Help, my playbook 16Gig is downloading like crazy for a month now even when it is turned off and on standby.
    about 1.3Gig of bandwith, on average on a 10 hour period, while I am at work!
    most of it are download 0.9Gig.
    I don't have any peer to peer app on the playbook. I don't watch movies. I don't have Netflix.
    I deleted my connection to my mail account (yahoo).
    I deleted almost all apps that I downloaded from AppWorld that need the web lik Box and Evernote.
    Is there a corrupted app? is it infected ?
    Finally, I have found noone on the net who has a similar problem.
    Help!!! Has anyone suffered the same problem?
    Basically, my playbook is soon going to be for sale...
    I bought the playbook because I love the BB user interface. I prefer it to Android (my phone ICS) and iOS (my old iPod touch); but this makes me regret my decision.
    11-27-12 06:41 PM
    When did you buy the playbook? Where from?
    11-27-12 06:54 PM
    I just looked around: How did/do you ascertain the downloading amounts?

But be that as it may, have you loaded any Android apps, either from appworld or sideloaded them? They can sometimes continue to run even if you "terminated or ended" them.

Also, you can try using one of the restart methods and see if that changes your results:

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    poutine64 likes this.
    11-27-12 07:33 PM
    I bought the playbook in early September at BestBuy Canada.
    My problems coincided with my upgrade/switch to optic fiber Net connection with Bell Canada. (FIBE).
    On my network, the only connections are my recognized 'electronic' computers, phones, and so on.
    I changed my passwords everywhere : modem, accounts, ssid wifi.
    11-27-12 07:35 PM
    Well, it seems pretty straight forward, devices can't download when they are turned off. So tell your neighbor to stop hacking your wifi and downloading movies illegaly
    Cracklen likes this.
    11-27-12 07:38 PM
    Android apps on my device run processes in the background all the time. I counter with a task killer and if they continue to misbehave I finally use a memory killer and crash the Android player.
    11-27-12 07:46 PM
    @SlcCorrado : my internet provider gave me the data usage stats, and I checked them very often, many times a day.
    that's how I learned that some computer was downloading or uploading.

my modem / connection hub also tells me all the devices that did make a connection to it since it was installed, and they are all my devices (like I wrote earlier, the devices are all identified).
    there is no hacked computer (that I know of);

it also tells me which device is connected via wifi.
    the modem shows that the playbook and the laptop are connected.
    when the playbook is on standby/turned off (but not shut down), its wifi connection is still maintained.
    as soon as I turn off the wifi on the playbook, the modem shows that only the laptop is still connected.

this is how I learned that when the playbook is connected by wifi, my bandwith usage just explodes.

@F2 : I did reboot many times before and I did it again following your instructions.

I do not install any Android app either..

Thanks everyone for your help but my Playbook still misbehave!
    11-28-12 12:38 AM
    What's apps are you left with on your playbook?
    poutine64 likes this.
    11-28-12 12:59 AM
    Do you have any email accounts set up in the Native Email app (not Bridge bb phone email)? In some cases MANUAL sync seems to run down the battery very fast - that MIGHT mean that the pb is "checking" your mail much too often (leading to the battery drain). Pure speculation.
    11-28-12 09:06 AM
    Then I'm calling bull
    poutine64 likes this.
    11-28-12 02:24 PM
    Sounds like total BS to me. Shut your playbook right off i bet you will still be using DATA. Pretty obvious someone is in your router when you leave...

You said it yourself: My problems coincided with my upgrade/switch to optic fiber Net connection with Bell Canada. (FIBE).

ASK THEM it has ZERO to do with your playbook...
    poutine64 likes this.
    11-28-12 03:02 PM
    I just called Bell tech for the x times. I reset my ISP account password and my net connection pasword.
    He finally said that it look like someone is using my account.
    Hope things are settled. I will check the bandwith consumption for the next 3 days.
    I told them that why does it have to fall on the client to make the case.
    Thanks, SparkyBC and SlcCorrado.

Footnote :
    Before that, things were weird: My Playbook is on sleep mode but the modem keep saying that it is still connected (via the MAC address). That's why I thought it was the playbook's fault.
    I reset everything on my playbook on Thursday and tested it. The modem behave correctly : no connection when the wifi on the book is off or the plane mode is on or the playbook is on sleep mode.
    But since I did not get to read my web consumption until Friday. I shut everything on Friday and Saturday (morning), and proved that the fault is with Bell.
    12-01-12 03:48 PM
    Thanks. I learned a few things about the icons..
    12-01-12 03:50 PM
    Footnote :
    Before that, things were weird: My Playbook is on sleep mode but the modem keep saying that it is still connected (via the MAC address). That's why I thought it was the playbook's fault.
    I reset everything on my playbook on Thursday and tested it. The modem behave correctly : no connection when the wifi on the book is off or the plane mode is on or the playbook is on sleep mode.
    But since I did not get to read my web consumption until Friday. I shut everything on Friday and Saturday (morning), and proved that the fault is with Bell.
    If you understood how Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP) works you would know IP address leases expire after a configured time-out period. Therefore, simply disconnecting a device with a DHCP-assigned IP address from the network does not immediately remove the MAC address of that device. Have you configured WPA or WPA2 for WiFi authentication? Is your ISP userid and password easily guessable by trial-and-error or dictionary attack?
    12-01-12 04:04 PM