I changed my sig today. An easy way to keep the issue alive.

"Yes, we have teams working on BB10 for the PlayBook. " Thornton Heins March 8, 2013
    06-26-13 08:07 AM
    Just did...

Two possible things would happen... either, we get tired of "no update as of this moment" or something similar to that reasoning and let it go... or, BlackBerry will be annoyed that they will tell us the truth...

The question now is who get tired first...

Posted via Z10
    the_real_mikeyb likes this.
    06-26-13 08:18 AM
    Just did...

Two possible things would happen... either, we get tired of "no update as of this moment" or something similar to that reasoning and let it go... or, BlackBerry will be annoyed that they will tell us the truth...

The question now is who get tired first...

Posted via Z10
    With just 52 people replying to this thread, I feel we have got tired before.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    06-26-13 08:33 AM

Let's mot be defeatist about it! Keep posting!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 08:36 AM
    I've tried posing this question several time on the Blackberry Developer blog, but they always moderate the postings away.

Folks, these aren't the actions of an antipathetic entity. They are a direct, malicious attempt to shut down any and all discussion of BB10 for the Playbook. BB is now openly hostile to the PB community. They want us to just shut up and go away so they can focus on Thor's latest mobile computing concept-du-jour (whatever that is - seems to change from interview to interview).

Bottom Line: We've been screwed over and left for dead. This is worse even thant the HP/WebOS debacle since, unlike TouchPad owners, we can't root the device so that 3rd parties can continue to innovate and evolve the OS. The PB is now a dead-end product that's been abandoned by a duplicitous company that abused our loyalty in order to beta test an OS they'll never deliver to our community.

Welcome to the "new" BB!

RCK
    Agreed! But at least HP was open about the Touch Pad and told everyone that it is dead! We on the other hand do not know! I love my PlayBooks - but need to know if it's worth sticking around and port my own android apps to it while I wait for the BB10 apps to appear or whether it really is time to move on to another device

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 08:38 AM
    I have a question for you: Would you rather BlackBerry push out a half baked BB10 upgrade now, comparable to the original launch of the PlayBook, or wait until 'later this year' and see a well tuned beautiful BB10 OS?

Honestly, I can wait. And to be honest, I would prefer they fix, tune and enhance then Z10/Q10 versions and get out OS 10.2 and 10.3. These improvements will be much more incremental than the addition of BB10 to the PlayBook.

While I do feel like the PB is neglected without the update, I'm fine with waiting. Maybe they are trying to add some amazing M2M stuff in there, so if you add your Z10/Q10 they can share RAM or whatever (I have no idea if this is even possible, but from my limited knowledge, it would solve some issues with BB10 on the PB from what I've heard)
    EchoesFX and eddy_berry like this.
    06-26-13 08:50 AM
    the promise was late this year
    06-26-13 08:53 AM
    the promise was late this year
    No it wasn't.

"Yes, we have teams working on BB10 for the PlayBook. " Thornton Heins March 8, 2013
    06-26-13 08:54 AM
    I have a question for you: Would you rather BlackBerry push out a half baked BB10 upgrade now, comparable to the original launch of the PlayBook, or wait until 'later this year' and see a well tuned beautiful BB10 OS?

Honestly, I can wait. And to be honest, I would prefer they fix, tune and enhance then Z10/Q10 versions and get out OS 10.2 and 10.3. These improvements will be much more incremental than the addition of BB10 to the PlayBook.

While I do feel like the PB is neglected without the update, I'm fine with waiting. Maybe they are trying to add some amazing M2M stuff in there, so if you add your Z10/Q10 they can share RAM or whatever (I have no idea if this is even possible, but from my limited knowledge, it would solve some issues with BB10 on the PB from what I've heard)
    I would like some news that they are working on it! I work for a fortune 500 company and in our R&D group we have people constantly working on different phases of projects. The idea I get from BlackBerry is that no one is working on the PlayBook! There have been no tweeks (think of the poor Facebook app that has no pictures on it, no flash update) or even any mentioning of the PlayBook in months.

To me it sounds like they have buried it and just forgot to tell all of us about it!

Regarding a half baked update: I would like the BB10 apps to work and the new browser. Not bothered about the rest.

Right now I need to know though if it's worth waiting for an update or if there will be nothing and they just haven't told us!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 08:59 AM

Suppose i will find more social networks to share this thread on.
    06-26-13 10:30 AM
    There's also a financial component to the question. For example, if I know that BB10 is coming for the PB I might be inclined to hold off on certain PB app purchases that would be redundant under the new OS. Case in point: Fast Browser. I bought it out of frustration with the native PB browser, and if BB reneges on their promise (which I strongly suspect they will), then it was a sensible investment. However, if BB10 does arrive on the PB, then I'll likely be using the native BB10 browser and relegating Fast Browser to the dustbin of once functional, but ultimately unnecessary, apps.

So the question becomes: How full do I want that dustbin to become? If I knew that BB10 was really right around the corner, I would hold off on new app purchases and wait for the superior native BB10 solutions. On the other hand, if I knew that BB had formally abandoned BB10 on the PB, then I'd be inclined to look for solutions now that round-out the device's functionality so that I can extend its usefulness.

Nobody's asking BB to deliver a fully functional BB10 for the PB tomorrow. What we want is clarification on the status of the project so we can plan our app investments accordingly.

RCK
    06-26-13 10:30 AM
    I simply don't understand all that silence. It's a shame how BB management is treating us.
    06-26-13 11:56 AM
    And they are a communication company- how ironic right?
    dphjeff, axllebeer and eddy_berry like this.
    06-26-13 12:19 PM
    It's plane stupid. Doing them absolutely no good - they will undoubtedly lose customers, especially as many PlayBook owners own other BlackBerry products.

I see absolutely no worthwhile reason for their doing this.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 01:21 PM
    Just tweeted...done
    06-26-13 01:25 PM
    Not really. They aid communication between their customers but have no skill at communicating with their customers.
    06-26-13 02:53 PM
    Not really. They aid communication between their customers but have no skill at communicating with their customers.
    Good point.
    06-26-13 03:37 PM
    The BlackBerry forums are community driven and NOT driven by BlackBerry. I doubt the word will reach the important guys.

Isn't that what CB can do for the faithful? They have the ear of BBRY unless they have lost favor with the Mighty OZ.
    06-26-13 03:48 PM
    Isn't that what CB can do for the faithful? They have the ear of BBRY unless they have lost favor with the Mighty OZ.
    I hope they listen or maybe have a look at the forums here on Crackberry! Then again....there has been no news on the PlayBook in months and the forum has been on fire about it!

If there was an award for bad PR blackberry would win that!

It's not like they are Apple who can afford to be mysterious! At least with them you know they cycle and that there will be an update to a device and OS! Come on blackberry!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 04:43 PM
    The PB is now a dead-end product that's been abandoned by a duplicitous company that abused our loyalty in order to beta test an OS they'll never deliver to our community.
    Attached Thumbnails BB10 on PlayBook twitter campaign-loyalty.jpg  
    rupam95 and antiRIM like this.
    06-26-13 05:18 PM
    You can almost read/see a sneer from Thor as he avoids the question. Clintonesque - "what's the definition of it?"
    "I did not have sexual relations with that tablet"
    06-26-13 05:57 PM
    "I did not have sexual relations with that tablet"
    "I never had any relations with that tablet - it was those other guys!"
    06-26-13 06:59 PM
    I changed my sig today. An easy way to keep the issue alive.

Yes, teams of people that they have laid off already. Just because people see something on a roadmap, it does not mean that it will get done when there is nobody left to do it.
    06-26-13 07:19 PM
    As much as I want to see the PB OS upgraded to BB10 when I run the Z10 and then the PB it strikes me that the PB would really struggle if BB10 in it's current configuration was loaded on it.

I fear also that an updated PB may be in conflict with the introduction of Aristo making it redundant or ineligible to continue as a supported BB product.

I suspect the PB will be taken off of life support as soon as BB determines who at HO can or will make that decision.
    06-26-13 07:57 PM
    no, not this crap again. its not gonna happen until dec 31 2013 11:59pm. then maybe if we are lucky we will hear a word or two how it is still in consideration
    06-26-13 08:17 PM
147 12345 ...