Then I'm certainly not going to count on it ever coming out. By that time, it will be a 2 1/2 year old device. In Tech Years, that's 100 years old.
    PlayBook came out in April 2011 at the end. You're assuming it won't come till the end of the year. Let's just wait and see what happens.
    02-06-13 03:58 PM
    So it's more BS from BlackBerry that our PB will get BB10? If so sad and not good.
    What BS? All they've said is that it's coming. Unless people here were involved in the development and know what the minimum system requirements are of the tuned OS are, let's just wait and see.
    02-06-13 03:58 PM
    Kevin is saying what i think we all have been thinking. I have had it in the back of my mind for along time. The idea Kevin has is great IMO. He was talking about this on the webcast the other night and he is right. If they can get the bb10 games/apps on the PB the experience will probably be better than trying to load bb10, slimmed down or not, on the PB. They mention free RAM on the Z hovered around 800-900 free i think most times meaning that 1GB was basically being used. BB is running up against the laws of computing.
    What BS? All they've said is that it's coming. Unless people here were involved in the development and know what the minimum system requirements are of the tuned OS are, let's just wait and see.
    That BS. We've been hearing for how long now............... Yes all current PB's will get BB10 and that sure doesn't sound like it or if it does it'll be a bastardized version or you won't be able to run more than one thing since the ram will be so friggen low.

I'll wait to pass judgement until it's for sure one way or the other. But I sure as he!! ain't buying anything else from them in the mean time.
    JeepBB and lewcat like this.
    02-06-13 04:12 PM
    RAM requirements on the phone OS are greater than that of a tablet. For instance, no need for the hub on the PlayBook. No need to have 8 running apps (plus the multi faceted hub) when 5-6 are plenty. The phone has to optimized for one handed operation while on the move. Not so the tab.
    02-06-13 04:21 PM
    c'mon BBRY,,, again tap dancing around the issue,,, i can be done, so let it be done,,, i agree w/ some of what Kevin said in that "10" is RAM intensive, he's used it & would know, but i'm sure there's a way to make it work,,, is that BBRY doesn't want to commit the resources, (read money), to something that really wouldn't give a productive ROI???
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 02-06-13 at 05:39 PM.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-06-13 04:23 PM
    They are going to have to come out with some lower end phones which have less ram, cpu than the Z10 so they have to slim the OS anyway..why not just do a version for the existing PB?
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    02-07-13 07:41 AM
    I suspect that is exactly what is going to happen when the phones that are equivalent to the Curve arrive on the market.
    chaosdivine and BB_Bmore like this.
    02-07-13 03:04 PM
    Why go backwards? Why should they release a lower end phone? Keep the quality high.

They are reumoured to be releasing a quad core krait cpu phone (Can't remember the name), I don't think they are gonna go backwards.

They have said they will release BB10 for Playbook, now let's just be patient. Personally I would just like a more customisable interface, but chiefly... the major apps. I am not fussed about social media. But Netflix (and other video services), Skype, google maps/navigation (yes I have it sideloaded), DECENT audio players, decent games are of concern to me.

I might have to buy my wife a Playbook in the states just for video chat. Only concern is PB's are pricey over there, and cheap over here (UK) lol.
    02-07-13 03:35 PM
    I don't think it is going backwards.
    All manufacturers, including Blackberry, have budget phones for people that don't require or want to pay for all of the bells and whistles.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-07-13 05:11 PM
    They will managed to put BB10 on the PlayBook. BlackBerry need to keep on their word. Like we say down here in Mexico. The Oven is not for making Cakes at this moment so they can't give it up yet!!!!
    02-07-13 08:59 PM
    I agree, I wish it were different, but it makes sense for BB to wait. First step launch system is Canada where the people will be somewhat more tolerant of any launch glitches; fix any launch glitches, third launch to the rest if the world, forth monitor and manage the launch and finally, assuming the foregoing goes well, launch BB10 tablet edition.
    02-08-13 12:03 PM
    I don't think it is going backwards.
    All manufacturers, including Blackberry, have budget phones for people that don't require or want to pay for all of the bells and whistles.
    Apple don't.
    02-08-13 06:10 PM
    Apple don't.
    They do now with the iPad Mini and they will with the iPhone Mini. If they want to stay in the game they need to fultfill the low budget market.
    02-08-13 06:21 PM
    I guess it's not that bad but depends how long is later this year. If I get a z10 I guess it might not be that bad for sure.
    02-08-13 08:53 PM
    Apple don't.
    Yes they do, they just keep selling the old phones.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-08-13 09:42 PM
    Reliable sources have indicated that BlackBerry is pushing BB10 release date for Playbook to late 2014, possibly 2015. Initially RIM planned to release BB10 for playbook as early as summer 2013. Then the date was changed to late 2013 or early 2014. However given all the technical challenges and other priorities, mid to late 2014 became a more realistic estimate. Now inside sources are indicating even 2015 may be an optimistic estimate.
    Let's wait and see. I am sure night matter what the date, it will be great because it is 100% Canauk.
    Either you're too funny or you're trying to make people leave RIM ASAP, like right now.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-09-13 12:40 PM
    Reliable sources have indicated that BlackBerry is pushing BB10 release date for Playbook to late 2014, possibly 2015. Initially RIM planned to release BB10 for playbook as early as summer 2013. Then the date was changed to late 2013 or early 2014. However given all the technical challenges and other priorities, mid to late 2014 became a more realistic estimate. Now inside sources are indicating even 2015 may be an optimistic estimate.
    Let's wait and see. I am sure night matter what the date, it will be great because it is 100% Canauk.
    Sorry, if I'm sounding a bit lame, but what extra perks would the BBPB 2 be getting? We already have multiple open aps, etc, so just curious what's missing on the pkaybook. I also got the keyboard. BTW: I have a cheap, basic cell phone and keep everything else on my playbook. Thx
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-09-13 01:07 PM
    In a thread like this there is always at least one rotten apple in the the barrel.
    02-09-13 01:23 PM
    Agree! Bb did a great job with the new devices; however, BB should know they're a bit late in creating something relevant and competitive to today's tech. I'm about to sell my playbook!! But still holding on to it just for the new OS update!
    04-12-13 08:34 PM
    Sorry, if I'm sounding a bit lame, but what extra perks would the BBPB 2 be getting? We already have multiple open aps, etc, so just curious what's missing on the pkaybook. I also got the keyboard. BTW: I have a cheap, basic cell phone and keep everything else on my playbook. Thx
    Ahhhh, a working Facebook app and tons of new apps/games.
    04-12-13 08:49 PM
    I'm just wondering why BBRY would invest in a firmware update to a product that is 2 years old. Having the availability of android apps without side loading would be nice, but I have a difficult time seeing the business model making sense. Perhaps along with a new tablet and having everything under a single OS would make sense, but in today's world this device is getting long in the tooth. BTW, my PB works as well as the day I bought it and beyond a few apps I'd like to have, it's still doing what I wanted when I bought it.
    04-15-13 10:27 AM
    One reason may be; if Blackberry is developing BB10 for a new tablet then it may be easy to update the existing Playbooks, so why not? Other than that, I agree, it seems like a waste of resources.
    This does not mean that I want them to stop.
    04-15-13 10:34 AM
    In a thread like this there is always at least one rotten apple in the the barrel.
    Ok ok I admit it. The only thing is I didn't say anything!!!!!!!! Unfair referee!!!!!!!
    04-15-13 10:39 AM
73 123