I know that BlackBerry has stated that. BB10 is not forthcoming for the PlayBook due to system memory of only 1GB not being enough to run without issues.

My question is could not the storage memory be remapped? Take a portion of the storage to run the OS? Remapping memory on a PC is an old trick. Why could it not be done on the PlayBook? Would anyone miss two or three gigabytes of storage space if they were running BB10?

Just a thought.

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    04-29-14 12:10 PM
    I know that BlackBerry has stated that. BB10 is not forthcoming for the PlayBook due to system memory of only 1GB not being enough to run without issues.

My question is could not the storage memory be remapped? Take a portion of the storage to run the OS? Remapping memory on a PC is an old trick. Why could it not be done on the PlayBook? Would anyone miss two or three gigabytes of storage space if they were running BB10?

Just a thought.

I think we ran into a resources problem of a different kind. The PlayBook barely sold as is, and the hardware is now ancient in mobility terms. It is not worth any sort of development at all in order to get it running. Heck, it wasnt worth it a year ago unfortunately.
    04-29-14 12:34 PM
    Because they were lazy. Plain and simple. (Not the engineers, but the managers etc).
    04-29-14 12:37 PM
    the playbook processor is under powered compared to the S4 pro we have today. it wont be the same smooth experience even if BBSos10 is RAM efficient to run on 1 GB.
    04-29-14 12:37 PM
    This horse is dead. It is what it is/was, and will be nothing more from this point on.
    I have moved on and use my last 2 Playbooks for navi in the car and music to the stereo,
    My Z30 is what the PB should have been, now sporting a Hisense Sero Pro tabby, and I never look back,
    except when I look at my Z30, and am reminded........

c
    Last edited by Carl Estes; 04-29-14 at 02:07 PM.
    Cynycl and q649 like this.
    04-29-14 01:53 PM
    @OP - Thanks! I needed a good laugh...
    04-29-14 01:57 PM

Just a thought.

Ok a real answer - I've thought of this before but ultimately came to the conclusion it would not work.

Sure It could work for all intensive purposes, but the internal memory would wear down extremely fast. Not to mention the read/write speed of onboard storage is much lower than RAM . So when your device gets low on memory it could actually make it slower.

I did this on my windows con punters for a whole, say plug on a sd card and a lot a certain amount to V-Ram....the result was never good

Sent from the ocean using my waterproof Z10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    04-29-14 02:04 PM
    HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?
    You can fake an OS and a browser (although I have no idea how you could with a PlayBook), but you cannot fake a device.
    Last edited by Power Mac; 04-29-14 at 03:47 PM.
    04-29-14 03:37 PM
    How would this bypass the locked Bootloader?
    04-29-14 03:53 PM
    I'm happy with the PlayBook OS. Just wish it was complete and polished. As has been said many times here, it's great potential was never realized.
    04-29-14 04:02 PM
    You can fake an OS and a browser (although I have no idea how you could with a PlayBook), but you cannot fake a device.
    bitter?
    04-29-14 05:53 PM
    Are you sure about that?

Playbook screenshots-

BB10 on the PlayBook a new idea-img_20140126.png

BB10 on the PlayBook a new idea-img_20140127.png
    04-29-14 06:44 PM
    Ok a real answer - I've thought of this before but ultimately came to the conclusion it would not work.

Sure It could work for all intensive purposes, but the internal memory would wear down extremely fast. Not to mention the read/write speed of onboard storage is much lower than RAM . So when your device gets low on memory it could actually make it slower.

I did this on my windows con punters for a whole, say plug on a sd card and a lot a certain amount to V-Ram....the result was never good

Sent from the ocean using my waterproof Z10
    If the OS used 4GB of storage memory in addition to the 1GB of current available system memory there would be no noticeable lag. Nor and "wear on memory". Though a PlayBook would run slower than the BB10 phones it would be a practical possibility to get BB10 out to millions of users and extending the life of the PlayBook. Not to mention the incredible goodwill it would engender amongst current PlayBook users.

Orange UK likes this.
    04-29-14 07:27 PM
    the playbook processor is under powered compared to the S4 pro we have today. it wont be the same smooth experience even if BBSos10 is RAM efficient to run on 1 GB.
    Even the 1.5 ghz LTE/4G model?

The Z3 will have a 1.2ghz processor with 1.5GB of RAM running OS10.2 vs LTE PlayBook with 1.5ghz and 1GB RAM.
    Last edited by thisiscjay; 04-29-14 at 07:50 PM.
    04-29-14 07:39 PM
    It can probably be done... but it needs "resources" to do that... which BlackBerry don't have right now... so, the best business decision is to dump the idea... it's management 101...

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    04-29-14 09:34 PM
    They should overclock the 4430 in the PlayBook. It's capable of 1.2 ghz.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-14 11:34 PM
    Even the 1.5 ghz LTE/4G model?

The Z3 will have a 1.2ghz processor with 1.5GB of RAM running OS10.2 vs LTE PlayBook with 1.5ghz and 1GB RAM.
    Takes more than processor cyclic speed to define processor capability. What chip set ithe z3 supposed to be running? The dual core s4 krait pro is quite capable.
    04-30-14 12:14 AM
    There is a saying that if there is a will, there is a way... and if there is no will, there is no way...

As of now, BlackBerry has no will...

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 02:24 AM
    If the OS used 4GB of storage memory in addition to the 1GB of current available system memory there would be no noticeable lag. Nor and "wear on memory".
    I remain unconvinced of that.

Certain types of flash storage can have it's service life significantly affected by the sorts of access usually made of virtual memory.

Anybody who's had experience of Android OS modding / development, would probably have some exposure as to what's normally done, and in some cases, the downsides to trying to have your cake and eat it.

The bottom line, though - why would they spend any development time and resources on a legacy device? And as the bootloader is locked, and never about to be unlocked, who else could?
    04-30-14 03:44 AM
    Are you sure about that?

Playbook screenshots-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140126.png 
Views:	737 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	266802

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140127.png 
Views:	741 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	266803
    Just how could you be identified as "BlackBerry Tablet"? The devices that you faked do exist, but a "tablet" doesn't.
    05-01-14 06:38 AM
    BB10 "CAN" run on 1GB of RAM!...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=856668

Posted from my Q10 running on 1GB of RAM
    05-01-14 06:44 AM
    Unless BlackBerry opened up the core to change it QNX simply would not play nice with VM.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    05-01-14 07:00 AM
    I'm happy with the PlayBook OS. Just wish it was complete and polished. As has been said many times here, it's great potential was never realized.
    We're still wishing for that from every operating system that ever existed.
    05-02-14 02:26 PM
    Swap memory, as it's called when you use storage as extra system memory is really hard on flash storage. Killed an SD card on my old Nokia N800 doing this. It was also an option on rooted android devices, I tried it on an old advent vega tablet with 512mb ram and it stopped apps being killed in the background slightly but performance was shocking as flash memory is really quite slow.

The playbook is only really good for its Web browser. Just a shame it's JS performance brings certain webpages to a standstill. The omap chip in the playbook is just not upto the job of giving us a really good experience.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 09:10 AM
    The type of flash used in devices like this would not last long at all if you used it as swap space.

Throughput is also very slow compared to PC drives, so the lag would be very, very annoying.

These are not like desktop or laptop computers, which is something that other companies apparently figured out sooner than BB did.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    05-03-14 09:18 AM
35 12