The Playbook also has the benefit of showing BBM notifications from conversations delivered to my phone 3 days ago and just won't clear.
    ok, that's funny.
    06-10-11 01:35 PM
    Will imessage be USA only too?
    No. iMessages and iCloud two different things. iMessage works fine in Canada.

-Kang
    06-10-11 01:40 PM
    No. iMessages and iCloud two different things. iMessage works fine in Canada.

-Kang
    I know they are combining text and imessage. If you are internationally is it going to send a text or data message?
    06-10-11 01:52 PM
    It'll be data based, 3g or WiFi. I'm not sure how the initial "handshake" works though, I'm assuming that the app sends some kind of PING to the recipient to determine if they use iMessage.

That in itself raises questions. Supposedly iMessage makes the determination by itself if the recipient is an iMessage user but I would have to initiate the conversation somehow, at the moment that would be by composing a message to a contact in my address book by phone number, what if the person I'm contacting is only using iMessage on the iPad (their phone is a BB for example), would I have to know their Apple ID to make that initial contact? Not sure i'd want to share my AppleID with anyone.

Naturally, after that initial conversation iMessage should remember whether to use iMessage or SMS but the initial handshake is a mystery to me.

I know they are combining text and imessage. If you are internationally is it going to send a text or data message?
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-10-11 at 02:06 PM.
    06-10-11 02:00 PM
    This is the way I know it to work. If you're sending to another iOS 5 device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) the message will be sent via iMessage, otherwise text. You use the same App, and it'll determine based on who you're sending to.

Now the interesting question is this. If I have a contact for you and there is an email address (That's is also your Apple ID) and your phone number. When I send you a message, will it go to iMessage or Text?

-Kang
    06-10-11 02:03 PM
    would I have to know their Apple ID? Not sure i'd want to share my AppleID with anyone.
    You're Apple ID, is just your email address; like [email protected] is mine, no big deal.

-Kang
    06-10-11 02:07 PM
    Considering texting can sometimes be not reliable when your traveling this will be a hurdle they will have to deal with. Especially if it has to determine if recipient uses imessage
    06-10-11 02:08 PM
    My AppleID is unique to my Apple account, and like my other accounts that my Credit Card is tied to I don't like to share that information. If my ID were merely my Email address what is to stop someone trying to recover my password by guessing at my "first dogs name" etc, A lot of people know my "first dogs name". Thats an example, obviously, but you might see where I'm going here. I don't even know if Apple use that "security question" password recovery or not but if I have to share my AppleID, security suddenly take a bit of a hit.

I'm going to assume that when you sign up to iCloud that you're required to create a new ID that iMessage will use. If not, count me out.

You're Apple ID, is just your email address; like [email protected] is mine, no big deal.

-Kang
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-10-11 at 02:15 PM.
    06-10-11 02:09 PM
    [off topic] Wow, that Yemson dude had me lmao... What a complete tool! He's not doing BB fans any justice.

...anyway, somehow i cant see a company like Apple which focuses its efforts on the user experience; limit its millions of customers across the world by only providing the US with iCloud and iMessage services. To me its normal practice for Apple to introduce new producs and services in its US markets first, then roll out across the globe later on. Im sure by the end of the year we will all benefit from it.
    06-10-11 02:27 PM
    I'm going to assume that when you sign up to iCloud that you're required to create a new ID that iMessage will use. If not, count me out.
    I guessing here, but based on the "It just works" philosophy, it would use your pre-existing AppleID, I really don't need another account. If you have an iOS device, you have an AppleID. Beside, there's a good chance you're only going to iMessage your friends/family, and not random strangers. For the random strangers, give your phone number for text messages...

And if you're super duper paranoid, you can always setup your iTunes account with no credit card. Great for kids...

Create an iTunes App Store account without a credit card

-Kang
    06-10-11 02:33 PM
    [off topic] Wow, that Yemson dude had me lmao... What a complete tool! He's not doing BB fans any justice.

...anyway, somehow i cant see a company like Apple which focuses its efforts on the user experience; limit its millions of customers across the world by only providing the US with iCloud and iMessage services. To me its normal practice for Apple to introduce new producs and services in its US markets first, then roll out across the globe later on. Im sure by the end of the year we will all benefit from it.
    engadget reported UK will be waiting till 2012. As someone who travels for a living if they can't have it in all of Europe or Asia not point in getting it even for personal use, sorry but it would be a long time for I used any cloud service business.
    06-10-11 02:34 PM
    Naturally I only message with friends etc but assume some enterprising hacker starts sending out messages to random numbers, my phone id's me as an I message user. Will my ID be cached on the hackers device? I know that's far fetched but still.

I guessing here, but based on the "It just works" philosophy, it would use your pre-existing AppleID, I really don't need another account. If you have an iOS device, you have an AppleID. Beside, there's a good chance you're only going to iMessage your friends/family, and not random strangers. For the random strangers, give your phone number for text messages...

And if you're super duper paranoid, you can always setup your iTunes account with no credit card. Great for kids...

-Kang
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-11 02:39 PM
    Naturally I only message with friends etc but assume some enterprising hacker starts sending out messages to random numbers, my phone id's me as an I message user. Will my ID be cached on the hackers device? I know that's far fetched but still.

You think it would have to be if imessage has to determine to send a text or a data message. If it didn't that process would be repeated every time you started a new chat.
    06-10-11 02:47 PM
    Here's another question, how do you stop a person that has your phone number and/or apple id messaging you?

BBM can block and ignore another bbm user forever.

06-10-11 02:49 PM
    Not sure but chances are if they have your pin they also have your number & can sms you regardless of their bbm block status. I know all my bbm contacts have my # also.

Here's another question, how do you stop a person that has your phone number and/or apple id messaging you?

BBM can block and ignore another bbm user forever.

06-10-11 02:58 PM
    Not sure but chances are if they have your pin they also have your number & can sms you regardless of their bbm block status. I know all my bbm contacts have my # also.

Not really, bbm has turned into such a social platform. Just go to blackberry and blackberry uk facebook pages and see how many people post their pins there. They do it with the knowledge they can block them if they turn nasty or pervy

06-10-11 03:09 PM
    It'll be interesting to find out because I think iMessage will be on the desktop also so spammers could have a field day.

06-10-11 04:18 PM
    I think you guys are really over thinking this... and really underestimating Apple.
    06-10-11 08:02 PM
    engadget reported UK will be waiting till 2012. As someone who travels for a living if they can't have it in all of Europe or Asia not point in getting it even for personal use, sorry but it would be a long time for I used any cloud service business.

Again, I'm sure they'll have it covered.

also I noticed as soon as the announcement of iCloud was made, when I now go to the appstore on my phone and check updates, I now see an option to check my purchased apps, if I click it; it brings me to a new page which lists apps I have have stored on my mac but not in my phone, these apps appear with the new iCloud logo... so maybe the UK and the rest of world may get it sooner than expected. Any iPhone owners in Europe or Asia wanna check this?
    06-11-11 04:55 AM
    im just happy i dont need to have 2 data plans...
    06-11-11 05:16 AM
    Its wireless and works with any hdtv that you plug the appletv into. ANY hdtv, unless you prefer counting on only having tvs that are wireless natively?

I can see my self using that feature now. Come on RIM get with it!

Next time i am in a business meeting and want to connect my PB to the projector I can do it wireless, no HDMI cable required! That would be awesome! Then all i would need is to figure out how to connect my apple tv to the projector so i can wirelessly connect my PB!!! Sweeeet.

I want a device that will make me more effective at work and one that is fun and easy to use, as well as, has a low cost of ownership (no second data plan, great data compression, great security, and my IT department will allow on the company network).

What you describe sounds like fun, but i dont need another toy. My xBox works just fine.
    06-11-11 08:22 AM

-Kang
    Why do so many of these Blackberry forums turn out to be Apple forums??? If you want to talk Apple i am sure there are forums that are better suited. This goes to show you how great the crackberry forums are!
    06-11-11 08:31 AM
    Why do so many of these Blackberry forums turn out to be Apple forums??? If you want to talk Apple i am sure there are forums that are better suited. This goes to show you how great the crackberry forums are!
    Hmm from looking at the opening post, I would make a wild guess and say the poster was in favour of BlackBerry... So maybe your question should be, why do so many BB fans like making forum posts about Apple and iOS?

At end of the day, why the hostility? I've been posting on here since 2008. I owned several blackberry's and enjoyed coming on CrackBerry gaining some valuable knowledge, just because people like myself have decided to jump ship; doesn't mean we should stop posting on here, like you said, Crackberry is a great forum...but attitude like yours will ruin it!
    Last edited by The Gift; 06-11-11 at 06:14 PM.
    06-11-11 06:10 PM
    Hmm from looking at the opening post, I would make a wild guess and say the poster was in favour of BlackBerry... So maybe your question should be, why do so many BB fans like making forum posts about Apple and iOS?
    Good job really or else crackberry traffic would erode as fast as rims market share

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-13-11 07:03 PM
224 ... 789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD