I think it's important for PlayBook fans on CrackBerry.com to be realistic and practical w.r.t. getting BB10 on our beloved PlayBooks.

Personally, I believe that RIM made an error marketing the PlayBook 1.0 as a stand-alone tablet (and just about every tech analyst and gadget blog agrees with me).

...but the PlayBook / BB handset device combo is amazing... well, it WAS amazing, until they cut "Bridge" off at the knees on the BB10 side, so all you get for your PlayBook is basic tethering.

PlayBook OS 2.1 is fine as a stand-alone tablet, with its own email app and so on, so I argue that it doesn't really need an upgrade except to allow it to run BB10 apps, but if BB10 apps require too much of the BB10 OS underneath, more than the PlayBook can handle, where does that leave us?

I don't want my PlayBook to be a third-rate standalone tablet that can't compete with $150 Android tablets in terms of functionality and software: I want it to be an indispensable companion for my Z10.

If PlayBook can regain the Bridge functionality it lost (which is effectively the Web browser surfing on Web pages served by a simple Web server running on the BB handheld) then maybe an OS upgrade isn't all that necessary.

It would be great if BB could leverage bits 'n' pieces of BB10 on a new PlayBook OS, even if it doesn't boast of full BB10 capabilities.

So, let's discuss what we'd call "bare minimum" for a BB10 release on the Playbook.

First and foremost, upgrade the Webkit / browser backbone to the quality of BB10.

Bringing "Bridge" back to its former glory, possibly allowing OTHER apps to expose their data via a Bridge-based interface so we can access data stored on our handhelds through bridge "conduits"

Ability to access BlackBerry Link on my PC to get files off my computer. Being able to make local playlists of music that stream (intelligently, with no undue delay between tracks) music from my personal music library pretty much makes services like Spotify and Pandora obsolete (for me... I buy a lot of music and don't like subscription-based services generally.)

So, let's talk about what we're willing to give up to achieve this:

New software releases for this OS is a pipe dream unless it supports full BB10 "hub" notifications etc. so if what we get is not BB10, but has the best of the BB10 infrastructure, I don't care if any new apps get released, so long as Bridge works, works well, and is maintained indefinitely.

If necessary, sacrifice the stand alone email client on the PlayBook if the notification system etc. being running all the time is too much overhead for 1 GB RAM to tolerate.

If I don't have email and contacts actually on my PlayBook, do I need the Hub? Apps issue notifications, but if I'm Bridged to my Z10, just route notifications to my Z10 and let me see them through the Bridge: so the PlayBook would need some kind of "notifications rerouter" and the BB10 handhelds would need to be able to send a message to the PlayBook.

I'm not sure what else to suggest as expendable, but I think it's worthy of discussion: Perhaps BB will pull an ace out of their sleeve and get fully-functional BB10 running on the PlayBook under 1 GB ram, with adequate performance... but I'd be willing to accept compromises if it meant a better general Web browsing experience and the return of Bridge that I came to really enjoy using.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 05-17-13 at 09:53 AM.
    eddy_berry and disallow like this.
    05-17-13 09:39 AM
    I won't upgrade to the Z10 unless and until they get the Bridge worked out. Need easy outlook interface also. Would already have one if they worked.
    FF22 and Carl Estes like this.
    05-17-13 07:57 PM
    I just saw the mention of Android Jellybean on another thread and thought I'd mention that I, personally, would happily forego Android support on my PlayBook if it meant I could get BB10 on my PlayBook with full Bridge functionality. Skype for BB10 is an Android port, so I guess that rules out Skype, but my experiences with Skype on my Z10 have been so poor that I don't think I even care if I get it on my PlayBook ever.
    amp323 likes this.
    06-13-13 11:56 PM
    I just saw the mention of Android Jellybean on another thread and thought I'd mention that I, personally, would happily forego Android support on my PlayBook if it meant I could get BB10 on my PlayBook with full Bridge functionality. Skype for BB10 is an Android port, so I guess that rules out Skype, but my experiences with Skype on my Z10 have been so poor that I don't think I even care if I get it on my PlayBook ever.
    I could quite happily go the other way - I would forego most of the BB10 options for better Android support. I'd also like the improved browser and the bridge to be up to date (I haven't got a BB phone yet, but have been looking at one for playbook control) beyond that, I'm not sure what else I'd need. The new BBM would be good but not essential, and maybe some of the newer camera functions from BB10 would be nice, but thats all I would really want
    06-14-13 06:38 AM
    I think it's important for PlayBook fans on CrackBerry.com to be realistic and practical w.r.t. getting BB10 on our beloved PlayBooks.
    Yes, better shoot yourself before any one else does...
    BB probably loves all the excuses brought forward by fan(boys) - makes life easier for them!
    06-14-13 07:57 AM
    I don't need HUB and am generally fine with the current UI. Most things I would want have been mentioned here: the much superior BB10 browser, bridge support and updated Android support. If they can update the Android support, we could probably extend the usefulness by sideloading more Android apps. Having had bridge working with an older BB phone, I would like to potentially see an option to answer an incoming call with the PB (either through speaker/mic or through an attached headset). But that last one is a "nice to have" and not necessary...more than happy just getting a popup of who's calling.

I don't think we need a TON of changes, but a general refresh would be good. Oh, and an updated native mail application which lets one "mark previous read".
    06-14-13 08:09 AM
    I won't upgrade to the Z10 unless and until they get the Bridge worked out. Need easy outlook interface also. Would already have one if they worked.
    RESTORE Bridge to original/full functionality, as now it is hobbled. When they resore Bridge, then my feets will be on fire down to VZW for my Z10.....all else is gravy......

C
    FF22 likes this.
    06-14-13 09:41 AM
    Better browser and Bridge restored to its former glory = satisfied for me.

Android comes in second place but it would be a nice touch.

CB10 App, Z10
    FF22 likes this.
    06-14-13 09:48 AM
    The browser is total crap. To say 2.1 is fine is good enough. I will take whatever you're smoking. When you have so much lag on text input 6 second later if spits out what you were typing. It has major issues!!!

This entire it only has 1gb of memory is an excuse. It's total bs. The playbook can easily run BB10. It does not need the hub!

It's funny how the competition can give a road map and hit the dates. Blackberry is always coming soon... How's those big apps coming along? Soon...... It's been several months already..

With my z10 still doing random reboots, I am almost done with blackberry after 6 years. Their leadership is still smoke and mirrors! Blackberry will not deliver bb10 as promised I will kick them to the curb once and for all and cash in my shares!
    Rello likes this.
    06-14-13 09:54 AM
    The browser is total crap. To say 2.1 is fine is good enough. I will take whatever you're smoking. When you have so much lag on text input 6 second later if spits out what you were typing. It has major issues!!!

This entire it only has 1gb of memory is an excuse. It's total bs. The playbook can easily run BB10. It does not need the hub!

With my z10 still doing random reboots, I am almost done with blackberry after 6 years. Their leadership is still smoke and mirrors! Blackberry will not deliver bb10 as promised I will kick them to the curb once and for all and cash in my shares!
    My Z10 no longer does random reboots (10.1.0.2354) - which I'm actually finding a little bit of a shame, now, because it rebooting regularly (it had got to the stage where I hadn't noticed it happening, but must have been happening the odd time, because of the boot time) had been ensuring I didn't get a fairly regular occurrence with a cylical "No voice service" flip-flopping. So now, I have to manually reboot when I see it doing that, otherwise, I can miss calls / texts...

As to my PlayBooks, though, I'm convinced that a combination of usage, configuration, and time / history is what causes lag on the PlayBook. It doesn't need to be that way, although to work around it may be more restrictive than some want.
    06-14-13 10:01 AM
    Yes, better shoot yourself before any one else does...
    BB probably loves all the excuses brought forward by fan(boys) - makes life easier for them!
    While they may be takng their sweet time creating (or not) bb10 for the pb, I'm sure there's a team out there working up the excuses and won't need any help from us. But they may grab one or two of these excuses.
    06-14-13 11:15 AM
    I want the BB10 browser, ability to play BB10 apps, and a functional bridge. Ditch all of the Adobe AIR based native garbage apps and give us Cascades based replacements. I don't nee the Hub with the bridge and some basic e-mail capability like the PlayBook has now. All of that should work with current hardware. I'd be fine if they stipped out Android player too, because all the Android apps suck anyways!
    06-14-13 01:56 PM
    While they may be takng their sweet time creating (or not) bb10 for the pb, I'm sure there's a team out there working up the excuses and won't need any help from us. But they may grab one or two of these excuses.
    Go try to run iOS7 on your I pod touch 4th gen (has same CPU as iPhone 4) then tell me about excuses: no technical reason why iOS 7 shouldn't run on ipod touch 4th gen... unless you include "apple management is a bunch of douchebags" as a "technical" reason.

I don't want my PlayBook to be a third rate android tablet, I want a first-rate all-BlackBerry experience, where the PlayBook is the tablet companion to my Bb10 handheld, and let the PlayBook bargain bin raiders complain how their $99 PlayBook isn't as good an Android tablet as the $200 Nexus 7. Could. Not. Care. Less. I want my PlayBook running BB10 to be what it should have been from the beginning, and can be again: no-compromises NO APOLOGIES BB10 COMPANION. You may disagree... I just think if you want an Android tab, there are plenty of high quality good value options out there, and hoping for the have-your-cake-and-eat-it option to cram Android into the PlayBook MAY be a compromise to appease... well, someone, but if the dev team porting BB10 to the PlayBook would focus on the BlackBerry handheld companion experience, BB10 for PB would probably already be available.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 06-15-13 at 07:17 AM.
    lnichols likes this.
    06-15-13 06:55 AM
    Actually, if BlackBerry somehow started finishing BB10 for PlayBook, they could probably finish it earlier than working out excuses...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-15-13 08:23 AM
    Thought for the day
    Attached Thumbnails BB10 on PlayBook: feature / functionality compromises we'd be willing to accept-uploadfromtaptalk1371305441476.jpg  
    06-15-13 09:12 AM
    Thought for the day
    Oh what kind of adult will you become one day? I visualise that you could be the next king of Canada wherever that is and become a great ruler!

ps could you tell me how many cm in an inch please ruler?
    FF22 likes this.
    06-15-13 09:25 AM
    Oh what kind of adult will you become one day? I visualise that you could be the next king of Canada wherever that is and become a great ruler!

ps could you tell me how many cm in an inch please ruler?
    Do we need to review measurement conversions again?
    Attached Thumbnails BB10 on PlayBook: feature / functionality compromises we'd be willing to accept-uploadfromtaptalk1371307131084.jpg  
    sad_old_man and FF22 like this.
    06-15-13 09:38 AM
    Do we need to review measurement conversions again?
    You never mentioned you knew my sister!
    06-15-13 02:51 PM
    I don't speak for everyone but I would gladly pay for a brand new bb10 tablet for the full bb10 experience without having to sacrifice anything to get it on the current playbook

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    06-15-13 03:43 PM
    Just a small question.....If an operating system 'needs' to piggy back another system on it...to attract...(i assume quality and quantity or apps)....when does it become the other operating system...reminds me of an Amazing Stories comic....they kept replacing an old mans body parts with a robots parts....eventually he became all robot....and they unplugged him.

and medication kicks in................................................ .................................................. ............................now...........
    06-15-13 05:03 PM
    Thought for the day
    Oh, thanks for a good hearty laugh. After schlepping 4 hours up 3,800 feet, half of which was steep snow - I needed it. E X H A U S T E D.
    06-15-13 08:08 PM
    http://static.someecards.com/someeca...U2NWExNjkz.png
    thanks
    -paul
    p.s. this picture says 39K words
    -rw-r--r-- 1 testuser testuser 39K Dec 5 2012 MjAxMi03YWRiNGEzM2U2NWExNjkz.png
    06-15-13 08:47 PM
    Always nice to see how much a different view people can have on these devices.

I personally am getting fed up with this PlayBook. I've had it since day 1 (64GB) and I personally wouldn't recommend it at all......ESPECIALLY if you don't already own a BBOS smartphone.

Bridge,probably the best thing has been crippled for BB10 even though we've been hearing all this hype about qnx devices communicating well with each other. As a stand alone tablet there are much better options (in my opinion). My browser closes constantly, will sometimes just stop loading pages...and although is much better than my 9900's browser, is still slow because it's absolutely terrible with javascript. My keyboard lags a lot for some reason now. Apps (certain ones) take what seems like an eternity just to load up.

BB10 can't come soon enough in my opinion. TabletOS is missing so much basic functionality its ridiculous. Having the better browser and getting rid of all these terrible AIR apps would make me MUCH happier with this tablet. I believe once this tablet gets BB10 and better bridging capabilities (at least on par to what BBOS has) then this tablet will easily be relevant again. I hope it's soon than later cause I'm tired of waiting
    FF22 likes this.
    06-15-13 08:58 PM
    I don't need Android side loading as well.
    06-16-13 08:13 PM
    I don't need Android side loading as well.
    so you don't want more options, more apps, the ability to fiddle around and have fun, the ability to sideload an app before it becomes officially available on bb world if it ever becomes available.

when bb10.2 comes to market, its rumoured to be that android ports won't even be noticable as android ports and really if say an android 4.2 app with the bbui.js overlay for the menu, back button ect I really don't think many would.

Your entitled to your opinion, it is neither right or wrong. I think right now sideloading android apps is pretty sucky considering to get some of the better apps you need the android sdk and a debug token to sign the app.

with blackberry 10.2 I strongly believe thisnis slated for a major change, like I said before the full android cataloug with bbui.js wouldn't be such a bad thing considering bb has had all this time to sort out the android runtime.
    xanderten50 likes this.
    06-16-13 08:24 PM