those who have non-BB10 phones can stay on current OS for their continuing bridge function...
    The problem is less and less is being developed for the playbook because of the OS. Unless it get's BB10 no developer is going to write separate apps for it as well. When all devices are under the same OS it's less of a hassle to write for. Case and point look at Blackberry world lately. It's becoming a ghost town for new actual releases...

People don't want to keep 2.1 for the bridge, they want to tap into the NEW eco system of BB10 and a real browser not the $hitty air one or a browser with java shut off, just so it runs.
    axllebeer likes this.
    06-27-13 02:06 PM
    People don't want to keep 2.1 for the bridge, they want to tap into the NEW eco system of BB10 and a real browser not the $hitty air one or a browser with java shut off, just so it runs.
    Yes the most important thing to me is the BB10 apps and a better browser.
    06-27-13 02:30 PM
    I just want the functions of BBOS7 bridge back dammit. I don't care how they do it, whether it's taking performance enhancing drugs or any of that. I want my Playbook to talk to my Q10 like it talks to my 9900.

As I think I said before whoever, and for whatever reason, the decision was made to remove the 'useful' functions of bridge - stoopid idea Blackberry. And if it was done by accident. Well, 'p*** up' and 'brewery' spring to mind.

BB10 on Playbook or no BB10 on Playbook at the moment when I'm out and about with my 9900/Playbook I've got a set of brilliantly integrated tools. With my Q10/Playbook combo I'm carrying a (potentially) great phone and a glorified Kindle.

*and breathe*
    Last edited by bozvandam; 06-27-13 at 03:45 PM. Reason: cos eye kant spel
    FF22 likes this.
    06-27-13 03:44 PM
    I just want the functions of BBOS7 bridge back dammit. I don't care how they do it, whether it's taking performance enhancing drugs or any of that. I want my Playbook to talk to my Q10 like it talks to my 9900.

As I think I said before whoever, and for whatever reason, the decision was made to remove the 'useful' functions of bridge - stoopid idea Blackberry. And if it was done by accident. Well, 'p*** up' and 'brewery' spring to mind.

BB10 on Playbook or no BB10 on Playbook at the moment when I'm out and about with my 9900/Playbook I've got a set of brilliantly integrated tools. With my Q10/Playbook combo I'm carrying a (potentially) great phone and a glorified Kindle.

*and breathe*
    Bravo, bravo. Encore................
    bozvandam likes this.
    06-27-13 04:04 PM
    Well, that's a wrap folks. No more "where's bb10 on playbook" threads
    06-28-13 08:02 AM
    Well, that's a wrap folks. No more "where's bb10 on playbook" threads
    Yep, we wanted an answer and we've got it. Not the one we wanted to hear, but at least we're not wondering anymore..

This, along with Thor's previous comments about tablets probably means BBRY will be out of the tablet business moving forward.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 08:12 AM
    Yep, we wanted an answer and we've got it. Not the one we wanted to hear, but at least we're not wondering anymore..

This, along with Thor's previous comments about tablets probably means BBRY will be out of the tablet business moving forward.

Posted via CB10
    Sad but probably true
    06-28-13 08:22 AM
    Now I have closure and can move on! Bye bye PlayBook: hello ipad!

This is the end of me and blackberry! I am filing for divorce!

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and blacks66 like this.
    06-28-13 12:45 PM
    Now I have closure and can move on! Bye bye PlayBook: hello ipad!

This is the end of me and blackberry! I am filing for divorce!

Posted via CB10
    I don't think I'll go that far.. But probably the beginning of the end of my use of the Playbook.. This means no new apps for it and limited "support" from BBRY whatever that means..

But the Z10 is still great and my continued use of BB products wasn't contingent on the Playbook getting BB10.

It just would have been nice.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 01:41 PM
    With this, I'm actually less inclined to upgrade to a Q10 now, or at least not unless it drops to $0 on contract. Means I can squeeze more out of my OS7 device to pair with my PlayBook. When it really becomes obsolete in a year or so is when I'll probably get the newest QWERTY BlackBerry and yes...probably another iPad (I've used an iPad2 and an Asus TF Prime, and the iPad is vastly superior). As an overall mobile experience, I think a 9900 + a PlayBook is superior to having a Q10 + crippled PlayBook, but that's just for my needs.

I don't see the point of an outright boycott because a company "angered" you, much the same as I didn't see a point of buying BB products if you didn't actually like using them. The Playbook for all its faults is actually a very good tablet as long as you use a Blackberry phone along with it. Sideloading and Bridge have really prolonged the life and usefulness of the device for me. BB10 was an afterthought, I just wanted to have Skype and Instagram on it and nothing more.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-28-13 02:11 PM
    Guys, please stop. Tweeting RIMployees asking about a BB10 update for the PlayBook has NEVER brought any news, and it never will. You're wasting your time, and the time of the people you are tweeting.

That being said, here's the situation. BlackBerry is currently exploring two different directions for the PlayBook. They are internally testing a new OS for the PlayBook, as well as another option which would be more like BlackBerry Bridge on steroids. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place, and are uncertain which path they're going to choose. That's why they have been silent this entire time.

The new OS is incapable of running the Jelly Bean Runtime. The PlayBook just can't handle the updated runtime, which is very important to some people. If they do end up releasing the new OS, no Android apps. Only BB10 apps. (Which wouldn't be a bad thing if BlackBerry World had a wider selection of native BB10 apps, but at this time, it doesn't.) There are also a few other downers with the new OS, but I won't go there, it's not important right now.

The "BlackBerry Bridge on steroids" option would require you to own a BlackBerry 10 smartphone. For those who do own a BB10 phone, this would be an excellent choice, as everything you do on your phone could be mirrored onto your PlayBook. For those who don't use a BB10 phone as your daily driver, this would be devastating.

So as you can see, both options have their pro's and cons, but neither are perfect. Go with option 1, and everyone complains because there's no Android runtime. Go with option 2, and you screw over your customers who don't own a BB10 smartphone. There's no way BlackBerry can win in this situation.

If you're thinking about asking me to share more info, don't bother. I have already said more than I should have. I just don't want to see poor Alec and Michael's Twitter accounts get bombarded by people asking questions that they can't answer. I know you just want to see BB10 on the PlayBook as soon as possible, and as a PlayBook owner, I feel the same way. But tweeting about it will accomplish nothing.

P.S.: My info comes from a very reliable source who is close to the project. If you want to believe it, good. If you don't believe it, I really don't care.
    Dude, looks like your "source" was wrong! Shame! Today's news was not what any of us wanted!

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 05:00 PM
    Dude, looks like your "source" was wrong! Shame! Today's news was not what any of us wanted!
    My source was right. There is a new OS, it's just not ready for public use. They decided to go in a different direction, that doesn't make my source a liar. The info he gave me was accurate at the time he gave it to me. But unfortunately, things change.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 06:24 PM
    My source was right. There is a new OS, it's just not ready for public use. They decided to go in a different direction, that doesn't make my source a liar. The info he gave me was accurate at the time he gave it to me. But unfortunately, things change.

Posted via CB10
    This is what we have been hearing from BlackBerry too. Just hope they will make a few changes to OS 2.1 in the current form.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    06-28-13 11:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    So if BlackBerry was undecided on either Bb10apps for Playbook with no updated android runtime OR bridge on steroids, then does that mean they opted to push through with the bridge on steroids option instead? This is considering that BlackBerry just announced that bb10 ain't coming to playbook.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 01:32 AM
    PlayBook is like a dying patient... the only thing that keep it alive is the life supporting machine... now, that BlackBerry cut the lifeline, it will eventually lead to its end... a final end...

We have no choice but to accept that...

Posted via Z10
    06-29-13 01:37 AM
    This is what we have been hearing from BlackBerry too. Just hope they will make a few changes to OS 2.1 in the current form.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    I think a chance of a real update of the pb OS is slim to none or about as possible as bb10 for the pb at this point. They have no money to expend on this effort. Or have they been "wasting" money parallel developing pb os 2.xxxxxyz or 3.0? Doubtful.
    06-29-13 08:24 AM
    Can't you get it through your skull that we were told, "sometime this year", or "later this year"?

All this idle nattering about 'broken promises' is just blather & nonsense.

Grow up!
    You must feel pretty dumb now eh

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl and ciscobear like this.
    06-29-13 10:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    Dude, u never used the 'L' word! I just said your source was wrong!

Hopefully someone will leak that version 1 soon! Now that the PI IS dead, don't think anyone at BlackBerry would mind....

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 06:31 AM
    Funny it validates my decisions early this year.

I needed a new phone, I looked at the Z10 and then I thought about all the unkept promises on the playbook. The wait for email. The wait for BB10 on the playbook, the sucky browser on the playbook...

Soooooooo I bought an iPhone 5. And an iPad Mini, and an iPad for my parents so that we can use facetime and skype and I can use netflix. And lots of other stuff. Yes it cost more but at least they work, they have tons of apps for them.

Funny but I still have the 1st generation ipod touch which still works (and using the opera mini browser is faster than the playbook browser) so I am used to the iOS interface but the Playbook is still my favourite interface. I miss being able to swipe on my iPhone, iPad's and my Nexus 7.

Blackberry does not care about its customers, if it did it would not alienate all the loyal playbook users.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!
    ciscobear likes this.
    06-30-13 07:11 AM
    It would have been nice if a bomb was being dropped about not upgrading the PlayBook that they had the update to 2.1 ready to go or an eta of when we can expect it. The way they handled it, I am not convinced there will ever be any update to improve Brower, bridge, etc
    Cynycl and FF22 like this.
    06-30-13 08:03 AM
    It would have been nice if a bomb was being dropped about not upgrading the PlayBook that they had the update to 2.1 ready to go or an eta of when we can expect it. The way they handled it, I am not convinced there will ever be any update to improve Brower, bridge, etc
    That is very logical and I thought the same when the announcement was made last week.

But then I thought when has logic and BlackBerry PR/marketing ever coexisted?

So maybe those updates will come. But BlackBerry will make a stones of explaining and marketing them.

Posted via CB10 & my Z10
    06-30-13 09:51 AM
    That is very logical and I thought the same when the announcement was made last week.

But then I thought when has logic and BlackBerry PR/marketing ever coexisted?

So maybe those updates will come. But BlackBerry will make a stones of explaining and marketing them.

Posted via CB10 & my Z10
    Given their track record, I am not confident that an update ever will be offered. It's as if the playbook is the red-headed stepchild of BB and they wish it never existed. Apologies to red-headed stepchildren everywhere.
    06-30-13 01:17 PM
147 ... 456