I'm worried that the release of BlackBerry 10 is going to signal the end of the BlackBerry PlayBook.

For me, things on the BlackBerry platform are great right now. In my pocket I have my phone. Small, light, amazing battery life and awesome messaging experience. Then, for those moments when I need/in a position to use a bigger screen for browsing the web, reading emails, playing games, I pull my PlayBook out of my bag and use the awesome Bridge functionality.

The PlayBook is less of a tablet to me and more of an extra display for my phone.

I love this whole experience. This is perfect for me and the way I want to do things. I *don't* want the one device that does all. Different form factors/input devices are good for different things and the BB Phone/Playbook combo with bridge demonstrates this perfectly.

Herein lies my worry. The PlayBook feels to me to be an experiment by RIM. An attempt to fill the BB10 App World ready for its release. That the awesome bridge, extending, functionality that I love was designed to make up for the lack of features in its current phone OS, rather than cleverly extend its functionality as I use it.

Does this mean that once BB10 is released, and we have slate QNX based touch-smart phones that the PlayBook project is no longer required?
    vpblaze likes this.
    06-04-12 01:04 PM
    I'm worried that the release of BlackBerry 10 is going to signal the end of the BlackBerry PlayBook.

For me, things on the BlackBerry platform are great right now. In my pocket I have my phone. Small, light, amazing battery life and awesome messaging experience. Then, for those moments when I need/in a position to use a bigger screen for browsing the web, reading emails, playing games, I pull my PlayBook out of my bag and use the awesome Bridge functionality.

The PlayBook is less of a tablet to me and more of an extra display for my phone.

I love this whole experience. This is perfect for me and the way I want to do things. I *don't* want the one device that does all. Different form factors/input devices are good for different things and the BB Phone/Playbook combo with bridge demonstrates this perfectly.

Herein lies my worry. The PlayBook feels to me to be an experiment by RIM. An attempt to fill the BB10 App World ready for its release. That the awesome bridge, extending, functionality that I love was designed to make up for the lack of features in its current phone OS, rather than cleverly extend its functionality as I use it.

Does this mean that once BB10 is released, and we have slate QNX based touch-smart phones that the PlayBook project is no longer required?
    The PlayBook is slated for a BlackBerry 10 OS update,

If the PlayBook was to be scrapped, RIM Software Development would not waste time to update the current OS to a more cascade-e (yes I'll start using the word "Cascade-e" from now on deal with it folks ) experience as well as updating some core functionality.
    yanicmb and kidkamel like this.
    06-04-12 01:11 PM
    The fact the BB10 will be update to the Playbook should allow even better integration with your current phone. I for one love the Bridge, but I also love the calendar, contact and mail in playbook...now if these sync perfectly with your phone without any additional steps...to me that's a hit right there.
    06-04-12 01:15 PM
    I would guess not.. BB10 is just a mobile platform like Android.. imo A phone whether 4� or more will never replace the screen size and usability of a tablet.. and anything larger is no longer a comfortable phone( hint: they call it the note atm..)
    Pretty sure RIm will continue the playbook or rename and create a new line of tablets..
    and pretty sure they wouldn't put in sooo much effort in something they planned to scrap in a few months.. updates.. android app player etc..
    Last edited by GreyGhostRos; 06-04-12 at 01:19 PM.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    06-04-12 01:16 PM
    The fact the BB10 will be update to the Playbook should allow even better integration with your current phone. I for one love the Bridge, but I also love the calendar, contact and mail in playbook...now if these sync perfectly with your phone without any additional steps...to me that's a hit right there.
    That's true I guess. However, what I love right now is that my PlayBook doesn't sync with my phone. The data is pulled straight off it. That's great for security and ease of use as well as being a pure example of this whole "second display for your phone" idea that I'm so happy with.
    miker476 likes this.
    06-04-12 01:18 PM
    I would guess not.. BB10 is just a mobile platform like Android.. imo A phone whether 4� or more will never replace the screen size and usability of a tablet.. and anything larger is no longer a comfortable phone( hint: they call it the note atm..)
    Pretty sure RIm will continue the playbook or rename and create a new line of tablets..
    But the beauty lies in that the PlayBook is not just a big BlackBerry Phone. And neither is the phone just a miniature PlayBook. Both do their jobs brilliantly, and with bridge, data is shared between them so elegantly and without any "syncing" required.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    06-04-12 01:19 PM
    That's true I guess. However, what I love right now is that my PlayBook doesn't sync with my phone. The data is pulled straight off it. That's great for security and ease of use as well as being a pure example of this whole "second display for your phone" idea that I'm so happy with.
    I agree, but I wish they gave you the option of doing one or the other. I use the Bridge function on my PlayBook frequently... but would also love to be able to sync contacts with my handset, sync my calendar entries, etc.... either through desktop sofware or wirelessly (preferred). I don't want to have to manually add a new contact to my PlayBook address book each time and I don't want to have to jump through hoops to get them to sync... I just want it to work.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    06-04-12 01:27 PM
    so ..the BB10 won't be integrated within the playbook ?
    06-04-12 01:31 PM
    so ..the BB10 won't be integrated within the playbook ?
    The Playbook will get BB10.

And there will be BB10 phones.

These will (most likely) communicate seamlessly with each other similar to how BB phones now and the playbook communicate.
    06-04-12 01:35 PM
    If that was the case; why launch a 4G PlayBook? As long as R.I.M is in business they will continue to improve on the PlayBook functions as well as find creative ways to integrate their BB10 to it. My $0.02
    06-04-12 01:38 PM
    The Playbook will get BB10.

And there will be BB10 phones.

These will (most likely) communicate seamlessly with each other similar to how BB phones now and the playbook communicate.
    thanks..that's good news... and at last someone answered my question
    06-04-12 01:38 PM
    If that was the case; why launch a 4G PlayBook? As long as R.I.M is in business they will continue to improve on the PlayBook functions as well as find creative ways to integrate their BB10 to it. My $0.02
    That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. I guess after reading these comments, the point of this thread was more "BB10=The end of Bridge?" than the end of PlayBook.
    Last edited by frood2012; 06-04-12 at 01:43 PM.
    bbfan1040 and miroozy like this.
    06-04-12 01:41 PM
    I am very much looking forward to using BB X with Bridge!
    06-04-12 01:51 PM
    I heard that BlackForest (10" PlayBook) is still in the plans... so no its not dying/dead etc.
    06-04-12 02:08 PM
    Title should read "BB10 = Playbook End Game!"
    sleepngbear likes this.
    06-04-12 02:10 PM
    BB10 will absolutely not be the end of PlayBook. But I fear that Windows 8 is gonna give us some major headaches.
    06-04-12 02:13 PM
    How could they scrap the playbook when it's slated to get blackberry10? The playbook came out with specs so good that it will be around for blackberry10 and possibly even blackberry11

Here's a question : will the playbook get the awesome camera that will be on blackberry10 handsets?
    CairnsRock likes this.
    06-04-12 02:45 PM
    If you're referring to the time lapse photo editting, it has been reported as software related (Scalado) and should come over with the BB10 PlayBook update (as long as it is not a gimp update).
    06-04-12 02:51 PM
    The PB is finished, with or without BB10. People forget that RIM is losing money on these devices so why should they make more? And if they charge more for profit, why would people buy them instead of Android or Apple? BB10 has to be The Mother of All OSes in order to change people's minds. Do you really really think X will bring in the new era of tablet OS? I don't think so either. They are losing money. Cash burning projects like the PB will be cut as RIM focus on their core products. The PB is a failed (saleswise) experiment.
    06-04-12 03:00 PM
    The PB is finished, with or without BB10. People forget that RIM is losing money on these devices so why should they make more? And if they charge more for profit, why would people buy them instead of Android or Apple? BB10 has to be The Mother of All OSes in order to change people's minds. Do you really really think X will bring in the new era of tablet OS? I don't think so either. They are losing money. Cash burning projects like the PB will be cut as RIM focus on their core products. The PB is a failed (saleswise) experiment.
    I smell Sulphur..........

C
    06-04-12 03:11 PM
    BB10 will be a pb rebirth of sorts.
    06-04-12 03:32 PM
    It definitely won't be the end, as posted above, too many statements from RIM about 10 being on the PB. Definitely looking forward to it. Don't worry about it.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    06-04-12 03:36 PM
    OP: A tablet (any tablet) is not a phone (any phone)

Even if BB10 QNX phones are great they will further uses (via bridge) for PB QNX tablets.

Long live the tablet: Small size phone screens do not render the same amount of information as a tablet.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    06-04-12 04:32 PM
    What advantages does the QNX microkernal bring into all this? Power savings? Tasksharing over different hardware?
    06-04-12 04:37 PM
    PB is the essence of BB10 !
    And why do you think RIM hooked that much to a device that has been so difficult to launch ?
    You may read this : http://forums.crackberry.com/general...-shows-728066/ ; can help !

I believe BB10 PB+phone experience will be something ... over the top.
    mandony likes this.
    06-04-12 05:22 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD