View Poll Results: Should RIM introduce multiple models with BB10 or only one phone model with BB10 ?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • One Model

22 18.64%
  • Multiple Models

96 81.36%
    I think that with the capabilities of QNX, they will have the same physical phone but it will be programmed in many different versions so people can pick and choose what features they want. I am sure that is what you eventually see once the bugs are out of it.
    05-02-12 12:30 PM
    There will be multiple BB10 phones, how many, don't know, but more than 1 for sure.
    05-02-12 12:36 PM
    I say one platform BB10-however have the choice between physical keyboard and touch devices...
    05-02-12 01:17 PM
    I need my keyboard.
    05-02-12 06:56 PM
    They should really simplify their phone line-up. For the average person, seeing all the BB7 phones is just a confusing mess. They really only need 3 phones. A high-end all touch device (Torch), a high-end qwerty keyboard device (Bold), and a low-end qwerty keyboard device (Curve). Anything more than that is just superfluous.

+100 to this one with all 3 having touch screens too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    05-02-12 07:46 PM
    2 Models, one with physical keyboard and one pure touch. As simple as that.
    BBplaybookJS and jegs2 like this.
    05-02-12 08:15 PM
    since you stipulated that multiple models = several phones instead of one touch + one keyboard, I voted one model. If there was an option for two models, I would have chosen that instead. I'm not a fan of more than two models though. 3+ models are simply not needed, and cause more problems than not.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    05-02-12 08:30 PM
    I think it would be best to stick with as few hardware configurations as possible, this will make it easier on developers, as they only have to develop one or two configurations of their app. If RIM does what they are doing right now with BB5-7 devices, tons of screen resolutions, CPUs, RAM, etc, they will kill the appeal for developers.
    And I think you are correct
    05-03-12 05:39 AM
    since you stipulated that multiple models = several phones instead of one touch + one keyboard, I voted one model. If there was an option for two models, I would have chosen that instead. I'm not a fan of more than two models though. 3+ models are simply not needed, and cause more problems than not.
    Which is why I didn't vote. I suspect an option for two would by far be the winner
    posadajulian likes this.
    05-03-12 05:43 AM
    They should really simplify their phone line-up. For the average person, seeing all the BB7 phones is just a confusing mess. They really only need 3 phones. A high-end all touch device (Torch), a high-end qwerty keyboard device (Bold), and a low-end qwerty keyboard device (Curve). Anything more than that is just superfluous.
    While i still think they should simplify their line-up to just one high end BB10 full touchscreen phone, i like the way you think except for the names, they should have new names to avoid confusion and to give the new devices a fresh start, curves for example have a bad rep for being crappy phones, also the low end device should be a full touch-screen or just stick to two high end phones, a full touchscreen and a qwerty device, and keep the BB7 for the low end.
    05-03-12 10:11 AM
    Three models to cater for the three markets they have created within the Blackberry brand.
    05-03-12 10:29 AM
    Three models upon launch.

1) high end slab only phone.
    1)mid teir keyboard phone.
    3) torch like phone.

Or go the nokia route like the lumia series.

One high end model
    One mid teir model
    One low end model for emegring markets
    Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    05-03-12 10:41 AM
    Who would only want one model to chose from? That's like saying you want someone else to make all your life decisions for you. I love how they have a whole slew of phones to choose from! Having only one would disappoint so many users. Some prefer the bold 9000/9900 form factor, many love the 97XX size and feel, or the 9800/9810 size was good to me while I used it.

As it is, they don't have that many phones that are current. They just have a lot of older models that are quality and still in service. I know someone who still has a big blue 7000 series. They love it - not because its super new and awesome and zomg it has skypes - but because they can rely on it and it hasn't let them down.

If you want someone to make your choices for you, there's already a manufacturer that would love to have you join their iArmy of close-minded haters/crap-talkers (not assuming or generalizing, that's been proven to myself many times in the wilds as well as on CB forums). If you want more choice than you could even fathom, there's a greenbot ready to beam you up! However if you want enough choice to be different and still keep that quality Blackberry feel and function, you know where to get it.
    People aren't saying that they don't want choice. They're saying that RIM should simplify their line-up to:

1. have less confusion for users
    2. take advantage of economies of scale (R&D, manufacturing, marketing, etc.)
    05-03-12 12:59 PM
    2 touch and slider. Keep the screen the same size.
    05-03-12 01:01 PM
    People aren't saying that they don't want choice. They're saying that RIM should simplify their line-up to:

1. have less confusion for users
    2. take advantage of economies of scale (R&D, manufacturing, marketing, etc.)
    If you're confused by all what.. 4 models of current blackberry phones? (Torch, Bold, Curve, and the all-touch Torch) then maybe you should just buy an iPhone. I dont find it to be confusing. If people aren't going to put any research into what they are actually purchasing then they don't deserve to be making a great purchase anyways.

Blackberries are all similar, it's not like they need to promote more than 1 platform. It's blackberry. The OS is the same. They'd be better off having different ways for people to use it then sticking to ONE design which maybe you would like but I wouldn't. How is that hard to understand? You're not still confused by the multiple models thing are you?
    05-14-12 02:30 PM
    Not confusion for me but how much do we hear that developers don't like developing for blackberry because there are several screen sized, keyboard, no keyboard etc. I think they need to slim it down or the developers are going to say no thanks once again. Too hard to support so many different models.
    05-14-12 05:12 PM
    A bold type of course!
    Agree. Would pick up a Bold with BB 10.
    05-14-12 05:17 PM
    release an all touch model and a physical keyboard model
    05-14-12 06:31 PM
    I think 2 would do.
    One all touch, the other 9900 style, or maybe a slider.
    I think there have been too many models.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    05-14-12 06:35 PM
    I say three devices... One all touch, one bold style (same aspect ratio) and one entry level for emerging markets or cheap option in mainstream....Having only one alienates RIMs core keyboard lovers or the obvious market need for all touch. Don't follow the other fruit by destroying individualism or the robot by being all over the place. Happy medium
    I totally agree that they need an all touch and a physical form factor. I also agree that they need a cheap model for emerging markets, but they can meet these needs with only two phones.

Make two phones in 2012 (both high end, one of each form factor with exact specs).
    Make two phones in 2013 and sell the 2012 (with last years specs) phones at a lesser rate similar to apples model.

This allows rim to only release high end merchandise every year but gives low end markets and companies that just need to get a "blackberry" into employees hands an affordable option that isnt too different from the current model.

Also ditch the stupid model numbers, its confusing to anyone who doesnt review phones for a living.
    05-14-12 07:57 PM
    I voted multiple. I know there have been a number of posts on reducing the amount of device models available for BB10. I am of two minds on that. With earlier BB OS, it did sort of get confusing. The device lines (Bold, Curve, Style, etc..) were easy enough to remember, but those numbers!!! It was enough to drive a guy to droid

Mostly when you had those EOL devices from the previous OS that people were always requesting if they could somehow upgrade to the latest OS (Sort of what is happening with some people who bought an OS 7.1 device) People who swear they can load a stripped down version of BB10 and force it on a current device.

BB10 will be a little different. The seamless experience they (RIM) seem to be going for will certainly work in for them. They can focus on delivering the right handsets because the heart (OS) is already built. Can't really be sure what to expect, but I would like to see:
    BB10 Flagship All touch and a physical KB.

low end devices with the same all touch and physical KB

One slider and the PlayBook. Should be all they need.
    05-14-12 08:06 PM
    Just for you all's pleasure, feast your eyes on the majesty that is BB10!

BlackBerry 10 home screen and launcher officially previewed by RIM -- Engadget
    05-14-12 08:10 PM
    Just for you all's pleasure, feast your eyes on the majesty that is BB10!

BlackBerry 10 home screen and launcher officially previewed by RIM -- Engadget
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...t-look-723712/
    05-14-12 08:26 PM
    Meh, looks like my wife's HTC Droid. Now throw a physical keyboard in the mix, and you'll peak my interest.
    05-15-12 02:17 PM
    They need to cover the top, mid and low end market...just like they do now.
    05-15-12 06:26 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD