving up) the BlackBerry kool-aid now for a decade. Not sure why I remain so faithful despite the fact they constantly kick me in the, ummmm, teeth.
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    11-14-13 09:43 AM
    Yeah I saw this and I think it's a really bad move not to make it available to the PB.
    Gonna cause a firestorm for sure!
    11-14-13 09:49 AM
    Playbook. Worst $500 I've ever spent...

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 09:49 AM
    And what is the update? Not blacklisting the devices? Because I already have it installed on my iPad2 wifi only, using iPhone Configuration Utility.

But yeah, PlayBook -- well, we can now use it with Bridge from the BB10 phones. Yay! (and booh!)
    11-14-13 09:51 AM
    BBM requires Android 4.0 and the PlayBook runs 2.3.3. It's not an arbitrary restriction that they can just remove.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    11-14-13 09:53 AM
    Say what? BlackBerry Messanger NEEDS Android to work?
    BBM has been on every BlackBerry device for a decade.
    BBM has worked on the Playbook through Bridge with older devices but then we were told it could not be native because there had to be a unique Pin (and accompanying service charge) for you to use BBM. Then it switched from Pin driven to BlackBerry ID driven. But they choose to reward the deserters before the faithfuls and build new for Android and iOS before building for the PlayBook. Would it really be a build seeing that they already had the BBM interface on the PlayBook to support bridged BBM?
    11-14-13 10:03 AM
    BBM requires Android 4.0 and the PlayBook runs 2.3.3. It's not an arbitrary restriction that they can just remove.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    It's an arbitrary restriction they won't remove.
    k8bushlover likes this.
    11-14-13 10:29 AM
    11-14-13 10:50 AM
    I prefer the Bridge method anyway, why would you want a separate BBID on every device? To chat with yourself? Messages won't sync between devices, the PIN will be different etc.
    It is not meant for people with an iPhone and Android as a "second" screen, it is meant for people with only an WiFi device.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    11-14-13 10:55 AM
    Agreed!

My son and my daughter have only a Playbook.

But since I still can't bridge my Z10 to my Playbook for BBM i would like BBM on my playbook and I will just add both of my ID's to the group chats I participate in.

Jason
    11-14-13 11:26 AM
    Agreed!

But since I still can't bridge my Z10 to my Playbook for BBM i would like BBM on my playbook and I will just add both of my ID's to the group chats I participate in.

Jason
    If you still can't bridge it means, you're doing it wrong.
    11-14-13 12:16 PM
    Or you were smart enough to not buy another soon to be abandoned Rimberry product, when clearly the option for BBM is to purchase a Droid or I-diot device. Oh I almost forgot the new soon to be abandoned devices don't properly bridge to playbook.

Moving Forward >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> to another platform
    twis likes this.
    11-14-13 12:37 PM
    Nope if they have a bb10 phone. BBM doesn't bridge unless they added that lately.
    11-14-13 12:41 PM
    Nope if they have a bb10 phone. BBM doesn't bridge unless they added that lately.
    They added it a while ago.
    11-14-13 12:45 PM
    Agreed!

Jason
    Bridge on the BB10 is so poorly implemented. It does not support communication over WiFi (like it does with the legacy BB devices), and it is slow.
    11-14-13 12:46 PM
    Yeah, it pretty sad they are making it available on other tablets and not for their own tablet. I got a 64GB PlayBook I bought on launch day. What a hudge mistake that was... it sits in a corner collecting dust... hasn't been powered up for at least 8 months. Maybe I'll take a sledge hammer to it and make a YouTube video.
    11-14-13 01:08 PM
    Somewhere, someone already ported BBM to Gingerbread (2.3.4 or 2.3.6?) but reportedly had to play around with screen sizes and / or move library files around (which would require a rooted device) to get it to work on some devices.

BBM For Android 2.3.6 (GINGERBREAD)

Maybe it can be converted for PB? But I think we'd have heard of that already, and if library files would have to be moved, it would be a no-go as I understand it. I'm no developer, though.
    11-14-13 01:16 PM
    Honestly, no offense, but theres not much of a market for BB utilize their resources to create bbm app for playbook
    11-14-13 01:23 PM
    I think the bridge method is a little outdated in itself. How about syncing your BB ID on all your devices, as is the case with other IMs. I know BBM was based on the device IMEI etc for a unique pin, but it is coming out on WIFI iOS devices, I think that fundament is changing.
    11-14-13 01:30 PM
    I understand why PlayBook owners are annoyed (I own two of them so I'm already there) but put yourself in BlackBerry's shoes for a second... should they put a lot of development effort into a tablet that flopped and sold maybe 3M devices (BB said 2.5M by last June) or focus on Android devices (425M of them out there so far) and iOS (more than 600M sold to date). Yes, I get that they pissed off their most loyal customers but frankly we are irrelavent in the scheme of things for BBM. They are up against WhatsApp (450M users), WeChat (250M users), Tango (150M users), Kik (50M users).... and they should worry about the maybe 3M PlayBook users (that haven't put their PlayBooks in a drawer)? Give your heads a shake. That's the kind of thinking that got them into this problem in the first place.
    johnnyuk and Ealaionta like this.
    11-14-13 01:31 PM
    I echo this.

Plus, they have less resources with the headcount cut. They need to refocus on things that matter.
    I understand why PlayBook owners are annoyed (I own two of them so I'm already there) but put yourself in BlackBerry's shoes for a second... should they put a lot of development effort into a tablet that flopped and sold maybe 3M devices (BB said 2.5M by last June) or focus on Android devices (425M of them out there so far) and iOS (more than 600M sold to date). Yes, I get that they pissed off their most loyal customers but frankly we are irrelavent in the scheme of things for BBM. They are up against WhatsApp (450M users), WeChat (250M users), Tango (150M users), Kik (50M users).... and they should worry about the maybe 3M PlayBook users (that haven't put their PlayBooks in a drawer)? Give your heads a shake. That's the kind of thinking that got them into this problem in the first place.
    11-14-13 01:38 PM
    I can agree with all of that. What I don't agree with is the suggestion that it takes immense development effort, resources or dollars to update the forking runtme on the playbook to at the very least be able to run android apps from two years ago.

Clearly they are better at coding for Droid and IOS than they are for their own PB software given how monumental of a task and how many kazilliions of dollars it would cost.

Either the PB is EOL and they should unlock the bootloader or they should at least let someone spend their lunchbreak updating the runtime and the bridge for their new state of the art devices.

Me, I have no faith in them at all seeing how any droid product I could buy today sure sounds like it will have all the Rimberry software I could ever use in the course of the next year.
    11-14-13 01:41 PM
    You make some great points. BlackBerry needs to get their head out of the sand and focus on the big picture.

I have no programming skills so I am speaking without authority here, but...
    They wrote the PlayBook software.
    They have surely done a chunk of the work necessary to put BBM on the Playbook through the bridge.
    Does the SIM card Playbook have BBM? If it does that is another indicator the work is significantly done.
    They have built BBM for Android and I can sideload many many many Android apps onto my Playbook
    Are you really telling me there is a huge investment in time, money, effort to get BBM onto the Playbook?

Weigh this cost against the message sent to the BB Loyalists. The BB Ambassadors who take every opportunity to defend and promote BlackBerry.

Minimalizing your core customers is a strategy that does not pay off in the long run.
    11-14-13 01:49 PM
    Obviously BlackBerry don't care about customer loyalty. Why else would they tell 3 million of them to go pound sand.
    11-14-13 03:35 PM
    Playbook. Worst $500 I've ever spent...
    Playbook. Best $248 I've ever spent...
    twis likes this.
    11-14-13 03:45 PM
35 12