Does anyone know if BlackBerry is considering applying the BB10 operating system software onto the PlayBook anytime in the future? It would seem that it would make sense to do so. It would not only extend the life of use for those who already own one but, also revitalize the sale of it as well. Once the public has seen how well laid out BB10 is, RIM can and most likely should extend it's capability onto the PlayBook. The PlayBook seems quite capable of handling a modified version of the OS.
    carlyincanada likes this.
    11-25-12 01:02 AM
    the plan all along has been to put bb10 on the playbook after the phones are released in q1
    daizymom likes this.
    11-25-12 01:07 AM
    How is the 1gb of ram going to support it
    11-25-12 01:09 AM
    I have a similar question- is playbook's current hardware capable of running BB10 OS???? Is 1 gb of ram sufficient????
    11-25-12 01:26 AM
    hopefully it will. At this point we dont know anything other than what rim has stated
    11-25-12 01:51 AM
    QNX is very efficient. Should be good.
    11-25-12 02:06 AM
    The Dev Alpha's only have 1Gb RAM and it runs BB10 fine...
    BB10FTW likes this.
    11-25-12 02:08 AM
    All our playbook bought at low price (my64GB at 199€) are going to have a new life with bb10
    11-25-12 04:07 AM
    My bottom line - I already own the original version of the pb. It will do what it does when bb10 is finally released for it (ignoring my cynical - if it is released!). There will be sufficient memory and it will work well or there won't be enough and it will crawl. Not much I can do and I certainly can't worry about it for the next 6 months!!
    11-25-12 09:23 AM
    They have said that we can expect that they have taking the appropriate steps to make sure it works well on the PlayBook. If you want something with more speed you can get the L series or the A series (omg) and finally just get a 4g PlayBook or wait until the next gen PlayBook is announced. Who knows it could be a lot sooner than we all think.
    adadadad likes this.
    11-25-12 02:26 PM
    My corporate BB report tells me that BB10 will be available on the playbook "soon" after the new phones launch. I also questioned him about the playbook hardware being sufficient for BB10 and he expressed to me that it will not have a problem, due to the way qnx is designed to be highly efficient.
    carlyincanada, kbz1960 and Tim1131 like this.
    11-25-12 06:02 PM
    the question is now how our old 2.1 Apps will work with BB10
    all the Apps developers will have to convert the old Apps to BB10
    what about the Androids Apps, will they rum on BB10?
    and lets start days dreaming ..................... Skype, Netflix on BB10 wow
    11-25-12 06:21 PM
    the question is now how our old 2.1 Apps will work with BB10
    all the Apps developers will have to convert the old Apps to BB10
    what about the Androids Apps, will they rum on BB10?
    and lets start days dreaming ..................... Skype, Netflix on BB10 wow
    RIM is already taking care of this with a few select apps (i.e. quality apps) on the current PlayBook software. They sent an email to devs a little while back and I think there was a CB post about it.
    11-25-12 10:45 PM
    RIM is already taking care of this with a few select apps (i.e. quality apps) on the current PlayBook software. They sent an email to devs a little while back and I think there was a CB post about it.
    I hope they do better than with version 2.1. My favorite app, Stellarium, stopped working.
    11-26-12 05:11 AM
    I hope they do better than with version 2.1. My favorite app, Stellarium, stopped working.
    I just wish for important things -- flawless browser (no checkerboards), a quality PDF Reader, and native apps like skype, opera, Dolphin HD .. and nothing else.!!
    bbfan1040 and carlyincanada like this.
    11-26-12 05:45 AM
    How do you know what the minimum system requirements are or aren't of BlackBerry 10?
    11-26-12 06:25 AM
    1GB of RAM will definitely be fine. That'll probably be what RIM uses for the equivalent of the Curve line. They need something cheap to sell, and a dual-core S4 ~1GHz with 1GB RAM would serve that role nicely. I'm rather surprised though, given the PB will work with BB10, that they don't have a 1024x600 res option for a phone with a 3.7" screen, or thereabouts, so they can really hit the low end as well.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    11-26-12 06:35 AM
    My bottom line - I already own the original version of the pb. It will do what it does when bb10 is finally released for it (ignoring my cynical - if it is released!). There will be sufficient memory and it will work well or there won't be enough and it will crawl. Not much I can do and I certainly can't worry about it for the next 6 months!!
    F2, time is going fast!!! We only have about two months to launch!!!
    11-26-12 01:02 PM
    The same way the phones with 1gb RAM will support it
    11-26-12 01:03 PM
    Ugh, can't we PLEASE have 1 thread about BB10 NOT mention Skype or Netflix... 1 if not both Apps WILL be there on launch day!!
    11-26-12 01:07 PM
    Ugh, can't we PLEASE have 1 thread about BB10 NOT mention Skype or Netflix... 1 if not both Apps WILL be there on launch day!!
    It's one of the few weapons haters still have
    11-26-12 11:57 PM
    You made a very good point. I don't know whether bb10 will have these appa at launch or not. but I won't buy bb10 if it doesn't have these apps. its the only thing that pisses me off.
    11-27-12 03:51 AM
    You made a very good point. I don't know whether bb10 will have these appa at launch or not. but I won't buy bb10 if it doesn't have these apps. its the only thing that pisses me off.
    Having 1 or both of these apps is not the make or break of the industry. No one NEEDS these apps, people think they do, and they have been conditioned to think that because apple and google offer them, that they are a need.
    11-27-12 04:54 AM
    I think BB10 on the PlayBook will be faster and more efficient than the current OS 2.1 on the existing hardware. OS 2.1 is rather clunky due to code that was rushed through and really hasn't changed much since OS 1.0. I suspect there are a lot of non-native processes running in 2.1 that will be replaced with native processes in BB10. Have faith!
    kbz1960 and BB_Bmore like this.
    11-27-12 05:53 AM
    I have 3 people regularly on my Skype contact list that are actually online. One of them lives with me. Skype is fairly unimportant there.

My Girlfriend got the Nexus 7 rather than the PB because of Netflix, she installed it, used it a few times and went straight back to watching it on the HDTV. There could be some situations in which you would really need Netflix on a tablet, but it's not really that practical.
    11-27-12 06:03 AM
70 123