Sorry but I don't buy it coming much sooner. Kermed stated in his thread a few days ago summer soonest and his post was detailed with lots of good info. Sure we might see a beta in spring but not official for quite a while
    01-07-13 08:21 PM
    Sorry but I don't buy it coming much sooner. Kermed stated in his thread a few days ago summer soonest and his post was detailed with lots of good info. Sure we might see a beta in spring but not official for quite a while
    Well mr moderator lol, I politely disagree... I say we will see something by March 31st...
    01-07-13 08:47 PM
    No disrespect to Kermed but I'm not picking up what he's laying down. The "were have all the high quality apps went" line kinda threw me for a loop. Maybe he's trying to prevent more "is BLACKBERRY10 coming to PlayBook" threads lol.

I'm gonna go with what @BlackBerrydev said about it being ahead of schedule. It just makes more sense to get it out ASAP. Its free marketing ,It looks good on their part,Devs want a union of 2.1 and BlackBerry10 and Rims been trying to cater to Devs. It shows RIM is serious.

BlackBerryDev says its ahead of schedule...we have all seen the road map...so if the Road map shows BB10 for PlayBook between Q1 and Q2 and its ahead of schedule,you would think its gonna land early Q1.

Guess we will all have a better idea here in a couple of weeks.
    tdaye and Sansu94 like this.
    01-07-13 09:09 PM
    I spoke with an old friend of mine lastnight, a senior product manager of blackberry security. He wouldn't confirm or deny the leaked roadmap and said they had not decided on the exact release date of BB10 for the playbook, I couldn't get anymore from him lol
    01-09-13 08:03 AM
    I spoke with an old friend of mine lastnight, a senior product manager of blackberry security. He wouldn't confirm or deny the leaked roadmap and said they had not decided on the exact release date of BB10 for the playbook, I couldn't get anymore from him lol
    He did say he would tell me as soon as he knows.
    01-09-13 08:08 AM
    Come on, folks. The pb has always been on a "release at some point" software update schedule. In other words, rarely has there been much advance notice and mostly it is later than anyone expected.

NEXT FALL!
    01-09-13 09:28 AM
    Does Apple charge to use their proprietary texting service (don't what it's called)? if not then BBM must be free on the PB as well.
    01-09-13 10:03 AM
    Does Apple charge to use their proprietary texting service (don't what it's called)? if not then BBM must be free on the PB as well.
    It's called iMessage and it's free on all Apple devices. I run it on my Mac, iPod and iPhone.

RIM has never charged for BBM (which BTW, is a much better product than iMessage, IMO).
    01-09-13 10:10 AM
    No one here mentioned anything about charging for the upgrade OR BBM.

Sorry, BB-More is talking about how to get revenue from BBM on the PlayBook. As BBM on BlackBerry phones, RIM gets a share of money from charging for people to use BIS or BES. Having it totally open on the PlayBook means they don't have a revenue stream for BBM on the PlayBook
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-09-13 10:18 AM
    Will a new PB need to be purchased to support BB10? Or will be be able to DM it over to our current devices? I'm saving so that i can get a BB10 withy qqwerty and no contract. Not going to be the cheapest thing......Good problem to have
    01-09-13 10:28 AM
    Will a new PB need to be purchased to support BB10? Or will be be able to DM it over to our current devices? I'm saving so that i can get a BB10 withy qqwerty and no contract. Not going to be the cheapest thing......Good problem to have
    Nope, the current lineup of PB's that were bought 20 months ago will get the BB10 update when it comes out.
    bdguru likes this.
    01-09-13 10:50 AM
    I'm going with the Mobile Computing Platform mantra. BB10 needs to come out on PB as soon as possible. If PB or a successor tablet doesn't get mentioned then BB10 OS is just a phone OS. It needs to come out on other devices and be mobile as soon as possible. The best way to ensure BB10 for the PB is to buy the "PB mini" AKA the Z10 when it becomes available.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    01-09-13 11:05 AM
    My guess:

End of presentation:

'Now, some of you are probably asking "but where is the existing user-base? How can I be confident I'm not wasting my time and money porting my application to BlackBerry 10? '

'...well, what if I were to say that we already had an existing user base of well over 2 million customers...?'

[clicks fingers]

'Blackberry 10 is available, now, as an update to all of our existing BlackBerry PlayBook customers'

[applause]

...this just happened in my dreams(!)

Would be a really smart marketing move, though.
    bungaboy, FF22, tryfe and 2 others like this.
    01-09-13 02:50 PM
    They will need a new branded store on the PB in any even. So there will be an update sooner rather than later.
    01-09-13 02:58 PM
    My guess:

End of presentation:

'Now, some of you are probably asking "but where is the existing user-base? How can I be confident I'm not wasting my time and money porting my application to BlackBerry 10? '

'...well, what if I were to say that we already had an existing user base of well over 2 million customers...?'

[clicks fingers]

'Blackberry 10 is available, now, as an update to all of our existing BlackBerry PlayBook customers'

[applause]

...this just happened in my dreams(!)

Would be a really smart marketing move, though.
    Well now. Wouldn't that lift the spirits of the battle weary, dedicated troops.

Thinking positive thoughts and sending good vibes to Thorsten Heins and crew. But, in reality, will get it when we get it.
    01-09-13 03:00 PM
    Well now. Wouldn't that lift the spirits of the battle weary, dedicated troops.

Thinking positive thoughts and sending good vibes to Thorsten Heins and crew. But, in reality, will get it when we get it.
    Indeed... But we'll be a little disappointed if it isn't announced as imminent... Even though it is perfectly understandable if that is the outcome.

Either way, I love my cut-price PlayBook to bits and have been very closely following RIM since purchase - will root for them whatever happens.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    01-09-13 03:16 PM
    I keep hearing Thorstein's word "shortly"... which most reasonable people would interpret as days or weeks, but not months.
    01-10-13 12:18 PM
    I keep hearing Thorstein's word "shortly"... which most reasonable people would interpret as days or weeks, but not months.
    Heh-heh... from long experience, I'm sure you know as well as me that RIM's use of "shortly", "soon", "just around the corner", etc, etc, has rarely if ever tallied with most reasonable people's interpretation of those terms!

I guess we'll know more at the end of the month.
    FF22 and Sansu94 like this.
    01-10-13 02:18 PM
    I doubt we'll even see a beta release for the Playbook until the BB10 phones have been on the market for 1-3 months. Definitely not before the phones are released.
    01-10-13 03:21 PM
    I hear RIM is coming out with a whole new playbook that is thinner and that won't have such a thick boarder around the screen, the old playbook's will be updated to BB10 but that won't take place for another year or until the newer Playbook devices are in the marketplace.
    01-10-13 03:28 PM
    I doubt we'll even see a beta release for the Playbook until the BB10 phones have been on the market for 1-3 months. Definitely not before the phones are released.
    will the PlayBook really need extensive outside beta testing?
    01-10-13 05:03 PM
    Heh-heh... from long experience, I'm sure you know as well as me that RIM's use of "shortly", "soon", "just around the corner", etc, etc, has rarely if ever tallied with most reasonable people's interpretation of those terms!

I guess we'll know more at the end of the month.
    Or 6 month or end of year! I remain, ever, cynically yours,

F2
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-10-13 05:30 PM
    will the PlayBook really need extensive outside beta testing?
    It will NEED it but it probably won't get it.
    01-10-13 05:31 PM
    I desperately want BB10 on my PB!!!
    01-10-13 06:04 PM
    I'd be very disappointed if at least a beta wasn't made available just after the launch. Apple release ios upgrades for past devices simultaneously. I personally wouldn't actually care if I didn't get the bb10 experience, I'd be just as happy with an upgrade which brought over the frameworks needed to run bb10 apps.
    01-10-13 06:06 PM
53 123