Hi!

Last week I bought a Playbook because I believed that it was still recieving BB10. I however learned that was not the case. Although, now that news has come up about a possible buyout, I do want to ask you guys what do you think will happen to us BB Playbook Users if someone such as Microsoft purchases R.I.M.?

Thanks in Advance,
    Christian
    08-12-13 08:35 PM
    BB came out publically & said ther will be no further support for playbooks,,, that being said, you still have a great device,,, i highly recommend installing the origami browser available in appworld & pick up all the other freebies you can get your hands on,,, soon there'll be a fire sale on pb apps,,, keep your eyes open...
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-12-13 08:52 PM
    Blackberry should just give all PlayBook owners $50 promo code to buy apps from App World (PB version, that is).
    08-12-13 08:55 PM
    I see you did no research before buying your device... although, you say you though it would be receiving BB10... doesn't add up. If you were some clueless customer, you wouldn't even know about BB10. I would say return the device and get a refund while you still can... UNLESS, the device meets your needs right now. Then by all means, keep it.
    08-12-13 08:56 PM
    Hi!

Last week I bought a Playbook because I believed that it was still recieving BB10. I however learned that was not the case. Although, now that news has come up about a possible buyout, I do want to ask you guys what do you think will happen to us BB Playbook Users if someone such as Microsoft purchases R.I.M.?

Thanks in Advance,
    Christian
    Wow.... umm... about 2 months ago it was announced that it will not receive bb10, and rim is non existent anymore it's called.... BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 08:59 PM
    I see you did no research before buying your device... although, you say you though it would be receiving BB10... doesn't add up. If you were some clueless customer, you wouldn't even know about BB10. I would say return the device and get a refund while you still can... UNLESS, the device meets your needs right now. Then by all means, keep it.
    I'm not a completley clueless customer, I just follow other companys more than i do them. I knew about BB10 because I do follow Blackberry a little bit and assumed that it would come to all devices. Also, i'm sorry for calling them R.I.M . It will fit my needs for now. I was just wondering if when someone buys it, could they revive the Playbook OS, maybe give us OS 3. Thats all.

Thanks for the replies!
    Christian
    08-12-13 09:06 PM
    I would not count on any updates for the pb no matter who eventually owns or liquidates them.

Actually, I would count on NO updates. It is what it is.
    kbz1960 and Chrysalis1156 like this.
    08-12-13 09:25 PM
    I'm not a completley clueless customer, I just follow other companys more than i do them. I knew about BB10 because I do follow Blackberry a little bit and assumed that it would come to all devices. Also, i'm sorry for calling them R.I.M . It will fit my needs for now. I was just wondering if when someone buys it, could they revive the Playbook OS, maybe give us OS 3. Thats all.

Thanks for the replies!
    Christian
    Sorry bud, not trying to shoot you down or anything but one thing is for sure, no updates for the PlayBook is 100% truth.

Best case scenario, lets say a company buys BlackBerry and decides to do something with tablets again; they are going to make a brand new tablet and have nothing to do with the old one.

Posted via CB Forums iOS app
    08-12-13 09:30 PM

Thanks for the replies!
    Christian
    I doubt the roadmap will change much regarding all BB devices. New management will just blame the playbook debacle on former management and move on. No one will want to dwell on an old issue, especially a money losing venture. Unless someone has the vision to think that a new and improve playbook is relevant and able to give the current top tablet a run for it's money. Given the bad reputation of playbook, the media is going to have a field day if BB is going to launch another tablet. Current playbook owners will be gun shy to fall for it again. All in all, BB has paint itself to the corner regarding tablets. Damn if they do and damn if they don't.
    08-12-13 09:34 PM
    Hey, I'm just thinking.. probably someone was lying about "BB10 is NOT coming to PlayBook".. maybe that guy in two months suddenly would tell us that the BB10 is ready for the Playbook.. lies after lies right?!
    LOL...

Yume no naka...

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 09:35 PM
    I hate when people can word a damn thread title correctly. "Upcoming buyout" isn't the same as "possible buyout" holy crap!

Z10? Why yes it is.
    08-12-13 09:37 PM
    If Dell bought BB, I could see Dell experimenting with various form factors: there's that XPS 12 that's got the screen that flips around... so imagine a full tablet sized device running BB10, but you can flip the screen around and have a full keyboard / touchpad / touchscreen to compose long documents etc. These types of devices are just what BB10 needs to serve their "mobile computing" strategy. Imagine being able to walk through a manufacturing facility with a BB10 tablet like device, then when you get back to the office, flip the screen and use the machine to compose the reports with a full keyboard / mouse using the data entered on the touchscreen... on a machine based on QNX with direct "internet of things" connectivity to the robots on an assembly line etc. Not a consumer application, no, but isn't this kind of scenario what BB is moving towards?
    08-12-13 09:43 PM
    Hi!

Thanks in Advance,
    Christian
    Playbook owners have been the equivalent of a rented donkey for Blackberry. We've been beaten, abused and sent to the barn with no food since pretty much day 1. If your Playbook is useful now, great. That is exactly how useful it will be. You likely won't ever see an update, new gizmo or gadget, increase in compatability with BB10.
    FF22 and Carl Estes like this.
    08-13-13 12:10 AM
    Regrettably, the rest of the company is following hard on the steps of the PlayBook towards irrelevance or oblivion. I still have great hardware which I use all the time and the Origami browser has been a most welcome contribution to keeping the tablet going. Any further support for the PlayBook will have to come from the community since the company itself is pretty much done.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-13-13 12:49 AM
    ...if someone such as Microsoft purchases R.I.M.?
    Nobody will buy the hardware not from scrap either.
    Times for mobiles with extra keyboard just for secure email and text is over.

Felt analyst Jeffrey Schreiner yesterday on CNN ( analogous):
    "The fish is already bleeding to death. No need for sharks wasting power on it"

RIM is not desperate, they pocketed 3.1 billion in cash from its customers.
    Probably 'research motions' on Bahamas's beauties next and only
    08-13-13 01:17 AM
    whatever it is. the playbook is still a nice device. although in my part of the world is a lil bit difficult to buy the 4G LTE.
    08-13-13 01:24 AM
    I would not count on any updates for the pb no matter who eventually owns or liquidates them.

Actually, I would count on NO updates. It is what it is.
    Actually I'd be even more worried for the Z10/Q10/Q5 now!
    08-13-13 01:37 AM
    Actually I'd be even more worried for the Z10/Q10/Q5 now!
    Good point.. although BBRY would face a huge sh*tstorm if they gave the finger to people who just bought Z and Q phones. We're talking massive lawsuits and the complete destruction of the company. Only die-hard BBRY fans are buying Blackberry phones these days and that would be the final straw for them.

It's like the downtrodden housewife who finally blows a gasket and pumps some .45 slugs into her husband. She's put up with a lot but once it finally crosses the line there's hell to pay.

I think abandoning the shmucks who've stuck around to buy BB10 devices would be crossing that line.
    08-13-13 03:25 AM
    BlackBerry puts up 'for sale' sign, with Fairfax emerging as potential buyer - The Globe and Mail

Looks like Blackberry will be lucky to stay a viable company. It may be purchased for the IP. Playbook revival? I would say chances are approximately 0.00%
    08-13-13 06:50 AM
    Looks like Blackberry will be lucky to stay a viable company. It may be purchased for the IP. Playbook revival? I would say chances are approximately 0.00%
    I'll go out on a rotting tree limb and say the probability of a revival of the BlackBerry PlayBook is -oo (negative infinity). We, the early adopters of the BlackBerry PlayBook as a signal of support for the company, have been rewarded by a barbed broomstick up our posteriors.
    08-13-13 07:10 AM
    The playbook was DOA, lacking basic apps and features. BlackBerry added some functionality over time, but it was too little, too late.

Given that BBRY loves to make outlandish statements like: "professional grade tablet " "we are going to blow the competition out of the water" "we are delaying the next generation of headsets because the chip we need is so advanced..."

Yet I can't edit a simple bookmark on the PB's browser!
    That's why I never believed BB10 was ever coming to the playbook.

At this point BBRY will be bought for its IP unless management wakes up from their dreams and decide to PAY to have the top 10 consumer apps ported and pre-installed on all phones going forward.
    08-13-13 08:09 AM
    ...It may be purchased for the IP...
    Nope, too many exceptions/soft entries made in the past thus Microsoft got its core already.
    08-13-13 10:57 AM

Thanks for the laugh.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-13-13 11:06 AM
    Yet I can't edit a simple bookmark on the PB's browser!
    This was one of the major problems I saw with recent RIM offerings. The sort of half-assed nature of everything they were releasing. Say what you will about Android, but the vast majority of the OS, apps, etc. are quite well thought out. You can tell that devs really used the apps and thought about the best way to make them. Sometimes they're wrong, but you can tell they at least gave it some thought.

Lots of what RIM has released since about 2011 just seems to have been rushed out the door. The details are missing. Usability is all about the little details. Because if you miss a little detail it can drastically affect usability. Like not being able to sort or edit your bookmarks. Like not being able to dial from a SMS screen. Things like that. Just little thing that add up.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-13-13 03:03 PM
    Hi!

Last week I bought a Playbook because I believed that it was still recieving BB10.
    Christian
    ....awkward....

Sorry bud, but you made a mistake. the Playbook is still a decent tablet but it's not going to get BB10 unless someone finds a way to "DIY-Macguyver" more RAM onto it, it's likely never going to happen.
    08-13-13 03:15 PM