Ok I just bought the BB OEM keyboard from futureshop and my first impressions are this, wow this thing is super heavy with the PB in it and THICK...like a bloody bigmac! LOL but typing on here (typing with it now) is fun, and the little track pad is fun too...surfing the internet is def more fun with the keyboard and later I'm gonna put this sucker to the test and type out a document and see how it fairs, thought I would let you guys know how this fairs out
    06-28-12 05:20 PM
    Just got a notice this morning from the CB store that mine shipped out today, very excited to be getting it in a few days. Once I get Remote Desktop set up properly on my laptop, I'll never have to take it out of the house again!
    06-28-12 05:30 PM
    I gotta get one. I enjoy the ability to type on the screen but that keyboard is just cool.
    06-28-12 05:42 PM
    I love the OEM keyboard but you're right with the case it's quite thick and heavy. The good news is that you don't have to use the case. The keyboard itself is light & I have used the keyboard while the PB was in the rapid charger. Pretty sweet!
    06-28-12 05:42 PM
    wow so I think I'm really set up with my PB, so check this out! I have a creative WP-300BT headphones for all my music and movie needs so I dont disturbe anyone which they sound fantastic!

then I have my BB BT keyboard for all my typing needs and other stuff...

then I got my 12' HDMI cable for all my movie and surfing needs since I can control it with my BB phone that I connect to my 32" toshiba TV

and finally I have a BB Torch 9860 to bridge and connect to my PB when I'm on the road and there is no wifi which is connected to my car mount so I can stream all my music and movies(when in traffic)

not bad huh? LOL
    FF22, jafobabe, 00stryder and 2 others like this.
    06-28-12 06:46 PM
    A man and his toys. I think you will win "the guy who dies with the most toys wins" game today!
    00stryder likes this.
    06-28-12 07:40 PM
    yea! and proud of it LOL
    06-28-12 08:00 PM
    Who sells those headphones? I see INDIA and other foreign links.
    06-28-12 08:31 PM
    well you can buy them at the creative website directly, but I was lucky to snag one at zellers when they were closing down and got it for next to nothing! LOL also perhaps you can try on ebay? but I gott say they are awesome headphones...so comfortable and they block most of the sound cuzz of the padded ear piece covers, and the bass on them is so good!
    06-28-12 09:11 PM
    That mount on the windshield would never fly in the USA at least not in my state.
    06-28-12 11:54 PM
    That mount on the windshield would never fly in the USA at least not in my state.
    what is the big deal? I don't get it and where does everyone put thier GPS? in the glove compartment? seriously! it makes no differance if you look at the radio to change the station or turn up/down the volume or if you look at the PB/GPS/ipod/MP3 player that is mounted in the window like I have it...at least how I have it mounted its at eye level so I can keep a view of the street and change the next song...personally thats my view
    06-29-12 12:05 AM
    It is considered to be blocking are fairly large portion of viewable area or field of view. It is not merely the footprint of the rectangle but a wider swath of area given perspective and angles. In addition to possibly distracting you from driving/attention. Audible turn directions are one thing but studying a map for turns or street names is entirely different. Not that folks are not already distracted by tuning radios, reading paper maps, eating, applying makeup.....

Many US states have banned use in that manner. How can anyone know you were not watching your favorite tv show?
    06-29-12 12:49 AM
    @beman39
    Wow that's cool ! But I like the fact that I can connect my PB to my 43" (or 110cm) HD tv than I bridge it so that I have a remote
    06-29-12 01:01 AM
    I'm happy with the keyboard, but not the case. Makes the kit WAY too heavy. I have a lightweight canvas book jacket from Chapters (meant for hard cover novels) which holds my Playbook nicely on one side and the keyboard on the other for carrying/protection. Even cut a hole in the spine area so I can charge it while it's stored. Now all I need is some kind of very thin folding device to hold the Playbook up when I want to use it as a netbook and I'm all set.
    06-29-12 01:09 AM
    Agree with the other posters. I like the keyboard, and like the case... But it makes the combo heavy. It still is a great combo however, and I guess I'll just have to get used to the weight.

It is still lighter than my laptop which is freakin heavy...

Edit:

I just checked after, and it isn't the keyboard that adds the weight, it's the case. So maybe a case change might help.

On another side note, the two finger scrolling on the touchpad for web site's is that easy. It is personally easier to use the touch screen in those cases.

I am still mixed on whether I'll keep this keyboard. It is a great keyboard, but for the price, I am not sure if it is worth it. The touchpad, I haven't really found a benefit when you have a touch screen...
    Last edited by menaknow; 07-05-12 at 10:19 AM.
    07-05-12 10:14 AM
    I took some others' suggestion and used the pb's original neoprene case for the keyboard when I flew to LA recently. I did not want the combo out on my tray-top table while watching video and it was safely tucked into my carry-on.
    07-05-12 12:16 PM
    Ive had the blackberry mini keyboard for about a week now and im loving it. It is true it is pretty heavy the combination but right now it does not bother me. I will probably create a separate thread getting other peoples opinion for a case that will hold the keyboard and playbook and see what is out there. I would prefer to keep them in one case and not carry them separate....
    07-05-12 12:20 PM
    As I mentioned before, I got the keyboard but didn't like the weight of the case. Instead I used a canvas cover intended for hardcover books from Chapters to carry the Playbook and the keyboard.

The hole I cut in the middle was to allow for the power cord to go in so I can charge it and store it easily. You'll also note a little eyeglass rag tucked in to clean the screen with.

This solves the weight problem, but doesn't solve the problem of having a stand for the Playbook screen. Rather than buying something that was overpriced and/or overweight, I designed this using a couple of expired debit cards.

I used duct tape to tether the two halfs so that it won't slide open all the way. Reinforced it using a staple. Bare bones, of course, but it works very well and stores flush against the Playbook in the canvas holder. Virtually no extra weight or size added.

Just call me McGuyver
    Last edited by mossfoot; 07-05-12 at 01:49 PM.
    FF22 and axllebeer like this.
    07-05-12 01:39 PM
    Mossfoot, that has to be one of the smallest/thinnest stands I've seen. How did you bend/tape that bottom lip?
    07-05-12 04:01 PM
    Mossfoot, that has to be one of the smallest/thinnest stands I've seen. How did you bend/tape that bottom lip?
    The stand was made with two old debit cards, taped together at the top, with the tether in between I mentioned before.

I scored the plastic with an exacto knife enough to make a clean bend (but made sure not to cut too deep!), then used a thin line of shoe goo (or use your rubber cement of choice) to reinforce the edge so it doesn't snap, and to provide a bit of grip on slippery surfaces. I then trimmed it so it was no thicker than the Playbook iteself to facilitate storage. I cut the second card at the desired length to provide the angle I wanted for the stand.

Simple DIY project, and it can slip in pretty much whatever case you have your Playbook stored in.
    07-05-12 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD