Hi all

I've just bought my first Playbook and have the BB Bold 9790 currently. Am I right in thinking that you have to sync the 2 together to use BBM on the Playbook? I was thinking of (dare I say it) switching to another Android phone but I use the BBM to message my sister who lives in the US.

Your help and guidance would be greatly appreciated
    08-24-12 03:11 AM
    U must keep the bold 9790 if u wan use the bbm on ur playbook..
    jaytays likes this.
    08-24-12 04:13 AM
    You have to use Blackberry Bridge (download it from your phone's Appworld) to bridge your Playbook with your 9790 in order to use bbm on your tablet... At least for now. Things may change when BB10 comes out
    Last edited by Vanderchoac; 08-24-12 at 06:37 AM.
    08-24-12 06:32 AM
    Will BBM be going native on the PlayBook that you don't have to use a Blackberry phone to bridge from?

I've just bought a Blackberry 9320 for that purpose. I do use it as a standalone phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    08-24-12 06:47 AM
    Things will probably never change to allow people free access to bbm by purchasing a $150 wifi PlayBook. Give up folks, I've been saying it since before the PlayBook came out and I am more sure of it now than ever.

RIM is well aware of how many people would drop their BlackBerry phone the second they get true wifi only bbm. I am one of them lol.

I've seen native bbm work on the 4G PlayBook without BIS or BES. My Dev Alpha used to have bbm working without BIS or BES. You couldn't access it or use it, but it was on the DA because you were able to get bbm notifications. Now my DA don't even do that anymore with the latest OS update.

Either way, its possible for them to give us actual wifi only bbm. They just aren't going to do it. That is probably why the 4G PlayBook launched without it. My guess is the 4G PlayBook wont get bbm until they have figured out how to lock it down to a subscription like it is on our phones.
    Last edited by berryboba; 08-24-12 at 07:03 AM.
    08-24-12 06:58 AM
    Either way, its possible for them to give us actual wifi only bbm. They just aren't going to do it. That is probably why the 4G PlayBook launched without it. My guess is the 4G PlayBook wont get bbm until they have figured out how to lock it down to a subscription like it is on our phones.
    Unfortunately, there are some people around here who are under the delusion that BBM is free.
    I would assume they can charge people to use wifi BBM and license it by BBID or something. Say $5/month.
    08-24-12 04:11 PM
    Things will probably never change to allow people free access to bbm by purchasing a $150 wifi PlayBook. Give up folks, I've been saying it since before the PlayBook came out and I am more sure of it now than ever.

RIM is well aware of how many people would drop their BlackBerry phone the second they get true wifi only bbm. I am one of them lol.

I've seen native bbm work on the 4G PlayBook without BIS or BES. My Dev Alpha used to have bbm working without BIS or BES. You couldn't access it or use it, but it was on the DA because you were able to get bbm notifications. Now my DA don't even do that anymore with the latest OS update.

If only half of you guys would pay attention to all the info we have available on the blogs and podcasts.

The reason we don't have BBM on the PlayBook is bacause BIS/BES is hardcoded in a way that they couldn't get the new OS to playball. You can have plenty devices under a single BBID, but only one PIN assigned to a BIS/BES account.

And that's why it's been taking so long to release BBM on the PlayBook (and probably what's keeping them from releasing BB10).

In fact, we still want to know what will happen to BIS as we know it, for QNX does not need to hooked to the NOC to work.
    08-24-12 05:16 PM
    Unfortunately, there are some people around here who are under the delusion that BBM is free.
    I would assume they can charge people to use wifi BBM and license it by BBID or something. Say $5/month.
    Um... Bbm is free......
    08-24-12 06:47 PM
    It doesn't "have" to be hooked up but for essential services like App World to work it is connected to the NOC via WiFi for the original PlayBook.
    08-24-12 07:18 PM
    It doesn't "have" to be hooked up but for essential services like App World to work it is connected to the NOC via WiFi for the original PlayBook.
    Are you sure App World is NOC related? I ask this as an honest question for I personally don't know (yet, I don't think it is).

CB Bla1ze has been around the PB boards lately, maybe he can shed some light into this for us.
    08-24-12 07:42 PM
    If only half of you guys would pay attention to all the info we have available on the blogs and podcasts.

The reason we don't have BBM on the PlayBook is bacause BIS/BES is hardcoded in a way that they couldn't get the new OS to playball. You can have plenty devices under a single BBID, but only one PIN assigned to a BIS/BES account.

And that's why it's been taking so long to release BBM on the PlayBook (and probably what's keeping them from releasing BB10).

In fact, we still want to know what will happen to BIS as we know it, for QNX does not need to hooked to the NOC to work.
    That's all fine and dandy, but what does it have to do with anything? Lol you said the reason we don't have BBM on the PlayBook is issues with BIS/BES being hardcoded blah blah blah. But did you miss the part about Dev Alpha owners saying BBM works on their Dev Alpha with no BIS or BES connection? So how do you explain that? Why is it Dev Alpha owners can add their Dev Alpha pin to their Bold's BBM contact list and the second the invite is sent the Dev Alpha displays the invite notification? It even shows the invite senders name. How is that possible if what you say is correct?

Is it because BBM can work without BIS or BES or is it because the Dev Alpha magically has BIS or BES now? Either way, the Dev Alpha being able to do that proves you are wrong.

The main reason the PlayBook don't have BBM yet is RIM hasn't came up with a way to earn revenue from it yet. The WiFi only PlayBook will never have BBM, because RIM will never just give BBM away.
    08-26-12 11:37 AM
    Um... Bbm is free......
    Take a deactivated BlackBerry brand new or used, connect it to WiFi and BBM don't work. RIM actually has to register your pin for it to use BBM. Once you cancel your service, they kick your pin off and you go back to not having BBM. RIM may or may not charge specifically for BBM, but the fact is you can't use it without paying someone some money.

For example, you can take a deactivated Android device with no monthly fee to a wireless carrier and everything on it works. It is even possible to make Voice calls and send SMS messages. And of course all of the instant messaging apps work. A deactivated BlackBerry is missing the best parts about owning a BlackBerry smartphone.
    Last edited by berryboba; 08-26-12 at 12:08 PM.
    08-26-12 12:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD