Yeh obviously... I'm saying if the person has a BB fone and a data plan they could offer data to be used on the PB aswell through wifi which means that your phone and PB will be Linked to the same contract and data plan
    but why? again you want to assign a data plan to a device that not only doesn't need it, can't make use of it. especially a contract! a carrier doesn't offer wifi. that's your isp. they'd be doing the routing between your playbook and bis. that's plain old internet routing.

if rim is to offer bbm native on the playbook they have to allow routing right to their servers and allow the blackberry pin to be registered, paid or free.

if i wanted a data plan for a playbook i'd have held off for the rumoured 4g version. then there'd be no issues. the playbook would just be a phone with no voice plan, although i am sure someone would figure out voice on it. bb pin would register thru the carrier's bis like a phone, like they do now.

even if you could put a playbook on the same data plan as a bb phone, how do you register the two blackberry pins with one account? how do you get the phone bbm contact list to appear on the playbook? right now you can't.
    12-31-11 08:37 PM
    but why? again you want to assign a data plan to a device that not only doesn't need it, can't make use of it. especially a contract! a carrier doesn't offer wifi. that's your isp. they'd be doing the routing between your playbook and bis. that's plain old internet routing.

if rim is to offer bbm native on the playbook they have to allow routing right to their servers and allow the blackberry pin to be registered, paid or free.

if i wanted a data plan for a playbook i'd have held off for the rumoured 4g version. then there'd be no issues. the playbook would just be a phone with no voice plan, although i am sure someone would figure out voice on it. bb pin would register thru the carrier's bis like a phone, like they do now.

even if you could put a playbook on the same data plan as a bb phone, how do you register the two blackberry pins with one account? how do you get the phone bbm contact list to appear on the playbook? right now you can't.

Oh ... But isn't there a way to connect to the bis network via wifi... So what I was saying is that when the playbook connect to the bis network through wifi (if that can be done)...then the data it uses is the same as the phone data... Isn't this how the phone connects to bis when you put on wifi... I might be totally wrong just thought that's how it works
    12-31-11 09:11 PM
    no. it's not how it works at all.

data plan does not equal wifi.

you can access bis from wifi. does not go thru your data plan. right now bis is thru the carriers, so your bb pin has to be registered thru a carrier. the carrier prefers you use your high priced data plan with your phone. they make you pay for it. since a playbook can't even access a data plan directly a carrier need not be involved.

a simplified way how pb bbm would work (this assumes you don't want to tie in with a phone bbm):

pb bbm is routed to a domain, say pb.bbm.blackberry.com. either by hard coding it in the program or with a service book. that domain is dedicated to a bis server(s) for bbm available to playbooks. it's internet facing. pb bbm messages go there from the internet and are routed internally on rim's infrastructure. the messages then get sent out on either a carrier's bis or bes, or sent back to a playbook on the pb bis.

this is why a playbook's pin would need to be registered directly with rim, not a carrier. great for someone with just a pb and no bb phone. those with a pb and a phone have two pins. how do you send messages from and get messages to each one, making both devices appear as one? bis/bes doesn't currently allow for it, as there was never a need for it.
    azrin640 likes this.
    12-31-11 09:40 PM
    no. it's not how it works at all.

data plan does not equal wifi.

you can access bis from wifi. does not go thru your data plan. right now bis is thru the carriers, so your bb pin has to be registered thru a carrier. the carrier prefers you use your high priced data plan with your phone. they make you pay for it. since a playbook can't even access a data plan directly a carrier need not be involved.

a simplified way how pb bbm would work (this assumes you don't want to tie in with a phone bbm):

pb bbm is routed to a domain, say pb.bbm.blackberry.com. either by hard coding it in the program or with a service book. that domain is dedicated to a bis server(s) for bbm available to playbooks. it's internet facing. pb bbm messages go there from the internet and are routed internally on rim's infrastructure. the messages then get sent out on either a carrier's bis or bes, or sent back to a playbook on the pb bis.

this is why a playbook's pin would need to be registered directly with rim, not a carrier. great for someone with just a pb and no bb phone. those with a pb and a phone have two pins. how do you send messages from and get messages to each one, making both devices appear as one? bis/bes doesn't currently allow for it, as there was never a need for it.

Lol my bad
    12-31-11 09:44 PM
    Great idea. I do notice my BIS can be connected via wifi when I turn off my radio (no carrier involved)

Having native bbm on a pb is a + for those without bb phone. It might even be a selling point.
    12-31-11 10:03 PM
    Or else it can be done via browser where you login for bbm on the net.
    12-31-11 10:05 PM
    Great idea. I do notice my BIS can be connected via wifi when I turn off my radio (no carrier involved

Yeh that's what I was tryna get at.. Apparently doesn't work like that
    gladiatorofyale likes this.
    12-31-11 10:32 PM
    Yeh that's what I was tryna get at.. Apparently doesn't work like that
    it can. you just confuse data and wifi. and i can't explain it any simpler.

it seriously isn't that hard of a concept to grasp.
    12-31-11 10:49 PM
    it can. you just confuse data and wifi. and i can't explain it any simpler.

it seriously isn't that hard of a concept to grasp.

No I understand what your saying... I no wifi and data isn't the same ... I just based my answer on that when I turned of my Radio BB services still worked...
    12-31-11 11:17 PM
    it's weird cause I just got a playbook (my first blackberry ever) and when I was in the store looking at the demo unit there was something on the list of apps that had the blackberry logo and was called BBM. obviously i've heard of bbm before and thought this was just an expected app but when i got home i didn't have it on mine. Wonder what it was?!
    01-01-12 07:31 AM
    it's weird cause I just got a playbook (my first blackberry ever) and when I was in the store looking at the demo unit there was something on the list of apps that had the blackberry logo and was called BBM. obviously i've heard of bbm before and thought this was just an expected app but when i got home i didn't have it on mine. Wonder what it was?!
    it's possible you saw bbm in the blackberry bridge apps tab
    01-01-12 02:43 PM
    if you can use bbm on a phone over a wifi connection, there is a way to do it on a playbook.

turn on wifi on your phone. set your mobile preferences to wifi preferred (or even better, turn the wireless radio off leaving wifi on). connect to your wireless router. you'll see the wireless icon and a small blackberry symbol beside it. all your bis apps should work. they did for me. was away for a weekend with no data plan and used news, facebook, and bbm over wifi with no issues.
    ur phone needs a sim card for ur bbm to work on wifi. even if ur phones conection is off. ur facebook app works without a sim .
    mariobastros likes this.
    01-01-12 05:24 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD