I tried searching this but couldn't find anything.

I was wondering how RIM is going to handle BBM on the Playbook 2.0 if you already have a PIN from a BlackBerry phone?

Are the PINs for the Playbook and the Blackberry going to be amalgamated in some way?

Or do we still not know how this is going to be handled?

Thank you
    01-13-12 12:20 PM
    Native BBM will not be available in the initial release of OS2. I'm not sure anyone knows how, or if, they will handle it.
    01-13-12 12:39 PM
    Native BBM will not be available in the initial release of OS2. I'm not sure anyone knows how, or if, they will handle it.
    Ok thanks. Should be interesting to see how they will end up handling it. I can see them amalgamating both PINs someway.
    01-13-12 12:43 PM
    That is my understanding as well! I saw a video of an interview with a RIM executive at CES and BBM was never mentioned or shown in the demo.

And I understand BBM is not included in the initial release of OS 2.0 because of the unique PIN issue.

I don't own a BB cellphone so it is no big deal for me! I have other ways of staying in touch with my friends and family. Perhaps when BB10 finally is released it will be included.

If I were RIM and my customer base was very concerned about security, the less said about how I did something the better. You don't want to help hackers exploit your product.
    01-13-12 12:51 PM
    maybe it could be a rim app.. for those that dont have bb they can download it in the app store.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-13-12 12:59 PM
    native BBM on the PB might not happen for quite awhile. I am going to guess once they get OS 2 out on the PB they will really focus on the new phones.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-13-12 01:02 PM
    native BBM on the PB might not happen for quite awhile. I am going to guess once they get OS 2 out on the PB they will really focus on the new phones.
    I can see that happening as well. And like the previous member posted, most likely native BBM will roll out when BB10 phones are available.

I can see that happening as well.
    01-13-12 01:05 PM
    If I was RIM I think I would leave BBM on the Phones, integrates well and is incentive for a user to get a BB phone.

Or, like most people want, more of an iMessage approach. Your BBM's follow you from device to device. Although I do agree, it will be low on the priority list at RIM.

But, for me it can stay on my phone. Bridge is too good.
    Delirious D likes this.
    01-13-12 02:41 PM
    RIM will implement BBM on PB and BB phones similar to how BBM Groups are done. The conversations, pictures, and lists are stored in the NOC and the device(s) (Playbook, BB phones) will access and authenticate with BBID.
    01-13-12 03:21 PM
    RIM will implement BBM on PB and BB phones similar to how BBM Groups are done. The conversations, pictures, and lists are stored in the NOC and the device(s) (Playbook, BB phones) will access and authenticate with BBID.
    But if you don't have a phone, how do you pay for your monthly access to the NOC? Currently, the carriers include this fee as part of the Blackberry service.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-13-12 03:24 PM
    I wonder if we've had any word on BBM enhancements over the bridge in 2.0?
    01-13-12 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD