Hey everybody,

I was asking myself, if, now that they stopped developing BB10 for PlayBook, there is any chance to see a new version of PlayBook OS with

full-featured BBBridge
    BBM
    a faster browser
    upgraded Appworld with video and music
    DLNA functionality
    BB10like keyboard

There should be some capacities available now, the PBOS is working well and most of the stuff we PlayBook users would like to see, seems to be more or less easy to add.

Phil
    06-29-13 07:33 AM
    Welcome to the Forums. I think they declared the PB as DOA so it's hard to say whether any further development will occur
    06-29-13 07:36 AM
    Welcome to the Forums. I think they declared the PB as DOA so it's hard to say whether any further development will occur
    I would disagree. Thorsten was pretty clear that they will still be developing on the current OS
    06-29-13 07:39 AM
    I would disagree. Thorsten was pretty clear that they will still be developing on the current OS
    You're more of an optimist then me. You're really going to take him at his word? I think you can actually get video of him saying BB10 will come to the PB.
    06-29-13 07:43 AM
    Do you guys still believe Mr. Thorsten Heins? He has proved that he is a big liar and an incompetent CEO, just like the previous two CEOs of this company. Save yourself from more frustration, this is just the end. I'm sure, by the next year, this company will be history and out of the business. That's what liars and incompetent people working at BlackBerry deserve.

RIP BlackBerry.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-29-13 07:50 AM
    @ Th. Heins: may be he was honestly hoping his guys get BB10 to work for the PlayBook. He is RIGHT in stopping developments, when he sees, that this won't work nearly perfect. I like his iGod like attitude to put well working things on the market. Anyways...

@ PBOS: I believe the PlayBook to be a good device with still a good potential if the OS takes advantage of it.

So, what is realistically possible with the PlayBook and what would make sense for BBRY to earn money?

Phil

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 08:02 AM
    It was said BB10 would not be coming but that the PB "would still be supported."
    With all of the negative comments flying I would think it would not be too soon for someone FROM BlackBerry to come forward and explain what this support is going to be. Will it be 2.1 fixes?
    With the carrier delays of BB10.1 for the Z10 and now the PB announcement they need to do something. Otherwise the rumor mill will run rampant and it can only get worse.

Posted via CB10
    lorax1284 likes this.
    06-29-13 08:04 AM
    And just like Abe, old Thor cannot tell a lie.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-29-13 08:08 AM
    Mr. Heins only stated that the company would continue to "support" the PlayBook. I would interpret that to mean that warranty and service work will continue for a period of time, nothing else. In the face of continuing albeit reduced losses, development for the PlayBook and any successor tablet were too big an expense to undertake.

Mr. Heins prepared the way by declaring a couple of months ago that "tablets would be gone in five years". At about the same time, the promise of BB10 for the PlayBook shifted to "later in the year" to total silence.

Mr. Heins also declared that the company would restrict itself to no more than six devices on the market. That means the tablet had to fight against phones and at RIM / BB, the tablet lost.

Bottom line - there will be no further improvements to the OS, no bugfixes, and no improvements to the native browser. The tablet is still usable and I will continue to use mine until it no longer works. In the meantime, the best way forward is to find a decent replacement in mobile computing. I hope RIM unlocks the device so enthusiasts and hobbyists can make their own improvements or even load another OS, but I doubt that will occur.
    Last edited by Enyigma; 06-29-13 at 08:50 AM.
    FF22 and JeepBB like this.
    06-29-13 08:17 AM
    @ Th. Heins: may be he was honestly hoping his guys get BB10 to work for the PlayBook. He is RIGHT in stopping developments, when he sees, that this won't work nearly perfect. I like his iGod like attitude to put well working things on the market. Anyways...

@ PBOS: I believe the PlayBook to be a good device with still a good potential if the OS takes advantage of it.

So, what is realistically possible with the PlayBook and what would make sense for BBRY to earn money?

Phil

Posted via CB10
    They will never release another product or OS if it has to be perfect. I've yet to see them or anyone have a perfect one.
    Lendo likes this.
    06-29-13 08:18 AM
    REALLY????

06-29-13 08:19 AM
    What I meant is perfectly enough to compete....

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 08:23 AM
    What I meant is perfectly enough to compete....

Posted via CB10
    Let's just say, at this time and age the PB in any OS guise will never be competitively perfect.
    06-29-13 08:43 AM
    No one will mind a BB10 diet verison or an update to the runtime and os browser.If they cant put bb10 on this hardware fine TELL US,TELL US THE TRUTH.COMMUNICATE WITH US.

Heres's the thing if they put out a statement stating whats happening ,and there's an actual update coming.People will considered buying a bb10 tablet this is a niche little product if they can make an update to PB now even though its not bb10.They could easily get the 2 million or so users to buy the next tablet its a niche product.There's alot of PB users this is a good little earner ,extra money in the pocket.Why would you deny yourself of extra money in the pocket??.People could just make a order online website and get there PB sent to them within a week or two.I want a PB10 playbook with nice specs but with this poor,poor communication ,and statements and lack of assurance why would I invest in any other BB product outside of phones.

Because of this any product BB try to launch thats not phone based no one will trust it now.With no statements,explaination addressing anything.They just messed themselves up on future products and customer trust.Its embarrasing a big company with marketing,PR teams and you cant even see things, they have handled this so badly on all fronts.When a noob consumer can make better judgement calls then people in the company you aint running a good ship.

No clarification statement till now is terrible.There should of been a statement put out yesterday a couple hours after Thors comments this really poor manangement.They just shot themselves in the foot now belief in products is now really low amongst loyal fanbase of all people.

Without statements of any kind delivered quickly this is just failure allround.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 06-30-13 at 06:19 AM.
    kbz1960 and Enyigma like this.
    06-29-13 08:49 AM
    You're mixing up my posts, Vurhan. On one hand I'd like to see a development on the PBOS and some features to be added. Im aware of the PB being not up to date anymore, but it could perform better.
    On the other hand I like Mr. Heins for not throwing unfinished and too buggy stuff on the market.

Phil

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 08:54 AM
    You're more of an optimist then me. You're really going to take him at his word? I think you can actually get video of him saying BB10 will come to the PB.
    For the record, here's the famous video: RIM CEO Speaks Out on BlackBerry 10, Tablet Market - CNBC Skip to 5:42 for the PlayBook references and 6:32 for the flat out lies.

Q: (CNBC Announcer) "So if I could follow up, you say the same as Blackberry 10. does that mean you will scrap the Playbook entirely and start over with a new tablet?"
    A: (Thorsten) "No. Uh, what we will be doing is, the teams are working on this, we will take it the other way around. We will provide Blackberry 10 software updates for all of the Playbooks that are out there. So the Wi-Fi and 4G version, they will all be upgradable to Blackberry 10."
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 06-29-13 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Added transcript
    FF22, antiRIM and Lendo like this.
    06-29-13 08:57 AM
    Thorsten said that before this huge unexpected quarterly loss and the following message that they would halt future development of new playbooks.

You can make a pretty good case that if they aren't investing in any new playbooks they won't bother putting much in this one.
    06-29-13 09:22 AM
    This forum survived by PlayBook when everything in BB10 is conceptualized... and BlackBerry (a.k.a. RIM) stayed relevant during their dark hours because of PlayBook... and the real reason for that is because someone, like us, bought the PlayBook and hold on to what they promised for them not to be forgotten and fulfill it...

If the PlayBook hardware is really the main issue, they knew this from the very beginning even before Z10 went publicly... they just only used the PlayBook and its users... until they got what they want...

Posted via Z10
    06-29-13 09:25 AM
    Huh! It has as much chance as that last promise/statement/hedge - bb10 will be coming to the pb. That really panned out. They have no money so will they invest in what they have already declared a waste?
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-29-13 10:16 AM
    It was said BB10 would not be coming but that the PB "would still be supported."
    With all of the negative comments flying I would think it would not be too soon for someone FROM BlackBerry to come forward and explain what this support is going to be. Will it be 2.1 fixes?
    With the carrier delays of BB10.1 for the Z10 and now the PB announcement they need to do something. Otherwise the rumor mill will run rampant and it can only get worse.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe it means that BBWorld will still remain open for another month or two!
    06-29-13 10:18 AM
    And just like Abe, old Thor cannot tell a lie.
    Ahem, but that was George!
    06-29-13 10:19 AM
    You're mixing up my posts, Vurhan. On one hand I'd like to see a development on the PBOS and some features to be added. Im aware of the PB being not up to date anymore, but it could perform better.
    On the other hand I like Mr. Heins for not throwing unfinished and too buggy stuff on the market.

Phil

Posted via CB10
    Realistically, the most I would expect of them would have to be bug fixing updates.
    06-29-13 10:40 AM
    I was told yesterday by BB technical support that no further updates or patches will be provided for the playbook. There is an issue where the playbook cannot obtain and IP address from the DHCP server on the wifi hotspot on the 9900 latest software 7.1.0.912. They confirmed this is bug. They said that they would most likely fix it in the 9900 patch and push it to the carriers. Since all my other devices (Windows, Mac, Linux) can connect to the 9900, I asked if they could just patch the playbook. He said there are no patches coming to the playbook.

You cannot trust what Thor says.
    06-29-13 10:44 AM
    I was told yesterday by BB technical support that no further updates or patches will be provided for the playbook.
    He said there are no patches coming to the playbook.
    Oh wow, that sounds pretty negative... thanks for your reply...

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 10:49 AM
    Let's make peace, finally, and move on.
    Reality is too fast paced to dwell in the past. No matter how you address PB future updates/upgrades it will never have a chance against never devices and newer technology.
    (Did we really expected BB10 on PB to happen? Or it was just our wishful thinking all that time.)
    Last edited by Eli.Bret; 06-30-13 at 05:33 PM.
    06-29-13 10:49 AM
32 12