, I want to be able to sort browser bookmark.

I don't care what they call it but fix the damn thing already.
    I sort my bookmarks in files on the desk top. Works great. Planning a trip and have useful sites? Save them to a file on the desktop. Traffic sites? Folder on the desktop. Sports sites? Desktop folder. Work related sites? Folder on the desktop.
    02-06-13 05:36 PM
    I love the playbook....i mean they suck at Implementation of the playbook.....
    It's been a great piece of kit for me. I've taken it all over the world. A better native file management system would be nice for email attachments but file apps work pretty well for all other purposes.
    02-06-13 05:40 PM
    That would require a slimmed-down BB10 (whatever that would look like), given that BB10 apparently does not run well on one gig of ram. Are you willing to put up with that?
    Then apparently this was a known issue, and should been stated earlier before people went out and bought those tablets figuring they would get the update, but let's not screw up sales for BB10, we will just not say anything.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-06-13 05:56 PM
    I sort my bookmarks in files on the desk top. Works great. Planning a trip and have useful sites? Save them to a file on the desktop. Traffic sites? Folder on the desktop. Sports sites? Desktop folder. Work related sites? Folder on the desktop.
    That's cool but that's the least of what I want. I don't care if it's PB OS3 or BB10. Fix the dang browser at least. I've had this thing since about launch and it's always coming and sometimes it does but half a year or year later or it just never comes. This is an issue for BlackBerry (might as well be RIM yet) where it's always coming yet never does or when it does it still isn't right.
    sad_old_man and JeepBB like this.
    02-06-13 06:44 PM
    I want a browser that doesn't constantly checkerboard and stall, I want a file system that works, I want to be able to send a file without having to sort thru thousands to find the one I want to send, I want to be able to use IM apps over bridge, I want to be able to sort browser bookmark.

I don't care what they call it but fix the damn thing already.
    Amen. Last night we had some friends over who want to go on a cruise, so I pulled out the PB to check out some cruise lines. Holland America's website opened but I couldn't click on anything, with or without java, flash, etc. There was simply no response, though the website works fine on my laptop and smartphone. Norwegian checkerboarded its way through a few pages before it hung up on one and attention drifted over to a cruise line brochure they had brought. Needless to say, they were impressed as **** with the PB.

Google is now impossible to use in my PB browser, first because the input box blanks out when the home page fully loads (you can see it while the page is loading), and I am unable to sign in to Google at all -- when I enter my email address and password, up pops a message saying 'type mismatch".

But apart from such general unuseability, it's a great browser.

Edit to add: Tried again this morning, after a reboot, with the PB in the same room as the router. Got the Holland America website to work but had to turn off flash and java to get any kind of useable speed out of it. Norwegian site works alright. Google still doesn't work. Had to use Bing.
    Last edited by brianatbb; 02-07-13 at 10:57 AM. Reason: self-explanatary
    kbz1960 and sad_old_man like this.
    02-07-13 10:29 AM
    Amen. Last night we had some friends over who want to go on a cruise, so I pulled out the PB to check out some cruise lines. Holland America's website opened but I couldn't click on anything, with or without java, flash, etc. There was simply no response, though the website works fine on my laptop and smartphone. Norwegian checkerboarded its way through a few pages before it hung up on one and attention drifted over to a cruise line brochure they had brought. Needless to say, they were impressed as **** with the PB.

Google is now impossible to use in my PB browser, first because the input box blanks out when the home page fully loads (you can see it while the page is loading), and I am unable to sign in to Google at all -- when I enter my email address and password, up pops a message saying 'type mismatch".

Occasionally I've had issue with the browser, and maybe a specific website or something.

If it's been repeated, I've gone for my once-in-a-blue-moon reboot, and I can't think of a case where that hasn't fixed it.

Doesn't happen to me very often, because I don't reboot it often at all.
    02-07-13 10:47 AM

I agree. This sucky adobe air based stuff isn't the best idea. Like I said, I love my pb beyond these niggles that should have been fixed long ago. I don't care what they call it, just fix it already.
    02-07-13 10:51 AM
    "1GB of RAM isn't enough to run BlackBerry 10 smoothly"
    Mind setting... to prepare us for some unpleasant announcement...

Anyway, I do agree with other guys... at least, fix the browser... for good...
    02-07-13 11:24 AM
    s_o_m: An illogical answer to a relatively standard question facing any organization trying to decide whether vertical extension of product line is profitable or even necessary for survival. Have another young man.
    You must like pate and if you don't, just mention anything and I will get it for you to have at the party.

That was good, very very good!

The thing is, before we get anywhere near that level of business acumen, RIM need to know two vital things.

1. A company is only as good as it's workforce.
    2. A happy customer is a satisfied customer.

The first knee **** reaction of any fundamentally badly managed company when faced with cost cutting, sorry the modern word is 'down sizing', is to cut staff. The result is immediate but it's a bit like signing your own death warrant. I think this might just be reflected in RIM's share price and the fact that the last ditched attempt at saving the company from the sharks, BB10 is honestly not what we all here expected and it's certainly not wowing any of the tech review sites out there.

We have all waited for this for so long that we actually convinced ourselves that it would be brilliant.

Pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Look after your staff (the good ones)!
    Keep your customer base happy!
    Employ a strong CEO that has his own direction and will not be swayed by pressure from shareholders

I always thought (forgive my age) that Heins was a famous guitar player?
    02-07-13 11:33 AM
    Sad, one must bear in mind that most reviewers have no idea what they're handling. Remember for instance an early knock on the PlayBook was its small power button. Well, the power button rarely needs to be used. This was at odds with the iPad paradigm so it must be a bad thing. There are still folks who lament over a long boot time for the device despite the fact that it never needs to be powered down except perhaps for long storage periods. My point is that no doubt the old paradigms about phone operation still hold sway so some reviewers still don't comprehend the advantages of the BB10 OS. On one thread here, a guy coming from another device complained about gesture inputs and felt the back button is better. Of course, those familiar with the PlayBook UI love the swiping and consider the back button to be quaint.

BB has a tough row to hoe but they're off to a very good start.
    02-07-13 11:49 AM
    Mind setting... to prepare us for some unpleasant announcement...
    Heh-heh... I'm glad that someone else is as cynical as me!

Since I'd first learned that the BB10 phones had 2GB RAM, I've always believed that the PB's 1GB RAM would prove an insurmountable obstacle in bringing BB10 to PB.

Like you, my immediate thought on reading the Crackberry Kevin editorial was that we were being softened-up for "bad news" about BB10 on PB. The ground is already being prepared for us to accept some kind of BB10-lite OS for PB, and it's being presented as a "good thing" because the full BB10 experience would be be too disappointing for us PB owners and no responsible company would want to inflict that ordeal on us long-suffering PB'er.

Near brings a tear to my eye does this display of thoughtfulness.
    02-07-13 12:32 PM
    "1GB of RAM isn't enough to run BlackBerry 10 smoothly"
    Yes, indeed, for the smartphone full BB10 experience (I run the leaked BB10 on my DAa, and I must say there are severe limitations) ...

What I'd want :

1/ A refreshed UI with the look and feel of BB10
    2/ A more competitive browser (HTML5 compliance) <= this may hurt ...
    3/ Full BB10 apps compatibility (provided these apps do not use phone specific features).
    4/ BBID merge capability (2 devices = 1 account)
    5/ An enhanced bridge

What I can live with :
    1/ Limitation of simultaneous running apps to - say - 4 (1/2 concurrent apps for 1/2 memory; cheap count)
    2/ Hub as an "on demand" app and not as a "always rised" system process.

I believe this can be done for current PB versions (and I must say I was pretty convinced - I was told wrong and acknowledge that - we would have see that at BBJAM).
    Then, the full monty for next versions (doesn't have to be a new product, 'just' more RAM and a boosted proc).
    02-07-13 12:45 PM
    I'm thinking that tablets are part of BB's plan as has been explicitly stated by management. However, TH did say that all existing PlayBooks would be updated to BB10. OTOH, he also said that profitability in the tablet space was difficult. Any work done updating the PlayBook OS will benefit future tablet offerings.
    Totally agree. "Mobile Platform" does include a strategy for all mobile platforms including the tablet. And hardware outsourcing is still a possibility. It makes more sense to outsource the tablet than the phone. Their phone has a big user base. Don't get me wrong; the potential is there in the PB tablet and I love my PB. But... to be honest, BlackBerry have more risk in trying to get new tablet hardware to market. If I want BB10 to have a future I'll accept a refreshed OS for the tablet but not new hardware for the next few years.

After that ... if they get over this hurdle and their stock price and market share rise ... then it would be less risky to build on the PB knowledge and experience. In the interim, I would like to see BBRY license the OS to hardware manufacturers to build devices greater than 7". (i.e. not a mobile phone that would compete against BlackBerry's Z and Q). I'm guessing this will be a can of worms in itself, but its one way of staying in the market race and reduce their risk. If BlackBerry stayed out of the tablet hardware market for 3 years ... giving the independents a chance to recoup their costs and investments, it would also enable BBRY to re-enter the tablet market later. As a user, it offers me choice.

The tablet market is very risky for BBRY. Global corporations are watching this space. For them its a cost to provide and support a phone, a laptop and then a tablet. The successful integration of tablet and laptop is one idea actively pursued by many. The alternative is phone + tablet + desktop. But the tablet has to be better than the current crop (iPad included) before Corporations will include it. Once Corporations make a decision, market will be huge (even if you allow BYOD). But the ecosystem for a corporate market is different from the consumer market. Corporations want to reduce choice.
    02-07-13 05:20 PM
    Ridiculous. Most of you anyway. Streaming video right now. Perfect. HD. And better than anyone else.

The rest will sort itself out.
    02-07-13 10:45 PM
    s_o_m: A satisfied customer is a happy customer. Sometimes a tree can be greatly improved by pruning the dead and weak limbs. But do agree you need to keep the good ones and manage well with strong incentives. P�t� de foie gras no - maybe a salmon terrine. Sorry decided to quit the booze for health reasons so will just have black coffee. Maybe since I am in the colonies and you apparently in the motherland and my Learjet is in the shop I better just tender my regrets and will not be at your binge.
    02-07-13 11:23 PM
    Heh-heh... I'm glad that someone else is as cynical as me!

Since I'd first learned that the BB10 phones had 2GB RAM, I've always believed that the PB's 1GB RAM would prove an insurmountable obstacle in bringing BB10 to PB...
    A lot of times, we have to read between lines, my friend...

In fact, as opposed to what other is saying that it don't need 2GB RAM for a device to run BB10 smoothly like our beloved PlayBook, why would you think that great guy like Kevin would mentioned that if it doesn't concerned the PB at all? (and the subject is btw all about PB upgrading to BB10)... and later this year would be enough time for BlackBerry to produce new PB with better hardware specs and then simply announce the discontinue of the current PB but offer a better one with a promise that it will have a more mobile computing and users' experiences i.e. if they still want to continue with the tablet competition... the same strategy they are doing before (remember OS5, 6 & 7?)...

As my mother said, we should still hope for the best... but at the same time, prepare for the worst...
    02-07-13 11:44 PM
41 12