Every other week I do a quick search for bb10 + playbook on google. Every other week there is the same inane chatter, with debates on when it might happen and fan boys denying that there is anything wrong with the playbook as it stands.

I brought 3 of them used off ebay. One for me, one for brother and one for parents. I've not got a big financial investiture, but I would be really pissed off if I'd have paid full price for one. Don't get me wrong, the UI is very slick. The hardware is actually pretty great, having a wolfson audio dac (main reason I brought them), a pretty decent screen, solid build and decent battery life.

Thing is, the browser absolutely blows (seriously, the native browser on my old Nokia E71 would probably eat chunks out of this one), the app ecosystem is poor, and the knowledge that there are that many frustrated users with no communication from the company is actually disgusting. Really it is a PR disaster, especially with the amount of advertising that went into the product and in turn the number of units shifted. It's almost like buying a car, but you have to wait for X years before the electric windows, stereo and probably the headlights are finished. When am I going to be able to drive at night Mr Honda? Maybe end of the year (wouldn't happen).

The device is great for what I brought it for. Watching films over DLNA (thank you KalemSoft Media Player), occasional SSH into my Linux box, listening to music and internet radio. Why such a rubbish browser though?

Probably like the majority of users, all I'd like from this device is:
    Access to BB10 Apps
    Jellybean sideloading
    Decent browser (could also be taken care of by Jellybean sideloading).
    OTG support
    A keyboard which works in real time and not stuck in a different time zone

Blackberry, if you can't\won't give us that, please just give us the keys to the device so we can put android on it and put an end to these repetitive threads.

If you can\will do that, let us know how your getting along. Some sort of ETA perhaps? In the mean time I'll be using my android phone for browsing and avoiding future Blackberry products like the plague!!!!
    06-26-13 08:23 PM
    For some reason I'm taking this as a good sign... I'm just hopeful though, haha

BB10 on PlayBook twitter campaign-img_00000293.png
    eddy_berry and axllebeer like this.
    06-26-13 08:33 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000293.png 
Views:	445 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	176322
    In English:

"I don't have anything I can ever say. Pound Sand."
    06-26-13 08:52 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000293.png 
Views:	445 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	176322
    I don't have anything I can say right now. So that means:

1. It's coming and I can't say.

2. It's not coming and I can't say.

3. At least it wasn't more nebulous, like "Playbook update? What update? We forgot!"

I can't freaken take it anymore. My electronics life was fantastic a few months ago. I had a Bold and was rockin' my pb. Then I upgraded to my z10, suddenly making my tablet a paperweight because they took all bridge functionality away, which was a major reason why I bought it. The lack of bb10 app availability for the pb needs to go too. I don't mind sideloading, but it's a 50/50 chance a port works well, so that's not a fix, it's just a bandaid. Fix those two things, and give the ui an updated look, and I'm good to go.

That's all I need. Please, for the love of God, that's all I need. I am so frustrated, as everyone else is, that I think I have some decisions to make. I bought an ipad mini so I can just have something that works and app availability isn't an issue. Gross, I know, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I need to either go back to my bold or switch ecosystems at some point in the future. I don't want to but I am feeling forced by the company.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-26-13 09:00 PM
    no, not this crap again. its not gonna happen until dec 31 2013 11:59pm. then maybe if we are lucky we will hear a word or two how it is still in consideration
    You holding your breath? I wouldn't! Just look at the track record of on time delivered projects! If I worked like that i'd be out of a job long ago!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 09:21 PM
    I understand that BB 'promised' to give us 10 on the Playbook, and they haven't done that, but at this point I think it would be a waste of their resources. The thing is two years old now which makes it an antique in the technology world, and its doubtful BB10 would run very well anyways on the underpowered processor. If they are going to support a tablet, let them come out with a new one. As much as I like my Playbook, I think BB has better things to do right now and if getting BB10 on the Playbook means a delay to some of their other current programs then forget it. I don't know if you can even buy one now, so why would they waste their time?
    The pb is bb's sole product in the tablet market, and it is currently available for purchase.

For a company that has the "best multitasking eperinece", if they can't multi task outside of launching 2 new handsets in years then I don't know what to think.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-26-13 09:46 PM
    I don't have anything I can say right now. So that means:

3. At least it wasn't more nebulous, like "Playbook update? What update? We forgot!"

I can't freaken take it anymore. My electronics life was fantastic a few months ago. I had a Bold and was rockin' my pb. Then I upgraded to my z10, suddenly making my tablet a paperweight because they took all bridge functionality away, which was a major reason why I bought it. The lack of bb10 app availability for the pb needs to go too. I don't mind sideloading, but it's a 50/50 chance a port works well, so that's not a fix, it's just a bandaid. Fix those two things, and give the ui an updated look, and I'm good to go.

That's all I need. Please, for the love of God, that's all I need. I am so frustrated, as everyone else is, that I think I have some decisions to make. I bought an ipad mini so I can just have something that works and app availability isn't an issue. Gross, I know, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I need to either go back to my bold or switch ecosystems at some point in the future. I don't want to but I am feeling forced by the company.
    Alec saying "sorry" isn't a good sign. If he had good news he would have said something more in character like "can't say right now "
    06-26-13 09:51 PM
    Alec saying "sorry" isn't a good sign. If he had good news he would have said something more in character like "can't say right now "
    I hear ya. I'm still holding out hope though
    06-26-13 09:53 PM
    Sorry is an indication for disappointment. I just hope I get some kind of an update to the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    h20work likes this.
    06-26-13 10:03 PM
    Sorry is an indication for disappointment. I just hope I get some kind of an update to the PlayBook.

Or.... it could just be exactly what it sounds like... An apology for having no update on the update. drrr, haha
    06-26-13 10:05 PM
    Or.... it could just be exactly what it sounds like... An apology for having no update on the update. drrr, haha
    I hope it means this. Until then, keep our hopes high and keep asking BlackBerry for an answer.

06-26-13 10:12 PM

"3. Playbook? What's a Playbook?"
    h20work and alieannie like this.
    06-26-13 10:15 PM
    I hear ya. I'm still holding out hope though
    Wish in one hand and sh!t in the other. See which one fills up first.

Bad Santa reference I'm cautiously optimistic
    06-26-13 10:24 PM
    Wish in one hand and sh!t in the other. See which one fills up first.

Bad Santa reference I'm cautiously optimistic
    Haha, nice
    06-26-13 10:30 PM
    I hope it means this. Until then, keep our hopes high and keep asking BlackBerry for an answer.

Actually I'm thinking the exact opposite at this point. If we keep our expectations low, then we will be thrilled if it comes to the PB. If we keep our expectations high, then we may just find ourselves incredibly disappointed. Also, it's painfully clear that BlackBerry isn't giving any sort of an answer until they are good and ready
    06-26-13 10:32 PM
    It has been stated by BlackBerry that it will come. Maybe with 10.2? The obvious reason that I can think of for the delay is the lack of landscape support. I personally don't want to use my PlayBook in portrait mode and I don't think BlackBerry will release it for PlayBook until it is ready.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 11:55 PM
    It has been stated by BlackBerry that it will come. Maybe with 10.2? The obvious reason that I can think of for the delay is the lack of landscape support. I personally don't want to use my PlayBook in portrait mode and I don't think BlackBerry will release it for PlayBook until it is ready.

Posted via CB10
    That would make sense, given all the little hints that people have been finding
    06-26-13 11:59 PM
    Guys, please stop. Tweeting RIMployees asking about a BB10 update for the PlayBook has NEVER brought any news, and it never will. You're wasting your time, and the time of the people you are tweeting.

That being said, here's the situation. BlackBerry is currently exploring two different directions for the PlayBook. They are internally testing a new OS for the PlayBook, as well as another option which would be more like BlackBerry Bridge on steroids. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place, and are uncertain which path they're going to choose. That's why they have been silent this entire time.

The new OS is incapable of running the Jelly Bean Runtime. The PlayBook just can't handle the updated runtime, which is very important to some people. If they do end up releasing the new OS, no Android apps. Only BB10 apps. (Which wouldn't be a bad thing if BlackBerry World had a wider selection of native BB10 apps, but at this time, it doesn't.) There are also a few other downers with the new OS, but I won't go there, it's not important right now.

The "BlackBerry Bridge on steroids" option would require you to own a BlackBerry 10 smartphone. For those who do own a BB10 phone, this would be an excellent choice, as everything you do on your phone could be mirrored onto your PlayBook. For those who don't use a BB10 phone as your daily driver, this would be devastating.

So as you can see, both options have their pro's and cons, but neither are perfect. Go with option 1, and everyone complains because there's no Android runtime. Go with option 2, and you screw over your customers who don't own a BB10 smartphone. There's no way BlackBerry can win in this situation.

If you're thinking about asking me to share more info, don't bother. I have already said more than I should have. I just don't want to see poor Alec and Michael's Twitter accounts get bombarded by people asking questions that they can't answer. I know you just want to see BB10 on the PlayBook as soon as possible, and as a PlayBook owner, I feel the same way. But tweeting about it will accomplish nothing.

P.S.: My info comes from a very reliable source who is close to the project. If you want to believe it, good. If you don't believe it, I really don't care.
    06-27-13 01:07 AM
    Ah yes the reliable source. Almost sounds like bbleaks lol.

Everything you just said is public knowledge and has been for months, so really no news at all.

FYI it can run jelly bean. Bottom line Thor opened his big mouth and stated bb10 will be on all playbooks. So don't deliver you really think someone who has a pb now would buy a blackberry product in the future? Good luck with that..
    Kyle27 and russworman like this.
    06-27-13 01:35 AM
    Ah yes the reliable source. Almost sounds like bbleaks lol.

Everything you just said is public knowledge and has been for months, so really no news at all.

FYI it can run jelly bean. Bottom line Thor opened his big mouth and stated bb10 will be on all playbooks. So don't deliver you really think someone who has a pb now would buy a blackberry product in the future? Good luck with that..
    Bottom line is something is coming, but nobody knows what yet. So no need to bombard people's Twitter accounts.
    06-27-13 01:40 AM
    If the BB10 and the non-BB10 phones are the concerned, my 9-year old nephew has a suggestion... he said, why don't BlackBerry make the BB10 PlayBook upgrade optional?... those who have non-BB10 phones can stay on current OS for their continuing bridge function... while those who already owns BB10 mobiles can enjoy what the non-BB10 mobile users are enjoying... this will satisfy both customers...

I don't know, he probably watched too much Spongebob's episodes...

Posted via Z10
    Kyle27 likes this.
    06-27-13 01:46 AM
    Guys, please stop. Tweeting RIMployees asking about a BB10 update for the PlayBook has NEVER brought any news, and it never will. You're wasting your time, and the time of the people you are tweeting.

That being said, here's the situation. BlackBerry is currently exploring two different directions for the PlayBook. They are internally testing a new OS for the PlayBook, as well as another option which would be more like BlackBerry Bridge on steroids. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place, and are uncertain which path they're going to choose. That's why they have been silent this entire time.

The new OS is incapable of running the Jelly Bean Runtime. The PlayBook just can't handle the updated runtime, which is very important to some people. If they do end up releasing the new OS, no Android apps. Only BB10 apps. (Which wouldn't be a bad thing if BlackBerry World had a wider selection of native BB10 apps, but at this time, it doesn't.) There are also a few other downers with the new OS, but I won't go there, it's not important right now.

The "BlackBerry Bridge on steroids" option would require you to own a BlackBerry 10 smartphone. For those who do own a BB10 phone, this would be an excellent choice, as everything you do on your phone could be mirrored onto your PlayBook. For those who don't use a BB10 phone as your daily driver, this would be devastating.

So as you can see, both options have their pro's and cons, but neither are perfect. Go with option 1, and everyone complains because there's no Android runtime. Go with option 2, and you screw over your customers who don't own a BB10 smartphone. There's no way BlackBerry can win in this situation.

If you're thinking about asking me to share more info, don't bother. I have already said more than I should have. I just don't want to see poor Alec and Michael's Twitter accounts get bombarded by people asking questions that they can't answer. I know you just want to see BB10 on the PlayBook as soon as possible, and as a PlayBook owner, I feel the same way. But tweeting about it will accomplish nothing.

P.S.: My info comes from a very reliable source who is close to the project. If you want to believe it, good. If you don't believe it, I really don't care.
    Thanks for the info. Personally I would gladly accept either of the two options you mentioned. Any of them would be better than what we have now.

However I don't agree with you that all us PlayBook owners should just accept BlackBerry's silence on PlayBook updates. Unfortunately I and others do not have the sources you do and would like the company to tell us how the commitment to bring BB10 to the PlayBook is progressing.

Posted via CB10 & my Z10
    FF22 and alieannie like this.
    06-27-13 01:55 AM

Thanks for sharing this info. I really feel that the second option is not suitable for the current market situations and should be made available as a beta right now. I'm sure there are still a few who have multiple units lying around who would want to get their hands on the mobile computing concept of Thor. I assume that if the bridge is on steroids, the PlayBook would not have more functionality than the OS 1.0 and bridge would be essential. If not the case, BlackBerry can have different versions of the Bridge app.

The first option is what the majority would want as they have bought the PlayBook solely for the purpose of using it as a standalone tablet. BlackBerry may want to introduce their pure mobile computing conept on a future completely new product when the BB10 phones are being used in plenty.

I don't expect the Jellybean on the update since Thor never promised it, though it would be great. Even if they manage to improve the Gingerbread runtime like it is in the current build of 10.1, that is good enough. We can now run a lot more apps on the Runtime of BB10.1 than that of the PlayBook. After all the PlayBook is an old product and we wouldn't expect the upgrade to be a full featured one.

But I still am scared if they don't end up calling the upgrade as BB10 as the scavenger shorts will tear BlackBerry and Thor apart as a bunch of liars who have not changed their ways. And with the current sentiment for PlayBook, that is sure to catch up. BlackBerry needs to play wise, really wise.

Last edited by ukmight; 06-27-13 at 02:45 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-27-13 02:16 AM
    But......

Instead of throwing development effort into trying to get jellybean to run under emulation, which at best is gonna be marginal - why not make it easier to convert android apps to buttery smooth native BB10 apps.

Personally I can't see the point of developing an OS, creating hardware specifically for that OS and then hamstringing it by trying to emulate a supposedly inferior OS.

BBRY has consistently said that BB10 is the the future of the company - but then spends $ they can ill afford trying to emulate the opposition - litteraly.
    h20work likes this.
    06-27-13 02:22 AM
    Bottom line is something is coming, but nobody knows what yet. So no need to bombard people's Twitter accounts.
    Even a smart statement like, "we have not forgotten the PlayBook" would calm down people here. Their current standard response is sure to intimidate the users.
    BlackBerry doesn't have the reputation of an Apple who can stay quite and not expect people to get angry. The past reputation of the delays to BB10 is unfortunately doing them harm and the current PR strategy isn't helping them in my opinion.

FF22 likes this.
    06-27-13 02:26 AM
147 ... 23456